This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempted break-in

Today, I stopped at Lidl in Penzance and when I returned to my Romahome I found pry marks on the lower stable door at the back of the van.

Fortunately, I had locked it the way I usually do, which is to fasten the catches at the bottom and then lock the door at the top.

My thinking has always been that if anyone gets the top door open, they will be find themselves unable to pop in instantly and the extra seconds might help dissuade them.

In this case, they tried to pry the bottom door, but as the catches were secure, they were unable to get in. I am sure a bit more work would have gotten them in, but perhaps someone interrupted them, or they saw me returning to the van. Perhaps even the jiggle alarm on the door went off and they didn't want to attract attention to themselves.

Anyway, I am happy to report that the only damage is some bent frame and minor cracks on the door.

If the door had only been secured by the lock, I think it more likely they would have gotten in, but that is hard to say. Needless to say, I will continue to lock the door in two parts.

Just a reminder that we have to be as cautious as possible when locking up and leaving the camper, even for 10 minutes.

It is ironic that after travelling in what would seem more dangerous parts of Europe, like Albania and Romania, this happens in Cornwall.

Perhaps the difference is the new window in that door that Ant just installed for me, replacing the one with gaffer tape covering a large hole, that has served me well for almost 2 years.

Peter
    http://nomadness.benlo.com
    Last edited by GeoNomad; 18-04-2011, 09:02.

That's typical you travel all over Europe and then someone attempts to break in your van in a Penzance supermarket car park of all places.

Glad there was not a lot of damage and that they didn't manage to steal anything, a timely warning for all of us not to be complacent not matter where we park.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Peter.
      Sorry to hear that, but it does,as you say make securing the two halves of a C15 door essential. Not only to deter would be baddies but also if you want a chance of keeping the wet out the bottom door needs to be secured.
      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
        Hi Peter.
        Sorry to hear that, but it does,as you say make securing the two halves of a C15 door essential. Not only to deter would be baddies but also if you want a chance of keeping the wet out the bottom door needs to be secured.
        Ant
        I'm just glad they didn't break the new window you installed for me!

It's not just wet. I found when travelling on dusty roads that if the bottom door is not fully secured, the dust comes in and things get grotty around the cookstove pretty quickly.

You were the first to give me the advice of securing the door when driving and I have heeded it ever since, both driving and parking.

Heading to the Lizard, may the good weather continue...

Peter

Comment

Pleased for you that the baddies didn't manage to break in but as Graham says 'a timely warning for us all to secure our vans' whenever and wherever.
          Enjoy the Lizard, a lovely time of the year to be in this part of our beautiful island, so long as the weather holds.

Comment

Just been outside to secure both halves of my C15 door! It never occurred to me to do that before. Thanks for the tip. What a shame about the damage but thank goodness they didn't manage to get in. (Am in Penzance tomorrow, en route Scilly Isles, hope the rain stays away! )

Comment

door lockes

i have put a garden shed arlarm on back door and try to find sum ware to revers up to how meaney of u keep the door locked as u travel a well diggdeep

Comment

I have been thinking about an alarm for our Duo. Where we live is safe but its when your not home and have to leave the van. Any suggestions folks. What would be a good security alarm. I wouldnt want one that goes off "willy nilly" as poor old Barney would have a heart attack
                Sorry to hear about your attempted break in, really peees me off, hearing stuff like that.

Comment

I think Romahome must have not given much thought to the rear door locks on the C15. I have 3 bolts on mine and I'm thinking of making a flame thrower too for the invaders.

Comment

So glad they didn't get in Peter. My van was broken into a couple of years ago on christmas night by some twelve year old kids, who tried to steal the van and when they couldn't, chose to vandalise it instead. Luckily a neighbour spotted them and confronted them. It cost me a bit to repair the damage but I didn't lose the van and only a couple of small things were stolen, but it was horrible. I guess we all just have to try to keep our vans as secure as possible.

A question though - how do you double lock the doors on a C15?

DJ Sooz

Comment

Originally posted by djsooz View Post
                      My van was broken into a couple of years ago on christmas night by some twelve year old kids,

DJ Sooz
                      Actually, this van was vandalized on Boxing Day, 2006, so it is not a virgin in that regard. That was shortly before I bought it and I suspect that the emotional effect was one of the reasons the original owner sold it, even though all the damage was repaired. Bit of a pain, though.

I think different C15 models have different styles of catches. This 1991 has pretty robust ones that do a good job of keeping the door closed. I use the latches on the lower door and the lock on the top door. The "jiggle alarm" is a Quorum Pool Elert that is a pretty sensitive motion detector and works well to at least make a noise if someone tampers with the door. I think I paid £5 for it, way back when.

I always lock it when driving, as I could easily imagine someone popping in while stopped at a red light, but as far as I know, it has never been attempted, even though I have stopped in some pretty dodgy red light areas.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by djsooz View Post

DJ Sooz
                        If you have a door with two halves, first shut the bottom door then lean over and push the snib into place, like you would do at night. Then close the top half of the door and lock as normal. I think!

My caravan door is all in once piece, so its just locked with a key. I just hope someone doesn't give it a try, I don't think it would be too hard to get into.

Was thinking about buying one of these
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Caravan-Door-S...item5198e4bfee
                        or one of these
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiamma-Magnum-...item588da4d9ac

However, the price of both is extremely off-putting! I also don't know if my microlite walls would actually be strong/wide enough to fit one!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X