This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calling DEMOUNTABLE POD OWNERS - register of numbers

As you are probably aware Romahome stamped a series of numbers on the door frame below the hinge of the upper door. The owners of the Romini Caravans have a similar numbering system. From these numbers they have created a data base. Would the demountable pod owners on here be interested in doing the same?
    I think the info should be - the number - single skin (Ant calls "eggshell") or Doubleskin - fixed or opening windows - gas bottle location. Anyone else have ideas of what else we need?
    Jon

A couple of years ago I tried to find out how many de-mountable owners used this forum and only received about 3 replies ? There may be more on here now though !

Our Pod was designed to fit a Diahatsu and we have the blanking plate with this molded into it.
    The number stamped into the door frame appeas to be 186 with 601 underneath (see photo)
    The bottom of the door and frame are rounded the same as the top (one i had had a square bottom)
    It had fixed windows but i changed these to opening windows taken from a donor pod that was written off with a rear end shunt.
    It has two roof vents and a solar fan in the Luton
    It had what i think s was the original light brown check upholstery on the seats (although i have now recovered it.) and the kitchen doors are the original chipboard with woodgrain effect
    The walls have a beige carpet like covering on them as does the ceiling and luton ( the luton linings are custom molded to fit)
    The Kitchen end has double skin (the kitchen cupboard units are fitted in to the existing shell )
    Inside and out the fibreglass is beige, (the other two i had were white) and the outside of the pod below the windows has a mottled effect in the fibreglass (some i have seen are smooth)
    it never had the cut out in the sink cupboard kick plate for the "whale" foot operated pump as some had.
    There are curtain stretchers fitted across above the seat backs, under the window to hold the curtains tight to the sides to alleviate the curve of the pod (all 3 pods have had these)
    It came to us with brown and orange coach stripes and the i & P for Island plastics (the one i refurbished still had the Island Plastics manufacturers sticker on it) We have a pair of the original jacking legs and there are steadies bolted to its underside of the pod at the back (all 3 pods i have had have had these)
    Attached Files

Comment

Pete
      Thank you for kicking us off - Now to nudge LLewelyn, Tigerfish, John Wilson, Sandy 64, Chrisg149, Daydreamer, Bluebelle - I bet there are more out there - no doubt we can get Graham to put a sticky on the thread.
      Jon
      Last edited by kernowjon; 29-09-2017, 16:03.

Comment

Oh dear...I have no numbers on mine at all....but consider me nudged, and here is what I can offer anyway....
        Definitely a later pod from my own understanding of these, tho unclear if its a double skin one, as need to see the two variants..
        Opening windows
        Beige fibreglass everywhere, kitchen is all moulded in the same stuff, kitchen doors are as well.
        On sink side, There is wardrobe (carpeted inside, with an upper wooden shelf) above the sink, and below, a flap with two switches poss for gas and something..., and a hole for...?? (cutlery tray according to the you tube video guy), then under that, a two door storage cupboard, and at the bottom, another small cupboard, that opens by flapping down.
        The sink tap appears to turn like a traditional tap. No switches, tho there appears to be a small pump near the water tank. (all yet to be investigated in full)
        On the cooker side, there is a cupboard above, a flat wall, then a Vanessa cooker. Some have a small pocket type shelf, between the cupboard and cooker, mine does not. Nice big hole for a fridge however, that shows there are two layers of fibreglass material (outer pod shell, and inner kitchen moulding). No idea what was there, but outside there is a vent/metal thing that says electrolux, pretty much behind the cooker..
        Also outside (cooker side) are two battery holders behind a locked flap, one for the cab, the other is empty...maybe a leisure battery spot?
        two skylights in a ceiling that is shaped, not flat with a centre parting like some earlier ones.
        Seating is in a blue and white check...no idea if its the original cover, but the same material is on the outside of the 'over window shelf', and 'over cab lip'. It is simple fabric cover with velcro closing, and no buttoning. Inside these covers are simple foam pads and wooden boarding (all separate) When its all together, there are wooden bars screwed through the underside fabric and the wooden base, to prevent slippage of the seat whilst vehicle is moving.
        There is no original carpet on the floor, just a blue runner mat.
        I also have the curtain stretchers just above the seats to hold the curtains in place.
        Walls and ceiling are covered in beige carpet like stuff, and it appears there was a heater at the cab end.
        Kitchen flaps, lower onto very simple angular shelf supports (brown Plastic)
        My gas bottle is outside, and behind a little locked door, on the same side as the sink.
        Think there may have been power once, and this may be on the opposite side of the wagon to the gas bottle...(yet to be fully investigated as well)
        Last edited by Sandy64; 02-10-2017, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
          no doubt we can get Graham to put a sticky on the thread.
          Jon
          Or me

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post

Or me
            Thank you Pauline - sorry I did not mean to ignore you. There is no Mea Culpa smiley

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Thank you Pauline - sorry I did not mean to ignore you. There is no Mea Culpa smiley
              I was only teasing

I generally leave Graham to it, as they say you don't have a dog and bark yourself

Comment

I have a 1986 Romahome demountable pod, on its 3rd base vehicle, an imported Honda Acty / Attack of 2003. Island Plastic's serial number is 186 496 which I've always taken to mean unit number 496 made in January 1986. The vehicle was first registered that month too. Owned in Lincoln, Newark, Warwick, Louth and Spalding before me. I bought it in 2001 in Sheringham, Norfolk and have kept it in Norwich ever since. Base vehicles were Honda Acty 550 from 1986; Daihatsu 1300 from 2004; Honda Attack 650 from 2009. Alan

Comment

It seems that interpretation of the Pod serial numbers Is another guesswork problem as with the Rominis. Surely there is someone out there who worked for Island Plastics at the relevant time who can verify how they should be read? JIm.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

My Number as previously posted looks like 186 601, so i cannot see that being right. I doubt that a small-ish company like Island Plastics would be able to turn out 601 pods in January of 1986... I would expect that may just about managed that number in a year !

Comment

IMG_3760.jpgIMG_4140.jpgIMG_4144.jpgIMG_3761.jpgIMG_4138.jpgIMG_4143.jpgIMG_3762.jpg

Ok Here in is mine.

The Number that's stamped onto the door frame is 186 514. The pod was originally fitted to a 1987 Honda Acty, and thanks to advice from this site I was able to move the pod to a 2009 Piaggio Porter. As you'll see from the pictures it has fixed windows. Given that it was 30 years old I had to get a local car window shop to fit new seals. I got the exterior repainted locally to match the van cab.

The interior doors were pretty tatty so I made some new ones from MDF and painted them a suitable colour to freshen it up and keep it looking a bit 80's. I also repainted the interior fibreglass with suitable fibreglass paint in a cream colour to keep it looking original too.

The original cooker and fridge were also at the end of their working lives so I have replaced those with new ones, the fridge being a 12v/240v 2 way. This made me fit a 240v hook up kit to the van to allow me to power this on campsites. This allows for a couple of 240v sockets, and allows me to use a battery charger to keep the leisure battery topped up. I also fitted 100w solar system to the roof to keep the van and leisure battery topped up when it's not in use.

All of the original lining carpets were worn out or stained from leaks over the years, so I ripped out the panels, and fitted new ones covered in Barley lining carpet.

Water is supplied to the sink via a pump under the sink. The pump is activated with a micro switch in the tap. Water is stored in a 15 litre removable water tank.

Lighting in the pod was originally supplied with standard 12v fluorescent lamps, so these have been replaced with 2 12V LEDs, a further pair of spot lamps were fitted at the back of the luton. All the new lamps together use less power than one of the old ones, progress eh?

Comment

looks very "fresh" for its years...well done

Comment

I see you have blanked off the end window too and fitted one the same size as the cab rear window

Comment

Hi John,
                            Thank you for the post and all the info I am going to start a spreadsheet.

The van looks really nice. Is your replacement stove a Coleman?
                            Back door of the van have you altered it or is that how it was? Mine has a window in both halves I saw a C reg Acty on Ebay and that also had the window in both halves.
                            Any other Pod owners we need the info - Llewelyn1984 where are you?
                            Jon

Comment

This is one with the flat bottom door like i refurbished last year but that had a window in the bottom section..

Comment