Leaking sun roof form hinges end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking sun roof form hinges end

hi all, a newbie here. We bought our c15 J Reg Hylo just over a month ago, drove it from Great Yarmouth to Scotland in pouring rain, no leaks as far as we could see. Went to Aviemore thean Wales, all in bad weather and didn't spot a leak. But! What we assumed were condensation drips on the sink area has turned out to be a slow steady leak during wet weather coming in around the inner seal at the hinges end of the sun roof. The previous owner didn't mention this so I wonder if it's new. I have good silicone sealant so was going to put that on the edges of the external seal but before I do, any thoughts, is this a common fault? Otherwise our pod was cosy and dry apart from those drips on sink area during a storm a few weeks ago so this has come as a shock. We are parked on a slight slope with the sunroof end being at the bottom, would this cause water to seep down if it had been building up in the seal? We've only opened the sun roof once, when trying out all the bits and bobs when we bought it. Ideas for cure and cause!

Hi Judy,

Before using any sealant, try completely removing the sunroof glass and thoroughly cleaning all around the rubbers that are left in place on the roof.. The glass part does come right out. You can then stick your head through the hole and pretend to be a tank commander, but I digress....

Check for leaves and crud etc. around the hinge area particularly and then smear some Vaseline around the rubbers once it is all clean. Once you've done this, refit the sunroof glass and then check that there isn't a visible gap near where it is has been leaking and also try pressing it down to see if it is a loose fit around there. If it does seem a bit loose or 'sprung up' around the hinge, you can slightly bend the metal tang or tongue on the actual glass sunroof to make it a tighter fit. There are two of these and they locate the sunroof in to its surround. Don't over adjust, just a small tweak will alter the fit.

Cleaning rubbers and adjusting tangs often stops any leaks, before doing any major surgery.

Hope this helps and makes sense. If it isn't clear, let me know and I'll try and take a couple of photos to further explain.

Panda
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 01-10-2017, 16:41.
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Hi Judy, As Panda says - completely remove the frame - be prepared to replace the screws - assuming the skylight has never been removed the old sealant is well passed its life expectancy. You may find other seals and the window rubbers are also near the end of their life - old rubber feels "rock hard" it has lost flexibility and no longer seals onto the window and vehicle sides.
      For best seal use Sikaflex 221 a PU sealant.
      If you need to replace rubber seals go to http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
      Jon

Comment

Thank you so much! We've just put Vaseline on the external rubber seal and hinges for now with some temporary silicon sealant at the edges, and I've ordered the sikaflex stuff. When it stops raining (sometime in June next year, this Scotland after all) will do all of the above including tank commander/meerkat impression

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Barrow View Post
          When it stops raining (sometime in June next year, this Scotland after all) will do all of the above including tank commander/meerkat impression
          love it

Comment

When it stops raining (sometime in June next year, this Scotland after all) will do all of the above including tank commander/meerkat impression
            Judy In those conditions maybe I recommended to you the wrong sealant. Sikaflex is easier to source but requires dry surfaces - Geocell Works will stick munder any conditions
            http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Prod...t-dry-adhesive
            I collected a caravan once in pouring rain - no place to screw on the number plate so we stuck our plate onto the rear of the van - no screws no bolts - 100 miles later (it rained all the way home) the plate was still in place. 2 years later when we sold the van it took us 15 mins sliding a thin blade under to get the number plate off. I know about rain I live in Cornwall in the summer we call it "l;iquid sunshine" also I have lived in Edinburgh and Greenock.
            Jon

Comment

The rubber has probably been nibbled by the midges....they bite EVERTHING else !

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                The rubber has probably been nibbled by the midges....they bite EVERTHING else !
                3 months later and the scars are just healed Being a sucker its Scotland next April see my son and grandchildren andto do the North 500
                Jon

Comment

Aaaah! More woes. We've Vaselined the seals and used the sealant on the rubber edges inside and out. Still leaking a little from the skylight but not as much. BUT! As of today we now have found a pool of water forming in the back door step well, it's a mini swimming pool. The carpet sucked it all into the floor between the seats, but the top of carpet is drier than the underneath so we don't think it's coming down from the skylight, rather it seems to be seeping upwards from underneath the van??? Lifting the carpet everything floor level up to the cab is soaked. We don't think it's the leak from the skylight as there wasn't any water in the step well before even when the skylight was leaking heavily. Is there a water pipe in the under step bits or between the seats area? The back door is dry inside so it's not coming in there, the cupboards and lockers are all dry. What could this be! We've only had our van just over 5 weeks so a bit sad.......

Comment

Judy, without seeing your van difficult to know.
                    My first thought would be the grey water pipe - in my experience the grey convoluted pipe can become brittle with age check out to see if the leak is in this pipe. If you have a fold up sink unit then imho even more likely for the flexing to eventually break the pipe.
                    On the same subject is there a decent seal where this pipe exits the van?
                    Have you got an onboard water tank? If so trace out the pipes.

Remember the van is about 25 years old it is a credit to Romahome that the fibreglass bodies go on and on. However the other bits do not last so long.
                    MOST IMPORTANT Your flexi gas pipes should have a date stamped on them and be no older than 5 years.
                    Water pipes and wires (if original) need to be replaced over this winter - I would advise updating by changing the lighting from strips to LED units etc.

Jon

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind advice, what a fab forum! I was perplexed about the footwell being flooded as we've camped in the Pod in pouring rain on the two main outings so far and no footwell issues......but....Himself now tells me that he filled the sink a couple of times whilst cleaning the stains off ceiling as made by the sun roof, so I'm wondering if the leak is at the sink plug holes (this is sounding like the Gasman Cometh). The sink hasn't been filled up before because our two outings were to sites with a nearby sink and showers. I looked at the sink plug hole surround and it doesn't sit properly, there's a gap at one edge and it has very little sealant left around it. I've put some of the new sealant round it now and my new question of the day is.....would a leak around sink plug hole outer rim fall straight into the void under the sink and thence into footwell? The plug and plug hole fit ok and of course water would drain into the pipe from the plug hole ...I'm talking about the bit surrounding the plug hole ....it would possibly leak past the pipe area? Clutching at straws.....

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kind advice, what a fab forum! I was perplexed about the footwell being flooded as we've camped in the Pod in pouring rain on the two main outings so far and no footwell issues......but....Himself now tells me that he filled the sink a couple of times whilst cleaning the stains off ceiling as made by the sun roof, so I'm wondering if the leak is at the sink plug holes (this is sounding like the Gasman Cometh). The sink hasn't been filled up before because our two outings were to sites with a nearby sink and showers. I looked at the sink plug hole surround and it doesn't sit properly, there's a gap at one edge and it has very little sealant left around it. I've put some of the new sealant round it now and my new question of the day is.....would a leak around sink plug hole outer rim fall straight into the void under the sink and thence into footwell? The plug and plug hole fit ok and of course water would drain into the pipe from the plug hole ...I'm talking about the bit surrounding the plug hole ....it would possibly leak past the pipe area? Clutching at straws.....
                        Judy, IN simple terms - yes it would!!!!
                        The solution is not sealing from the top - you need to get at the sink from underneath loosen the sink plug hole fitting - lift it clean out the gunge - then new silicone seal and retighten.
                        An easy check - wait until winter and a full refurbish as I outlined put food dye in some water - put the water in the sink and with a torch check out the nooks and crannies for drips, seaps, and oozes - big leaks will be obvious.
                        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

Judy, IN simple terms - yes it would!!!!
                          The solution is not sealing from the top - you need to get at the sink from underneath loosen the sink plug hole fitting - lift it clean out the gunge - then new silicone seal and retighten.
                          An easy check - wait until winter and a full refurbish as I outlined put food dye in some water - put the water in the sink and with a torch check out the nooks and crannies for drips, seaps, and oozes - big leaks will be obvious.
                          Jon
                          Excellent advice, I'm going to have a busy winter...we are usually all year rounders taking our van on trips throughout the winter if we can, snow permitting. Looks like we shall be nurturing our new Hylo before heading off again, thank you Jon, for the great suggestions

Comment

Judy in case you haven't found them yet - loads of manuals to download
                            http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html
                            and if you need them of course.
                            Jon

Comment

Oh my gosh..I had a wet foot well and assumed it has been an open door during the rain that had done it. A wooden bit in the floor was rotten thru with saturation.... I too had been using the sink, so I now wonder........

Comment