This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
    I once caught someone in my garden, obviously up to no good. I grabbed a garden fork and threw it at them, javelin style. They ran off. I often wonder what the consequences would have been if my fork had met its target. On reflection it is probably a good thing that they ran faster than the fork flew. I knew who it was, one of the professional social security thieving family from up the road. I calculated that I had had on average one crime committed against me for every month I had lived in the house. Eventually I sold it to an ex- Special Forces guy, built like a gorilla, who wanted it for the large garage it had so he could put all his fitness equipment in there. I bet the thieving toe rags didn't bother him more than once.
    I was working at Chelsea College in the 60s and the Student Union organised a self defence course at Kingston College aimed mainly at the female students. The principal and various male staff objected because the girls were being taught to fight back," sticking your fingers in someones eyes is not to be encouraged". So,who was more important, the attacker or the victim ? The course was run by an ex Met Police sergeant.His view was "main the blighter, no court will take action against you, and when he turns up in A&E we can arrest him, and it mightsave another girl." The principal forced the closure of the course!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Will insurance companies have regard for photos of items stowed in our vans? There is too much to empty every time we get home and there is no way we have receipts for all the items we have collected over the years.

Comment

If it is anything like when my car was stolen I would suggest unlikely, There was a fixed amount for contents (with my car) though I don't recall how much that was. But I do know we lost out considerably on the deal.

However, I don't know about you, but after that i made sure that camping equipment was covered under our house contents insurance as being temporarily away from home (like my son's music equipment when he was playing gigs.) Again, a fixed amount, and as items specifically named on the house insurance.
        Carpe diem!

Comment

It is a complete nightmare trying to list all of the contents, with receipts if available and links to sites showing current replacement costs. I think most people leave their motorhomes fully loaded ready for a quick get away when the opportunity allows. The list of items just goes on and on and I expect the outcome will be without receipt go whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidick View Post
            It is a complete nightmare trying to list all of the contents, with receipts if available and links to sites showing current replacement costs. I think most people leave their motorhomes fully loaded ready for a quick get away when the opportunity allows. The list of items just goes on and on and I expect the outcome will be without receipt go whistle.
            Not necessarily Jill, when my VW van was stolen the insurance wanted replacement values(and name of places to get them from) receipts where possible,I had none, and they paid up no problems at all. It was a fixed amount £2000.
            Last edited by Ian.C.S; 06-12-2017, 11:23 AM.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Fingers crossed Ian that it works that way for us. You give me hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post

Not necessarily Jill, when my VW van was stolen the insurance wanted replacement values(and name of places to get them from) receipts where possible,I had none, and they paid up no problems at all. It was a fixed amount £2000.
                Same for us when we crashed with our caravan. Camping and Caravanning club insurance were fabulous, a fixed amount, receipts if possible and we even got paid out for stuff that wasn't damaged as it was part of the fixed amount.

Comment

I think a large part of the problem is we, the government have all deluded ourselves that technology can do everything CCTV can do most of the police's job - well it did not find or stop thieves who stole a Mobile Home
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-42165558
                  The trouble with electronic security is there is always the engineers backdoor - which lets the hackers in - watch this video and you will not trust your vans anti-theft devices and imobiliser.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-42132689
                  Note the police advice is step back from the future and get a steering wheel lock!!!
                  Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X