Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxation Class of C15 HYLO - Car-Derived Van or Motorhome?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxation Class of C15 HYLO - Car-Derived Van or Motorhome?

We have recently had our beloved 'Gertie' (originally a 1989 C15-based HYLO) professionally 'swapped' onto a 2006 C15 (and no, we won't be trying to pass her off as a younger model but will be scrupulously honest, should we ever come to sell - hopefully never!) Anyway, I laid all this in front of the insurers who have made it a condition that we get the now 55-Reg Gertie registered with the DVLA as a 'Motorhome'. Looking at the old V5 for the G-reg Gertie, she was always registered as a Car-derived van, so why would we need to change the taxation class for the '55-reg which is currently also 'Car-Derived Van' class?

Looking at the DVLA's website, they seem to put a lot of store by Motorhomes having a 'fixed table' inside, but of course we haven't got any such fitting.

Are there any advantages to being a Motorhome rather than a Car Derived van and is the tax any more or less as i can't make it out on the website?

Your thoughts and experiences of this much appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,

I can't answer the taxation query but generally speaking motorhomes are cheaper to insure which is why people often try to get their vehicles reclassified as such.

When it comes to fixed tables, it doesn't mean that the table is fixed permanently in place but rather that the vehicle has a "fitted" table intended for use in the van. Often this might locate in a mounting plate on the floor or attach to a clip on the wall etc.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Just make sure when submitting photos of the inside that the table is erected and featured. They will probably assume it's fixed

Comment

My H reg C15 wasn't shown as a motor caravan on the V5, I don't think Romahome used to bother re-registering them. My insurance company said that didn't matter to them as they knew what a Romahome was.

If you want to get it re-registered and don't have a table, I still have the one from mine as I forgot to put it back in when I part ex'd it.

Comment

Hi I have reregistered a couple of van conversions. In my experience the DVLA people are quite helpful. Remember what your photos are to prove - that Vehicle XYZ is no longer a van or pick-up but a "Motor Caravan" (no such thing as campervan or motorhome) One of the most important photographs is one taken from the back with the door open so both interior detail and number plate can be seen.
          You may find you need to take several pictures and alter the settings manually - possibly slightly over exposing the exterior to get interior detail you can also try taking the photos with the interior lights on.
          I always take one with the table up - table cloth and some cups on it. Another clearly showing the hobs and fridge also another if need be to show the sink
          Finally take one with the beds made down (I put the sleeping bags out).
          Take several exterior pics to show the conversion of the body - Also in text refer them to the donor vehicle.
          I hope this helps.
          Jon

Comment

I am converting my 2nd doblo. Both have been mpv on the v5. Mpv has the same speed limits as other cars but i think a car derived van has lower speed limits, at least if over 2000kg gvw. The cheaper insurance for campers evaporates in my limited experience if you have the camper as your only vehicle and becomes quite expensive if you do lots of miles. I would be interested if anyone can show that insurance for an only vehicle camper with say 15000 miles pa was cheaper after changing the v5
            of course the law is you must get your camper changed to motor caravan if it is one, but as you say there is a list of requirements to comply all easy to fudge so so you do not need to comply if you decide not. Shop around for a sensible insurance quote. If you cannot get cheaper without changing the v5 or know that you could improve your speed limits then change the v5 if it is worth it. It should not be difficult to change a romahome v5.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
              I am converting my 2nd doblo. Both have been mpv on the v5. Mpv has the same speed limits as other cars but i think a car derived van has lower speed limits, at least if over 2000kg gvw. ....................
              Not quite. Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles AND Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) all have the higher limits of 60 on single carriageways and 70 on dual carriageways and motorways.

However, if you have a Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight), then the single carriageway limit is 50 and the dual carriageway limit is reduced to 60. You can still do 70 on a motorway, unless it is articulated.

So speed limitwise, a small motorhome based on a C15 or a Berlingo, being a car derived van, can do the higher limits anyway even if it is not re-registered.

But one based on a Ford Transit, for example, needs to be re-registerd if you want to go faster.

Comment

Thank you so much to all of you who got back to me on this. I think the decidedly cheaper insurance by re-classifying as a Motor Caravan wins the day and I will be taking lots of photos (with our table up!) and send off to DVLA with old shots of G-Reg Gertie and their standard letter from the website, suitably amended to describe what we've had done.

Comment

You may want to check the payload with your newer C15 as I think they were 600kg and not 800kg of the older ones.

You may be close to your maximum payload limit before any luggage is included.

John

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDL View Post
                    You may want to check the payload with your newer C15 as I think they were 600kg and not 800kg of the older ones.

You may be close to your maximum payload limit before any luggage is included.

John
                    Isn't this to do with the original base vehicle having been a Pick-Up, whereas most redodies go onto vans. We have the same "overloading" problem with demountables - my solution and Donk's Dad solution is Spring Assistors - of course our suspension - leaf spring is different but the idea is the same. I believe there are extra HD springs for C15s but they require very special spring compressors most garages do not have.
                    Maybe the professional rebodiers have already fitted upgraded suspension .
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Roderick View Post
                      We have recently had our beloved 'Gertie' (originally a 1989 C15-based HYLO) professionally 'swapped' onto a 2006 C15 (and no, we won't be trying to pass her off as a younger model but will be scrupulously honest, should we ever come to sell - hopefully never!) Anyway, I laid all this in front of the insurers who have made it a condition that we get the now 55-Reg Gertie registered with the DVLA as a 'Motorhome'. Looking at the old V5 for the G-reg Gertie, she was always registered as a Car-derived van, so why would we need to change the taxation class for the '55-reg which is currently also 'Car-Derived Van' class?

Looking at the DVLA's website, they seem to put a lot of store by Motorhomes having a 'fixed table' inside, but of course we haven't got any such fitting.

Are there any advantages to being a Motorhome rather than a Car Derived van and is the tax any more or less as i can't make it out on the website?

Your thoughts and experiences of this much appreciated!

Cheers,

Phil
                      We had a Citroen Berlingo Parisienne for a few months and had to register it as a Motor Caravan for insurance purposes. By the time the DVLA finally agreed it was a motor caravan with about 8 photos, we had decided to exchange it for our Romahome Hylo. We were insured through the Camping and Caravan Club and it was them who insisted that it be classed as a Motor Caravan. No problem with insuring it next time even though the registration was as a light goods van.

The only advantage in having it changed is if you are a frequent user of the Dartford Crossing when you will save 50p per crossing. I won't be bothering!

Ron

Comment