Looking for custom front panel for HiJet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for custom front panel for HiJet

Hi all I am trying to source a new front panel for Clockwork Orange - Daihatsu HiJet. I have a hankering for one of these VW style front panels. I found a Japenese company doing bodykits but nothing in the UK or Europe unless anyone else has an idea.
    From Italy I can get a complete Piaggio Porter late type front end - simple bolt on job.
    Why do I want to do this? Because the present headlights are abysmal - I could use a lantern with a candle and see better - a definite need to upgrade.
    Any knowledge will be appreciated.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Are they halogen bulbs ?

If the Hi-Jet is like the earlier Suzuki Super Carry's (the base pick-up used for the Bambi's) as these had Filament Bulbs and were dismal.

Most owners changed them for halogen bulbs but they had to be a special fit as they had round bases to fit the headlamps and not the three pronged ones in the later type headlamps.

Alternately have you considered fitting a pair of LED driving lights.
    I did (really as day running lights) but they are really bright and help at night.

Unfortunately i went for a cheep pair from Hong Kong off ebay and some of the LED bulbs are failing / flickering, although the suppliers have given me a total refund.

Comment

Hi Pete, No they are pukka Halogen bulbs - I think the design was not good. Don't forget despite the Daihatsu name the European version of the HiJet was produced by Paggio and licensed to be sold in this country as the HiJet because Daihatsu had a good dealer network - the first Paggios were marketted by Reliant in this country!
      For about 600 Euro I can buy a complete new Paggio Porter front end (2004 and later) from Italy - fitting is a few hours bolt-on job then I would then have the modern twin headlight setup. I may go to a breaker and get a complete front end from there to get decent lights.
      When I trawled around I found Japanese customisers Cal Custom are doing fibreglass front ends for Kei trucks - HiJet, SuperCarry etc http://www.calstage.jp/ unfortunately no one seems to import them into Europe. I posted in hopes that someone has stumbled over a European importer - but no luck so far.
      Jon

Comment

pass...
        clean the inside of the lenses with toothpaste?
        I know people on the rascal forum had joy with more expensive led lights (£40 ish) - but probably a faff?
        fake VW would be fun tho eh, the misses always wanted one. I said it was ridiculous but you know what women are like, form over function all day long.

Comment

If you go for the new Piaggio Lights you won't get RHD ones.....

Comment

Originally posted by John Wilson View Post
            If you go for the new Piaggio Lights you won't get RHD ones.....
            The same applies with the Hi Jet lights - its just they are really rubbish, Before I jump and make a wrong decision are the Piaggio Porter lights any good?
            Jon

Comment

Would CREE super bright LED, Xenon or HID bulbs help ?

Comment

I tried LED headlight bulbs unfortunately the polarity of the wiring did not work - the common pin is supply Positive and Earth Negative is via the dipswitch. The LED headlamp bulbs are for Positive supply via Dipswitch and Common pin is Earth Negative.
                Just another Italian wiring foible
                However maybe Xenon bulbs might work certainly p*** other drivers because the offside headlamp is LHD - dipping wrong way
                All of which is why I fancied a custom front end - then fit nice round headlights either ex Mk1 VW Golf or Lucas (Prince of Darkness) 7 inch headlights. - If I was any good as a metal worker or with woodwork to make a mould I would do a sort of "Frog Eye" set up on the front end - it has been done on a Renault Trafic Mk1 to solve the same problem.

Jon

Comment

can the plugs to the bulbs be changed or the cables adapted to suit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                    can the plugs to the bulbs be changed or the cables adapted to suit ?
                    Theoretically yes but in reality NO !!! To rewire would mean rewiring the whole headlight system from the fusebox / supply onward and possibly having to change the steering column multi function switch.
                    I think your Xenon bulb idea may work - as far as I know unlike LEDs they are not polarity dependent.
                    Thank you for the idea.
                    Jon

Comment

The marvels of the internet - I think that I have located one in a scrap yard (in Edinburgh - that place is always a part of my life ).
                      I have also found a company who eithermakes them or imports them into the UK
                      http://paragontrans4mer.co.uk/happy-camper
                      I wonder if they will sell the front panel by itself - maybe the bumper too?
                      Jon
                      Last edited by kernowjon; 13-11-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I am always having stuff couriered and a bumper would only cost about £15 to get shipped to you.

Comment

The one in the scrappies had gone - so now I will have to talk to Paragon as to whether or not they'll sell me one of their front ends - the rest - Headlamps, Headlamp bowls, and indicator I can source myself.
                          Jon

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X