2014 R20Lo Security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rennie View Post
    I'm not happy with the security on our van! I could easily break the plastic locks on the rear door or the windows! With the upturn in thefts of caravans/motorhomes recently you'd think the manufacturers would have addressed this!
    Maybe the manufacturers have started to address the problem. Look at my 1980s Demountable Pod, or the Romahome C15 and other vehicles of that era, and they all have massive windows, My folks Dormobile on a Bedford CA was a minibus conversion - a veritable "glasshouse". Modern vans designed in the 21st C have far smaller windows. This contributes to improved insulation - greater privacy and greater security.
    I will still maintain the best answer is an alarm.
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
      DATA security is easier. I would suggest you purchase a couple of USB data sticks (pendrives) - set the laptop up so the USB port becomes your documents. You can either carry the sticks on you when away from the van or store them unobtrusively any where in the van - the dirty laundry may be a good place - no thief would go raking around sweaty socks .
      Jon
      The risk with USB sticks are that they are easily lost. The128GB thumbdrive stolen from the van radio only had a few Christmas albums on it but I had bought it with the intention of doing exactly as you suggest. Had I been able to go through with the plan I would also have encrypted the contents, using something like PGP, and with a strong password, in case of loss or theft (lucky thief or one who steals the laundry basket )

Comment

Mike The handle thing arrived yesterday. The cheaper one not the Fiamma! Looking at the external backing plates, which are shaped, (these go behind the hinge bits of the handle) this was designed for a specific van. No problem I am making 2 plates out of flat bits of 2mm Aluminum (one of the internal backing plates will serve as a pattern) simple hacksaw and 6mm drill job mounting will be 8x 6mm studs. - the backing pate comes complete with a very nice cover plate.
        The main thing is it looks sturdy and poses some sort of extra deterent to the opportunist - it will also act as an extra protection against the door opening on the move!
        Jon

Comment

You are NEVER going to be able to secure a vehicle with plastic doors. But if you want to put something off, I would suggest something like this, mounted on a bit of something stronger than the door. I use a similar thing to secure the odd ledged doors and gates at my home. They work well, but are a little utilitarian:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bever-Kastenr...4AAOSwx2dYIvj0

They use euro cylinders, so you could easily have more than one lock with the same key.

I think the best defence, though, is making the van look empty so there's no point in breaking in. Curtains open, nothing on display. An alarm, and a great big disk lock to put off joyriders.

Oh, and I also have this:

Moo.jpg

He's a big coward really, but a reassuring presence.

Comment

Hi as promised a description of fitting the security handle. I bought the cheaper one - not Fiamma - and saved £25 - well £20 read on.

The assembly seems fairly robust cast ally fittings and metal tubular handle. However the Back Plates have a weird shape (it was obviously designed for one model) However I have made a problem into a virtue - we discussed the flimsyness of the Romahome - so I made a single piece backplate out of 3mm Ally treadplate this is fastened in place by the fixing studs and Tiger Seal.

You need to buy a length of 6mm threaded bar and 8 x 6mm locknuts also a good quality sticky sealant. That is the fiver!

You will need a template - accurate holes etc! Open out the packaging the bracket came in and put on a firm flat surface unprinted side up. Put the handle in the centre of the 3 positions. Coat the edges of the two mounting brackets with grease or lipstick now press firmly onto the card - lift off. You now have the lines and holes clearly marked to make your template.

The threaded bar needs to be cut to make studs say (15mm for screwing into the fitting plus, 4mm for treadplate (adjust for fitment of your back plate), plus 6mm thickness of the pods back wall, plus 2mm thickness of backplate plus 10mm to allow for the nut and a bit for luck) - 40mm Long studs 8 of.

Fit studs to the brackets - I coated 10mm of the end of studs with sealant and screwed this in - it works like Torqueseal!

Make the one piece back plate and mark and drill the holes using a 6.5mm drill bit.

Hold the back plate in place - check where the bolts come through - when you are satisfied get your assistant to hold the backplate while you drill - when one is drilled insert a 6mm bolt to hold in place - repeat with second hole - now you can confidently drill the other 6 holes. (you will see from the pics I have had to move the number plate hence old seal waiting for removal).

Test fit - it will fit!

Coat the Bracket fitting surfaces with sealant. Slide the back plate onto the studs. Coat the mating surface of the back plate with sealant - push the assembly firmly onto the van. Fit the backplates which came with the Handle and tighten the nuts - Job almost done - the final task is to cut down the surplus stud then fit the supplied cover plates

Rear view handle locked in secure position.

rear web.jpg

Handle in open handrail position - it will also swing back and be against the van fully open and not hitting stray skateboarders who come too close to the van
            exterior view web.jpg

internal fixing web.jpg Interior view of the backplate and the fixing studs - I still have to remove the surplus from the studs then I'll be able to fit the clip-on cover plates.
            cu upper fix web.jpg

Comment

love it jon! what model was it...this is exactly what i wanted. It helps secure the vehicle, but more importantly helps one get in and out of the van! Im only in my 30s but find it a big step at times and often scrape my knee on the lip! Alas im lazy and dont have much time for the van these days. My current fad is sailing.

Comment

Sorry all I should have included in my description the Security Handle is this one on Ebay
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECURITY-...72.m2749.l2649
                As I said it is only £43.99 whereas the Fiamma handle is £68 so many pence.
                Jon

Comment

I think we'll look at getting something like that!

Comment

Thanks for that Jon. Think I'm going to go with the Fiamma safe door / safety block lock. Suspect the bolts won't be long enough for the R20 body, but that's easily remedied. The R20 is also fully moulded around the cooker area. Not sure how much of an airgap their is behind the moulding before you hit something solid - just afraid of the moulding cracking as I try to tighten the bolts on the inside . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bluesdoctor View Post
                      Thanks for that Jon. Think I'm going to go with the Fiamma safe door / safety block lock. Suspect the bolts won't be long enough for the R20 body, but that's easily remedied. The R20 is also fully moulded around the cooker area. Not sure how much of an airgap their is behind the moulding before you hit something solid - just afraid of the moulding cracking as I try to tighten the bolts on the inside . . .
                      I think you are right - I think fitting would probably involve fridge removal etc. However I fear you will find the same issues with the lock you are thinking of. I saw a very similar looking internal backing plate when I looked at the exploded drawing http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Se...-Security-Lock
                      Maybe either way you have to have confidence in your DiY abilities or you get a caravan place to fit it for you!
                      Jon

Comment

I'm thinking of putting the lock higher up - above the cooker - where the total internal to external wall thickness is about 3 or 4 inches, so long as there is not a big airgap behind the internal wall. The only way to find that out is to drill an exploratory hole . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bluesdoctor View Post
                          I'm thinking of putting the lock higher up - above the cooker - where the total internal to external wall thickness is about 3 or 4 inches, so long as there is not a big airgap behind the internal wall. The only way to find that out is to drill an exploratory hole . . .
                          I was forgetting you have a one-piece door. - Sounds a good plan - if there is an air gap - it may be possible to fill it with expanding foam (a bonus on the foam would be improved insulation). A bit dicey but if you drill 2 holes the surplus can escape from the other hole. Maybe an idea would be to ask Ant for some advice.
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

I was forgetting you have a one-piece door. - Sounds a good plan - if there is an air gap - it may be possible to fill it with expanding foam (a bonus on the foam would be improved insulation). A bit dicey but if you drill 2 holes the surplus can escape from the other hole. Maybe an idea would be to ask Ant for some advice.
                            Jon
                            Thanks Jon. Expanding foam is great stuff - use it all the time during house renovations

Comment

Finally got round to fitting secondary lock to our R20. It is a sliding lock made by Milenco. On the inside of the van the backplate is nearly identical to the lock/handle kernowjon has fitted.

Two observations:

1/ In the R20 there is fibre mat type insulation between the outer and inner skins so you can't just drill straight through otherwise your drill will get bound up in the matting, as mine did. In fact the force was such that my drill bit untwisted

2/ If you want this lock to also act as a secondary door stay for when the primary lock pops open whilst moving along, be aware there is about a 10mm gap between the tongue of the milenco and the door. As you can see I fashioned a "closer" from a piece of strong plastic flooring I had lying around and stuck it to the outside of the door with sikaflex. This has worked very well on the few occasions when the primary lock has failed. The door stays firmly shut and sealed

And for the OCD among you - yes I know it has been fitted not quite level but it still does the job

2018-04-08 15.05.41.jpg2018-04-08 15.57.42.jpg

Comment

Good to know you have bitten the bullet and got the job done. During our epic 2,462 mile adventure April / May we felt very secure knowing the back door could not fall open and when we left the van a sense of (false) security that the van had extra locking.
                                Jon

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X