This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow snow snow

I had a fun time last night fighting through the snow in my C15. My van and I managed hills that left many cars by the wayside, I did have to get out once and use the grip mats to get out of a rut of snow left by a plough. Stopped for a breather and gave some stranded motorists a coffee each.

Loved being safe in the knowledge that if I did get irrevocably stuck I could just hunker down for a nap in the back

Anyone else have fun in the snow?

we've only had a very light dusting here, it the froze over night.

I've been out fitting a new step to our van, it was bl**dy freezing but well worth it now
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Frozen over here too, a really good hard frost here in South Cheshire. No snow...

I always felt secure in the knowledge that I could always stop and rest/make tea/ etc when I had my campervan, but I wouldn't have gone out driving in the snow in it, Sloeman!

Comment

Well -4 here this morning in Cleethorpes and plenty snow on the ground, poor old C15 is out in it, not me, staying indoors, stoke up the log burner, lovely jubly. cheers.............
        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
        'Live without regrets'

Comment

We've only had a dusting but it is REALLY cold, according to the forecast we are due a dollop tonight.

The van is on the front looking a bit sorry for itself but I ain't going camping in this weather.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            The van is on the front looking a bit sorry for itself but I ain't going camping in this weather.
            That's a very softie attitude - we are off for 2 nights tomorrow. Will take all my thermals and fleeces and hot water bottles.

If the sun shines as it is today, then walking on the Roaches will be lovely.

Will report back if and when we get home.

Comment

I've just committed myself to a week camping in Scotland. 2 duvets, 2 sleeping bags, 2 hot water bottles, fleeces and a VERY WARM HAT will be coming with me.

I think I might just take a shovel too, just in case.

Off to Kinlochleven from Boxing day till after new years, I doubt I'll be able to get a EHU so will have to fix my gas heater issue in the next few days.

Comment

We're off to Littlehampton the day after Boxing Day for a week, unless it is thick snow. We stayed in the New Forest last New Year in thick ice and must be going soft because we do not want to do it again. Anything over zero and we will go, but not below.
                Good luck to everybody else who will be away and may your toes always be warm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloeman View Post
                  I've just committed myself to a week camping in Scotland. 2 duvets, 2 sleeping bags, 2 hot water bottles, fleeces and a VERY WARM HAT will be coming with me.

Off to Kinlochleven from Boxing day till after new years, I doubt I'll be able to get a EHU so will have to fix my gas heater issue in the next few days.
                  The Best of Luck to you as I am shivering for you already

Comment

Good luck to all going camping in this weather! Take an extra sleeping bag or two!!

It snowed during the night here, lovely sunrise this morning, the sun is now shining but it's still snowing and looks like more on the way.

Sloeman, check the roads are open if you are going up there, they have a lovely way of finding the roads to clear them - snow poles - but if the ploughs can't get through, they just shut the gates. The A82 is spectacular but you will need to get the traffic reports on the roads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/travel/

jayjay

Comment

Best wishes to all of you and particularly the ones who are camping at moment. We have had really seasonal and useable snow over the last 3/4 days. Have two snowmen in garden and everything is still white but frozen solid.

Friends had to cancel their trip to us from Lincs as they were snowed in up there and their roads have not ever seen a gritter!! I have a house full of food now and next door got the cheesecakes and sweet stuff.

Our side roads are a bit icy but we live on a main road and they are well gritted so we do have access to M25 and all the motorways north of London.

Off to Weston Super Mare for Christmas so hopefully travel will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloeman View Post

Good luck, take extra thermals. Tyndrum was minus 12 last night (on your way) and one part of Argyll was minus 16.

Usually the West is milder, we here on the East are missing out on a lot of the snow, the weather reports are very misleading, just because Aberdeen city was bad yesterdy, folk think that our part of Aberdeenshire was hit too.
                        As long as you have plenty of food on board, go for it!

A happy Christmas to everyone,

Margaret

Comment

Thanks to all the wellwishers!

I've packed the van with enough supplies to last me at least a fortnight and expect some xmas leftovers to be coming with me too.

I'm slightly concerned that my gas heating is on the blink but apparently it's due to the gas not vaporising from it being so cold. A half hour each evening with the engine on should resolve that if I bring the bottle briefly indoors.

Once warm everything seems to work ok.

Comment

snow snow snow

Just for interests sake - how did you survive on your holiday or did you cancel.

As it started snowing here the week before Christmas and having been
                            snowed in for the past week - no postal deliverier or courier vans, wondered if you had gone or not.

In this area, farmer's sheds have been collapsing with the weight of snow
                            on the roofs, our first winter here with heavy snowfall, apparently they
                            have had it before but the wind usually blows it off, this time there has
                            been no wind.

Still, have been keeping fit daily digging through it to get to our hens.

"Baldybantam"

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but I am now totally fed up with all this snow, ice, cold weather.

What ever happened to global warming?

Roll on spring
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X