X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 Pullman Questions

Hi again

Could someone help with the following questions please?

I see that one of the three wooden slats that are used to make up the bedding is half as wide as the other two. Where should the thin one be placed?

In the seating cushions there are two cushions that are only 4 inches wide. Why?!

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

I was told this by Ant and it has blown away since picking up my Roma 2 weeks ago... But I think starting with the one nearest the 'steering wheel, drivers cab.... it is thin, thin, thick. Not sure why though....., hoping I got that in the corrert order......

Not had a go yet .......

cheers

Comment

Hi Andrew.
      The thin bit of timber goes at the front, the two wider bits middle and back as they need to support a joint of two cushions.
      The 4inch bits of cushion are there to allow you to lift the larger seat cushion past the flap support in order to gain access to the storage.
      Ant

Comment

While you are there Ant, making up the double bed with the pullman. Do you have to use the table underneath? It looks like that from the manual.....but I thought you could just use the cushions?

Comment

Thanks, Ant for swift reply!

Tentpeg: I was thinking same question last night. I think one uses the table as a support if you wish to make up the bed with the removable pullman centre moulding stowed away (the bit that is secured with two bolts)...

Andrew

Comment

Hi Jenny, Andrew and Sally.
            You can use the table for the bed if you wish but it means you have to move so many cushions to fit it in, it's touch and go as to whether you'd be too tired to complete the bed! I'd just use the timber supports and put the table top up in the luton or in the cab out of the way.
            Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant that is a RELIEF.

Personally I think that all bed design assemblys should pass the alcohol test...

That is can a camper drink a bottle of wine and then assemble the bed correctly before unconciousness creeps in.....!
              Last edited by Tentpeg; 23-04-2011, 09:57.

Comment

R20 Pullman questions

I have found it is possible to make up the three quarter bed without removing the table. As long as it is at its nearest point to the sink end of adjustment bar there is no problem. In fact I never use the wooden bars. I just pull the seat cushion a couple of inches forward from the side wall and this gives me enough width to sleep comfortably - that is without the back cushions. I now leave them at home and just use pillows and scatter cushions to lean on. Those of a slimmer build than myself would not even have to move the seat cushions for a good size single bed.
                Lizzie

Comment

bed

with how bed we put back rest in to cab and use 2 sing beds leaves room to move we have made a tabel thet we swing round in to cab then u can put your drinks on on a night day time put back round to us ing back ill try tack a photos for u all eny queston [email protected]:so happy:

Comment

As we do not make up the double bed in ours we have done away with the backrest cushions, we replaced them with a second bed extension board so that there is something to lean on.

Comment

Bed conundrum

We have just been away for a few days in our R20 - only the second time out as we are new to all this. It is a second-hand van, but came with all the original literature including a lovely colour print-out brochure 'fool's guide to the van' including full instructions of every-which-way to make up the bed(s). It shows the slats going thick/thin/thick, or else thick/table/thick. We always use the table as it gives a much firmer feel to the bed. The long thin nearside cushion adds a good 6 inches to the length of the bed when put on the flap-down supports behind the front seats; and the 4"-wide cushions mentioned above give another extension at the other end, so we end up with a great sized double bed and ample room for my 6'3" husband to lie full length. The bed is much larger in fact than in many campervans twice its size.

Ziggy

Comment

A very helpful thread! Admittedly, I haven't yet tried including the table in the bed-making process.

But I do struggle to remember which way round to place the (shaped) wider bed supports, having at times, started to sink into the sunset when in bed, either in the middle or at the cooked end of the bed, as the cushions are not properly supported.

Would be very interested to see pics of your swing around table, Diggdeep, please.

Am also still trying to decide which is the better end to place the pillows at. Logically, they should go at the cooker end of the bed because of the position of the lights. But that necessitates awkward manoeuvring if one wants to 'use the facilities' during the night.
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

We've got it off to a fine(ish) art now. I stand down the cooker end and Liz the cab end. We drop the table and put it as a middle support - this does require just raising the cushion nearest the sink to put the table in position. The two bars go top and bottom (both thick I think). Liz moves the front pullman cushion forward and then lowers the pullman upright into the space it left behind while I take the cooker end long backrest (opposite side to the pullman), put it in the middle and move the corresponding seat cushion a cm or so towards the middle to close the small gap left in the middle. I also have to move that tiny sliver of a cushion next to the cooker a cm or so towards the middle too. Now Liz pulls down the home-made duvalay equivalents from the luton, then puts the cab end side backrest into the middle and moves the top long cushion to close the gap at the top while I'm unrolling the bedding, and positioning.

Pillows are Ikea cushions which are pillow shaped but only 2/3 size and go at the cab end. It takes less than 5 mins from saying 'time for bed' and being snuggled in the home made duvalays. Before Liz settles she switches on the flourescent tube in the front Heki unit and I then switch off the rear wall-lights while I'm still undressing at the cooker end. As I clamber up into bed and lie down it's my job to switch off the Heki light.

Of course I then get up again because I realise I've forgotten to pull the clock down from the shelves, take my medication, go for one last 'er visit' etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=BrianTheSnail;25509]We've got it off to a fine(ish) art now. I stand down the cooker end and Liz the cab end. We drop the table and put it as a middle support - this does require just raising the cushion nearest the sink to put the table in position. The two bars go top and bottom (both thick I think). Liz moves the front pullman cushion forward and then lowers the pullman upright into the space it left behind while I take the cooker end long backrest (opposite side to the pullman), put it in the middle and move the corresponding seat cushion a cm or so towards the middle to close the small gap left in the middle. I also have to move that tiny sliver of a cushion next to the cooker a cm or so towards the middle too. Now Liz pulls down the home-made duvalay equivalents from the luton, then puts the cab end side backrest into the middle and moves the top long cushion to close the gap at the top while I'm unrolling the bedding, and positioning.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Certainly sounds as if you have got it cracked. Thanks for this.

It seems very sensible to ignore the little bar altogether, using the table instead. I now realise why that tiny cushion doesn't work correctly for me - I had put the larger 'sit upon' cushions from the cooker side into the middle instead of the backrest ones. Duh.

So, if I understand right, vaguely in this order:
                            1. cooker side - move 'sit upon cushions away a little from the window
                            2. put back rest cushions into middle, onto table / larger support bars
                            3. replace the tiny cushion so is at bottom of 'sit upon' cushions, holding them in place
                            4. pullman side - also slide 'sit upon' cushions a little bit away from wall.
                            5. the long, narrow backrest from the pullman side, to go as bed extesnion behind driver's seat, on the little ledge supports.

YEAH! By 'talking myself through what you said, I understand! :so happy: Thank you so much - you are brilliant!!!!
                            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Actually on the pullman side we don't bother moving the cushions that little bit out from the side - saves having to move the seating cushion nearest the sink at all (except raise it slightly to squeeze the table beneath. We just have a slightly larger (couple of cms) gap on the other side.

Also we don't bother with that padded bed extension. We tried it once but Liz (who sleeps pullman side) complained of a draught from the holes where that extension plugs into place. Also we can't be bothered to move the driver and passenger's seat forwards. I'm 5'10" and just have to angle myself slightly but I've got used to it now.

When we're organised both night and morn seem like clockwork - most days however ...

Whoa - just realised this is my 100th post and so I'm now a 'senior member' - that'll explain my frequent senior moments.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X