Help! I've been conned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I've been conned!

A couple of weeks ago I posted as a happy, 'newbie' C15 Romahome owner, about to take my van to test.
    Imagine my horror when I find out that my vehicle was sold to me with a false MOT, and that I shouldn't have driven it 34 miles home let alone 340.
    Fortunately, the dishonest tester left his pre MOT inspection sheet in the wad of paperwork I was given by the previous owner. It's a LONG list of corrosion on the sub-frame and chassis amongst other things. THEN on the SAME DAY, this tester FAILED the vehicle on just 2 things!
    A week later, with the necessary welding done, the vehicle was given a PASS.
    I bought the vehicle from a private buyer on EBay with an MOT, and it was advertised as "running well", "better than average", with "lots of welding having been professionally done".
    This Campervan is a restoration project, not a road worthy vehicle.
    It needs at least £1000 spent on welding alone.
    My mechanic has spoken to the man who 'passed' the vehicle last year. He knows he is in big trouble (and offered to fix my camper!) but I won't get my money back from him, I need to go after the seller.
    What can I do? Has anyone else been in a similar position?
    Thanking you in advance for your help. G.

That's awful! What a horrible thing to happen. I'm sure someone will be along with some advice soon, I'm afraid all I can offer is sympathy.

Comment

First of all i'm sorry to hear that your camper isn't what you thought it was.

Secondly, I would advise you to go and speak to citizens advice and see what they suggest.

Did you pay for any part of the camper via PayPal? If so they may be able to help you.

Trying to get your money back from a private sale is difficult as legally you have little recourse so you need to be prepared for the fact that you may not get anywhere. I appreciate that's not what you want to hear right now but it's as well to have your eyes open.

Lastly, have you considered that the dodgy MOT man may have hoodwinked the person you bought it from as well? It may be that they paid out money for welding that was never done a d weren't aware of the issues.
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

How awful for you. You can report MOT fraud, there is a confidential phone number on this government website:

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk...-and-vehicles/

Comment

That is just so low and underhanded it must border on criminal. My sympathies to you and although it wont make you feel better we are really sorry to hear your bad news. I have never dealt with Ebay but is there no recourse that they can invoke against this bad seller ? Its got to be worth a try.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm afraid there are some real rogues around, often males who think they can pull the wool over a female buyer's eyes. For future, reference, I would strongly recommend an AA or RAC inspection before buying a used vehicle, especially one from a private seller. I've had a seller suddenly change his mind about selling to me when I insisted on that being done before the sale went through. On another occasion, after the AA inspection, I had the price for an old Fiat knocked down from £500 to £200, the difference being the cost of the repairs that needed to be done. End result - a cheap little run around that lasted me a year or two and yet was safe to drive.

Go to the police. The tester has committed a criminal offence. Get a solicitor as you will need to put a claim in through the small claims court.A good solicitor should be able to get you your money back and get his own fees back. Hopefully it should not cost you much at all.
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

karenw might have some advice. Although not a legal advisor she has a great deal of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
                . Get a solicitor as you will need to put a claim in through the small claims court.A good solicitor should be able to get you your money back and get his own fees back. Hopefully it should not cost you much at all.
                If you do speak to a solicitor - find one that will give 30 minutes free advice, many do, before deciding whether to go ahead. Nothing to lose if you can't afford to carry on but you will have gleaned some ideas and info

Comment

I am sorry to hear that your little van hasn't turned out to be all that you thought. However, a lot can happen in a year and, as I understand it from your post, you were relying on an MOT done last year and bought the van a few weeks before this year's was due. The MOT only implies that all is well on the day of the test. Having said that, it does seem a bit dodgy.

As it was a private sale I think it will be very difficult to get any money back, but you could appeal to the seller for some help in getting it put right.

As I said, a lot can happen in a year - I had an Autosleeper a few years ago that I bought with nearly a year's MOT, it sailed through its MOT test a year later, but by the following year it had corroded so much that it needed £3.5K spending on it to get it up to scratch. I had it checked at two places I trusted and both said the same.

I hope you are able to sort it out and don't end up too much out of pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOldHobbit View Post
                    I have never dealt with Ebay but is there no recourse that they can invoke against this bad seller ? Its got to be worth a try.
                    There are some safeguards built in to Ebay but they tend to rely on buying through the website, paying by Paypal and using a delivery method that provides tracking and proof of delivery. I did get my money back on an item that was supposed to be new but turned out to be refurbished but it took a long time and needed a lot of perseverance. I suspect that there will be different terms for vehicles, particularly if the deal is done person to person - no harm in asking them though.

Comment

Hi Georgygirl - I fear what Caz wrote applies - There is welding to get through an MoT and there is restoration work.
                      Take rusty SILLS - to pass an MoT cover sills are welded over the old rusty sills on the inside plates are welded on to cover holes in the inner sills. Proper restoration work involves removing all the rusty metal, treating with rust inhibitor then fabricating from scratch some new bits welding in proper replacement parts. Restorations cost several times more than MoT repairs.
                      Jon

Comment

The problem is that it is easy to be seduced by the appearance of a vehicle, thinking it will meet all your needs, but, as well as doing all the checks that people advise on, you might also need to be reasonably competent at car repair yourself.

I can show you how to change to hose on an old Datsun Suuny, for example.

Even a sparkling, nearly new campervan might look fantastic, have loads of storage, etc but there could be points that you find you find just can't live with, even though many do eg the bed.
                        Last edited by NomadSue; 15-05-2018, 20:01.
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

My mechanic has spoken to the man who 'passed' the vehicle last year. He knows he is in big trouble (and offered to fix my camper!) but I won't get my money back from him, I need to go after the seller.
                          Just a thought. Would it be possible for your mechanic to do what needs fixing, and the dodgy MOT man who passed the vehicle (and possibly the seller) to pay for the repairs? You can't drive it back to the original chap, as it's not road legal, so he might be persuaded to offer some kind of redress.

I'm so sorry this has happened. It really is 'buyer beware' out there.

I did exactly the same thing with my caravan. Advertised as 'dry as a bone', I paid up and towed it home. It had been in a garage when I bought it. Two days on the drive in the rain, and it was leaking all over the place. There was no redress from the seller, who still thought I had bought a 'bargain'! Threats of court action got me nowhere, so in the end, I took it on the chin and paid out to get everything sorted out, as I really wanted to keep it and use it, not have it sitting on the drive for 6 months or more waiting for a court case. It cost me about £600 extra to fix everything that was wrong with it. And it still leaks from time to time!
                          Last edited by jayjay; 16-05-2018, 10:13.

Comment

As far as I am aware it is an offence to sell an unroadworthy vehicle even for private sellers. With a dealer then trading standards would be the people to go to and they may even be interested in this case. Was the seller the owner of the van at the time of the dodgy MOT in which case some collusion may have taken place. The MOT inspector must have had some incentive for faking the test.
                            My inclination would be to approach the seller through the proper eBay channels and see what he has to say.
                            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

It may not help you directly, but it may safeguard others by reporting the dubious testing to the M.O.T. management office for the area where the dubious testing was done.
                              From experience I know that any reported dubious testing is followed up rigorously and if found wanting both the Company and tester could lose their testing licence. I know this from previous experience!
                              As a tester many years ago (when vehicles tested were only recorded by registration plates and perhaps colour) I was seemingly in hot water over testing a Land Rover for a local car sales firm.
                              Subsequent to the test the sold on land Rover was inspected at the new owner's request in the Isle of Wight, Over two hundred miles and across water from our testing station in Chesterfield.
                              Luckily a past work colleague of mine had recently, then, moved to the I.O.W, and I was able to contact him to check the vehicle out for me. SEVERAL features of bodywork and colour did not match the vehicle I tested.
                              Also luckily we managed to convince the MOT. people that the vehicle we tested was doppleganger and we retained our MOT status, Though with a stern warning.
                              Reporting your situation DIRECTLY to the area MOT office may not directly help you, but might save heartache for others in the area from which your purchase came. The MOT testing station could find the water VERY HOT.
                              Jim.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment