X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voyageuse
    replied
    Originally posted by pendel View Post
    It cost us almost £300 for the work for the mot.
    To be fair I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a £300 bill for MOT repairs at the end of the year for an older vehicle. With my previous van I used to cross my finger and hope it was going to come in at less than £500, sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. But, if it was nowhere near a full year since the previous test, then it does raise questions.

Leave a comment:

• pendel
    replied
    We had the same thing with our first Romahome. Bought from ebay. Collected from Warminster, drove it home to Essex. M.O.T. was due in the following year but as we had chance to buy our present Romahome Duo we decided to get a new MOT and sell the older Romahome on ebay. When we took it for the mot we were shocked to hear that the front headlights were held in with cable ties !!! That was the least of the problems. According to the mot tester, we were lucky not to have had a serious accident. It cost us almost £300 for the work for the mot. It would be interesting to know if the seller was from the same area.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicki View Post
    You can definitely get your money back from ebay as missold and they gaurantee money back Fill in the paerwork, it takes a bit of time but worth it. I got misold an ipad - empty box but got my money back
    It's probably outside the claim period but also, from the facts presented, I can't see that it was misrepresented or that there is actually a case here. Hopefully the OP will update us.

Leave a comment:

• Vicki
    replied
    You can definitely get your money back from ebay as missold and they gaurantee money back Fill in the paerwork, it takes a bit of time but worth it. I got misold an ipad - empty box but got my money back

Leave a comment:

• MYKE
    replied
    I would specify NO UNDERSEAL. It's horrible stuff and the only reason for applying it is to cover up dodgy welding. It's also a swine to remove. It traps moisture against the bare metal and promotes further rot. The modern seam sealer does a much better job but it is to waterproof the seams, not to cover the whole floor with. You are far better with a bare metal finish that you can inspect before painting it with a rust proofer followed by a coat of Waxoyl or similar. The main thing is that you can see exactly what sort of job has been done before accepting it.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    I think this is good advice. Personally, from the info presented, I don't think there is any legal case here unless I've missed something so, time to move on, accept the repair offered and enjoy the van (or sell it if there's too much negativity towards it).

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Jay
    replied
    Hi Georgygirl,
    Understandably, it sounds like you have fallen out of love with your Romahome. You seem to want your money back, which looks like a difficult and time consuming process and a bit of a long shot. Meanwhile you are missing a beautiful" Romahoming" summer.
    I gather that the garage has offered to do all the welding free and presumably to your mechanics satisfaction. You will then end up with what you thought you had bought. Revenge may be sweet but not as sweet as using a Romahome on a beautiful summer weekend.
    Personally, I would go for the free welding option, insisting on a good layer of underseal.
    Please let us know how you got on as others can learn from your experience.

Leave a comment:

• Pauline
    replied
    Originally posted by karenw View Post
    Has this now been resolved?
    No idea. Not heard anything else from georgygirl would love to know how things are going.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    Has this now been resolved?

Leave a comment:

• Voyageuse
    replied
    Georgygirl, I'm so sorry to read this. I remember that you made your first post on this forum around the same time I made mine, and I picked mine up a week or so after you did. I feel for you and realy really hope you get this sorted. Karma.

Leave a comment:

• Pandabloke
    replied
    As we all know, I am a huge C15 fan, but even the youngest original C15's Romahomes are now at the very least 16 years old. And yes they are, as anything after that is a clone and is just as dubious to buy as any other Romahome C15.

This means that all Romahome C15s are very old vehicles and if they were a car it is very likely that they would be worth just a few hundred quid or even scrapped, by now. It is not easy to weld the underside of a C15 Romahome as there is an awful lot of flammable fibreglass knocking about, quite obviously, so once they have started to be welded, it is not unfair to say that it is the start of a downhill slope to eventual scrapping. How long this will take it is impossible to tell, but without a decent restoration (not easy on a C15 Romahome due to the fibreglass pod) it will eventually bite the dust. And I would suggest that 11 welded plates is biting the dust, unfortunately.

Yes, of course it can be repaired, but for how long and at what cost?

If it was me, if you get the refund, go for another small motorhome. C15 Romahomes are wonderful, but they are long in the tooth. There are lots of other younger and interesting small motorhomes and campervans out there.

Good luck and keep us informed of the outcome.

Panda

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    If the RH is sold not as described then you could be entitled to a repair, the difference in cost between what you paid and the value of the RH or a refund. If this is the case then I would contact the seller to say this and obtain three quotes for the work then request they pay.

However.... I am unclear about the MOT certificate which appears to be 8 months old. Does the list of faults refer to defects which would fail an MOT or are they Advisories, ie the corrosion/welding which might not necessarily not cause an MOT failure but is a fault for the owner to be aware of? This is key. (My Kangoo panel van was previously owned by a farmer, had lime in the nearside sills and this caused extensive corrosion from the inside out. However, although I sold it in 2011 it was a further 4-5 years before the welding was actually necessary for an MOT pass and this could apply to your van.)

Is the MOT really fraudulent? It sounds to me as though it might be legitimate if supplemented by advisories. This isn't clear from your post. If the list of faults relate to unrectified MOT-failure items and if a pass certificate was then issued, then this is another matter. Proving the condition of the vehicle 8 months ago will be a challenge though.

I'm not sure whether there is a case here. How exactly did the seller word the advert? Did he say it was corrosion-free and no welding needed or did he say it had recently had extensive welding? If the former then you may have a claim if it is not as described. However, from your initial posts, it sounds to me as though the seller was careful in his choice of descriptive words. If he had stated that all welding work required to pass an MOT had been undertaken then you would have a clear case but I can't see anything to suggest he did and that the RH was actually true to the advert but there were defects which you didn't spot. If he had stated anything further regarding the description in the pre-sale inquiries or it is genuinely unroadworthy, which would be an offence under Section 75 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, then this could change things, of course.

There's no harm in pursuing this via eBay/PayPal which tend to take the buyer's side in disputes.

Good luck.
    Last edited by karenw; 27-05-2018, 20:02.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    good luck with it all, GG. I think you will eventually have to go to trading standards or the small claims court though. If you have all the proof in writing that the vehicle was dodgy, then you will have a good case.

Leave a comment:

• georgygirl
    replied
    Thanks everyone.
    No luck so far with getting my money back from the private seller on EBay. Yes, Jayjay, I am going for misreprensation of the original description, having kept my print out and all the other written answers from the seller about my pre-sale enquiries of the vehicle's condition. Also, of course, the fact that he collided in getting a dodgy MOT done.
    I am going through EBay channels. As seller has not responded within the required 8 days, I can now open a case and ask EBay to intervene.
    Yes, asking the dodgy MOT man to pay for repairs is an option. We had to laugh- when my mechanic rang him up, the guy was so panicked that after blaming his welder and still being questioned, he blurted out "well, the bloke (owner) said he was going to scrap it!" Classic.

Leave a comment:

• Rob B
    replied
    Originally posted by georgygirl View Post
    Thank you to everyone for your commiserations and advice, it's been a great help. I have to contact D, the seller with my case and give him a chance to respond.
    Also, I have to decide what I want. Do I want my £2,300 back to start all over again finding another Romahome?
    Or do I find out what the vehicle is actually worth in it's current condition, take that off what I paid, and use the money to fix the van?
    My mechanic doesn't weld so his welder needs to assess if indeed it can be done.
    There's a coolant leak and an oil leak.
    I will put all this to D in an email via EBay. If he doesn't respond within 8 days I think I can open a case with EBay and ask them to step in.
    Just to be aware, i know from bitter experience that Ebay will only refund monies paid via paypal, If you paid cash, cheque or bacs transfer then they won't refund you. They can instruct the seller to refund you if they side with you but thats all.

Leave a comment: