North Devon Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Devon Trip

Just got back from 4 nights at Caffyns Farm Lynton. It was remarkably quiet (just how I like it)
    Yet again I did not see one Roma on the road the whole 5 days and I did cover some miles.

However I did glimse a Roma (C15 / Berlingo could only see the back half) parked at a house on one of the hills in Lynton.
    Anyone on here,?

I haven't stayed at the campsite, but know the area pretty well. The coast road between Woody Bay and Lynton can be challenging, when you realise the scale of the drop down to the sea on the other side of that little wooden barrier.

Comment

I just love that area Gulliver, brought nice memories back of my childhood, spending lots of time in Linton and Lynmouth...hope you enjoyed your few days away. I'm hoping to do same once I buy my castle on wheels that is....bye for now.

Comment

We often go up there - there are some cracking wild camping spots up above Porlock go to bed looking at lights in Wales twinkling and awake to beautiful views of the Bristol Channel. Here is a video of our old Renault Trafic camper Romeo climbing Countisbury Hill.
        https://youtu.be/UKIxTz4LgzI

And yes before you ask the little Daihatsu Romahome has climbed Porlock Hill and gone down Countisbury Hill. - but compared to the hills on our recent Scottish adventure it is nothing - a mere bagatelle!
        Jon
        Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
        https://smallromahome2oldies1largedog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I wouldn't fancy trying to pull the caravan up Porlock Hill, even if it is only a lightweight I've got now! Lovely area though - many happy memories of past holidays in the area. I was only thinking the other day it's time I revisited the Lynton C&CC site. When I went there before, I forgot to buy a Club pennon. need one for my collection!
          Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
            I wouldn't fancy trying to pull the caravan up Porlock Hill, even if it is only a lightweight I've got now! Lovely area though - many happy memories of past holidays in the area. I was only thinking the other day it's time I revisited the Lynton C&CC site. When I went there before, I forgot to buy a Club pennon. need one for my collection!
            Cynthia.
            I think there's a signpost saying 'no caravans' at Porlock Hill, and an alternative route for them is signposted.

Comment

Cynthia - there is a Toll Road that bypasses Porlock Hill. In Porlock village there is a nice looking caravan site. I think there is no outright ban - but would not like to try getting around the hairpin bend at the bottom of the hill - it is a B***** with the van as it scrubs away all the speed.
              Jon

Comment

Yes, it's an advisory notice. If you google Porlock Hill+accidents, you'll see why!

porhillsign1.jpg

Comment

I did the toll road from Porlock a couple of years ago, Just to see. Still pretty steep in places though.

I went up Countisbury in my Duo from a standing start at the bottom, gave it some beans in 1st then into 2nd and it cruised up. Even caught up a motorhome, did think about giving him a helping push.

It didn't like the road up to Lynton from Lynmouth though, 1st gear all the way up. Hairpin at the bottom scrubbed all the speed off.

As a hint on travelling from the north I avoid the coast road.
                  I leave the M5 at Taunton and follow the signs for Minehead (A358) until Bishops Lydiard, (coffee stop at WSR) then turn left onto the B3224 for Weddon Cross / Exford / Simonsbath. Then over the moors to Lynton or Doone Valley.
                  I have found this route to be virtually traffic free and not too many steep hills when compared to the coast road.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

I think there's a signpost saying 'no caravans' at Porlock Hill, and an alternative route for them is signposted.
                    I think you're forgetting I'm virtually a local to the area, being 'just round the corner', still in Somerset, and have been caravanning/camping in this area for donkey's years! I did actually know there's another route to take without negotiating the 1-in-4s! I was just commenting on Jon's bravery for undertaking the hilly route - rather him than me! One advantage campervans have over us tin tent tuggers.
                    Cynthia.

Comment

Cynthia - that was nothing a mere molehill compared to Bealach-Na-Ba (Applecross Pass) on the NC500 not posted Sandra's video yet but here is a link to someone elses NC 500 video they took the same anticlock route as we took
                      https://youtu.be/vzfZAWsnyVg
                      Jon

Comment

I went to Applecross with my parents in the early sixties, we were tent camping.
                        There were no crash barriers then, the hairpin bends were not for the faint hearted. Dad had a Morris Isis Traveller, he had to do a couple of shunts to get round.
                        All that stopped you from going over the edge was a few boulders.
                        This was before the coast road was opened. It was just a track that went to a couple of farms and the Youth Hostel.

We camped on the beach and had the pleasure of a visit from The Queen. The Royal Yacht moored in the bay, she was visiting someone at the big house.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

I think you're forgetting I'm virtually a local to the area, being 'just round the corner', still in Somerset, and have been caravanning/camping in this area for donkey's years! I did actually know there's another route to take without negotiating the 1-in-4s! I was just commenting on Jon's bravery for undertaking the hilly route - rather him than me! One advantage campervans have over us tin tent tuggers.
                          Cynthia.
                          I know you knew the area, Cynthia... just thought I'd note it for newbies to the area!

Whilst touring the highlands, many moons ago, ex-BF and myself decided to visit Applecross... I took one look at the road, and another look at the warning signs and said, 'No way! I need the car to get home in!'

Comment

Originally posted by Gulliver7952 View Post
                            I went to Applecross with my parents in the early sixties, we were tent camping.
                            There were no crash barriers then, the hairpin bends were not for the faint hearted. Dad had a Morris Isis Traveller, he had to do a couple of shunts to get round.
                            All that stopped you from going over the edge was a few boulders.
                            This was before the coast road was opened. It was just a track that went to a couple of farms and the Youth Hostel.

We camped on the beach and had the pleasure of a visit from The Queen. The Royal Yacht moored in the bay, she was visiting someone at the big house.
                            There are no crash barriers now It is the most challenging bit of the whole NC500 - for those who go clockwise the trip must be a bit of an anti-climax after Applecross. We found the East Coast had some lovely views (but apart from the wide open spaces nothing fantastic - Cornwall has simular roads etc) The North Coast was stunning views and wilding on a virtual island on the Kyle of Tongue was beautiful. After "turning the corner" at Durness the Westcoast was breathtaking - The drive out to Applecross was interesting but nothing prepares you for the pass. Back to Inverness is then a gentle jaunt.
                            Jon

Comment

Today I was following an Atuosleeper along the road, one of those with a big one-piece fibreglass body. They are wonderfully well made. It occurred to me that no one makes them like that any more (actually there is one, I forget the name now) and here's my theory why. Imagine the big moulds you would have to have to make one of those bodies. It's the same for the older Romahomes. Then go and look at a youtube video of how a modern motorhome is made, for example Bailey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_x8bDuOVO0.
                              A flat sheet of side wall has laser patterns projected on to it and the holes are cut with a laser gun. Everything is glued on to the flat sheet. When all the sides are finished they are raised vertically and screwed together and the roof fitted on. That process is bound to be so much quicker and more economical than making a huge glass fibre body and then crawling around inside fitting the furniture and so on. So I don't think we will be seeing the likes of them any more, and that is why I think there aren't and won't be so many Romahomes about. Unless they can boost the number of panel vans they make. And even then they face very stiff competition from large companies with expensive backing behind them.
                              suivez l'aventure

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X