Where's the aerial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's the aerial?

Radio reception is awful on my Duo Outlook (Berlingo base). Any ideas on where the aerial is?

Sticking up from the roof near the back on mine ..

Comment

On some Fiat Ducatos it is in one of the wing mirrors and there are similar complaints. One of the things that made me go 'oh that's good' when I saw mine before I bought it was that the aerial is on the front roof above the windscreen. The higher the better. You could always fit one yourself. . . .
      Check the cable, it may have got pinched which would adversely affect the signal strength.
      suivez l'aventure

Comment

guff666 I assume your Duo is similar to my R20. I believe Romahome (are you listening on the IOW?) made the appalling decision to put the aerial inside the GRP skin at the ridge that goes up the middle of the luton. Result - abysmal radio reception. I returned mine under warranty and the dealer fitted a stick-on, amplified aerial on the top of the windscreen - result - poor radio reception but a small improvement over the bad factory decision.

Don't get me wrong I'm a HUGE Romahome fan, particularly of the R20 and Duo but this was poorly thought out (IMHO). Fortunately I don't really listen to the radio otherwise I'd shell out and get a traditional wing mount aerial. Indeed I must get round to changing the radio for something that has bluetooth, line-in etc so I can listen to music I want via my phone or mp3 player etc.

Comment

I've got a radio / cassette player in mine -
          radio reception is good & I use a cassette to jack plug adapter to connect it to my phone & play mp3's .

Comment

I too was curious about where the aerial is hidden. No problems with reception on the radio cassette on my Outlook though. The only problem has been with the door speakers which were falling apart.
            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Brian - I thought that glass fibre doesn't restrict RF waves, I would have thought it was ok to put it inside the skin.
              An antenna does benefit from having a metal earthed plate at its base, I wonder if the 'inside the fibreglass' aerial doesn't have that, and maybe that is the problem?
              suivez l'aventure

Comment

Andrew - either the GRP is coated or there is other wiring etc in the way of the aerial, or as you say it is probably just missing the ground plane. Whatever it is, reception is poor.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
                  Andrew - either the GRP is coated or there is other wiring etc in the way of the aerial, or as you say it is probably just missing the ground plane. Whatever it is, reception is poor.
                  When I worked as a motorcycle courier at one firm we had radios (Comms TxRx) mounted in the top box the ariel mounted on the Lid- to give the essential ground plane the lid was lined with tin foil. It worked the range was antwhere within the M25 provided there were no high buildings nearby and using high ground out as far as Luton and Leighton Buzzard down to Camberly etc.
                  Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
                  https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

On my 2005 Outlook, the radio aerial is at the back of the van next to the roof vent.
                    Obviously this is a long way from the radio, so Romahome had to put a joint in the cable, which is located in the cab interior light assembly above your head. Try checking that joint, and the wiring of the two aerial plugs.
                    I had to rewire one of the plugs, and wrapped the joint with insulation tape to keep it secure...
                    Schrödinger's cat:
                    Wanted Dead and Alive.

Comment

This may be of interest, it looks like a little folded diapole and signal amplifier - at the price I am taking a chance and goin to mount it in the Luton stuck to the roof.
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/252626680683?rmvSB=true
                      The advantage of a diapole is there is no need for a ground plane. When it arrives and I have installed it I will give an update if people are interested.
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                        This may be of interest, it looks like a little folded diapole and signal amplifier - at the price I am taking a chance and goin to mount it in
                        Jon
                        I'd definitely be interested, Jon.

I'm considering fitting a DAB radio to ours, so we'll have to fit a decent aerial then. I've tried the on-glass type (as came with a Pure highway I got secondhand), and it was pants. The overhang from the Luton was too much.
                        I'll probably go for a wing mounted combined FM/DAB/GPS antenna such as this one:
                        https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/produc...ab-car-aerial/

Comment

I have a Pure Highway which is now redundant. I found the stick on glass aerial rubbish too so bought a magnetic based one from Pure that improved the signal immensely. It was a darn site cheaper than the one you have linked to.

The reason my Pure Highway is redundant (i have used it in my C15) is that i have recently changed my daily drive which has a DAB fitted which then made the Sonichi radio i bought available for the C15. The Sonichi was bought when i first got the C15 and i couldn't be bothered moving the Pure from vehicle to vehicle.

Come to think of it, the Sonichi and aerial that i purchased was cheaper than the aerial that you have linked to. I'll see if i can find links to the products i purchased from Halfords. I have the magnetic based aerial adjacent to the FM aerial at the front of the C15 just below the luton.

Edit: Just looked on the Halfords site and can find the radio but can't copy a link (this appears to be a downside of using an iPad). I suggest you search for the item yourself. There is a link on the page to the Sonichi aerial but the page didn't open. The radio is £45 and the aerial is another £15 or so, why they don't bundle them together i have no idea.
                          Last edited by JimBro; 12-07-2018, 11:41 AM.
                          Wandering in a dazed state!

Comment

Originally posted by guff666 View Post
                            I'd definitely be interested, Jon.

I'm considering fitting a DAB radio to ours, so we'll have to fit a decent aerial then. I've tried the on-glass type (as came with a Pure highway I got secondhand), and it was pants. The overhang from the Luton was too much.
                            I'll probably go for a wing mounted combined FM/DAB/GPS antenna such as this one:
                            https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/produc...ab-car-aerial/
                            guff666 Assuming your van has a GRP Luton I think you will find the on-glass type ariel can be mounted on any surface inside the Luton. Height is all important in locating the ariel - a wing mounted ariel will be both lower and shielded by the body - in my opinion and knowledge the worst of all worlds.
                            At present I am unsure about the cheapo diapole I bought - I have to check the radio and ariel lead out before saying it is rubbish. Jon

Comment

Update the ariel is now working and appears to be relatively efficient - considering the price for the ariel and signal amplifier. The setup is diapole glued to the side on a vertical plane in the luton. The amplifier is also in the Luton there is a 3 metre extension lead plugged onto the ariel lead which runs along the side and under the floor covering to the radio.
                              For DAB I think you may need a splitter as the same ariel should do both FM and DAB.
                              Jon

Comment