Fridge query...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge query...

I have a question re the fridge in my R20...and in advance, please pardon my ignorance! I was led to believe that the fridge will work of EHU, or when driving, off the car battery...I know about switching the red switch and the small black one in the cab. So, I can do all that... however, am I right in thinking it can also work off the gas, when you are parked up without EHU? If so, I don't know how... I suspect the red knob with the snowflake symbol on it, (below the gas hob one) needs to be turned to horizontal, but then what?! Also is it economical... Up until now, I have just done without the fridge when in a site with no hook up... but as I'm planning a longer trip away in September, I'd really like to know how to do this before I leave!

Thanking you in advance...

What make and model of fridge is it?
    Away with the Fairies

Comment

If it is the standard Dometic as in my R20 then it is indeed 3-way - 12v, 240v, and gas. As you've noted the red switch on the fridge is 12v and there's also a cab switch that needs turning on. The fridge doesn't work well on 12v and will keep temperature rather than really get cold - so if running on 12v, get the fridge cold first, either by running on mains or gas for a while or using ice packs. 12v also only works when the ignition is on (I think). The fridge works well on 240v hook-up. There is a green switch for 240v - note only one out of the red 12v switch or green 240v switches should ever be on at once - don't use both.

Gas is a question of turning the gas isolator tap on (to the rear of the van, next to the cooker gas isolator) and then I think just selecting the gas switch which IIRC is the one you mention (been a while since I ran the fridge on gas). I don't think there is a separate ignition. Anyway you should hear a clicking noise as the piezo igniter starts sparking. After a few clicks, maybe quite a few if its not been used for a while the clicking should stop. If you kneel down (to pray that the fridge is working!) you should spot the flame of the fridge at the bottom at the back. Gas fridges can be a bit temperamental if not cleaned/serviced regular. Worth checking it works before needed.

Economy - if you are running it full time expect to get a week-10 days or so out of a gas cylinder assuming normal cooking, cuppa tea making. Life can be extended by having ice-packs in the fridge, turning fridge temp to minumum, turning fridge off overnight etc.

Been a while since I ran mine on gas so I hope the above is correct - others will probably amend the bits I missed or got wrong.

On a recent, very hot 7 week tour of Ireland we decided to not use the fridge unless at a site where EHU was included in the price. We were basically running it just to keep milk cold. So we switched to UHT milk which stays fresh without a fridge and bought food fresh daily. Mind you we only cooked about one day in 3, and ate out most of the time.

Comment

To the bottom left of the outside of our fridge is a switch. In order to use gas that switch has to be off (and conversely ON when using electric. It has stumped me a few times

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback...very helpful. I will go and investigate the fridge further and see if I can get it to work on gas...not something I'd need often, but good to have as a back up. I've had my fab Romahome for just over a year now and have managed this far without. When I was in the Hebrides in May, most of my time I had no electric hook up and managed without, with it working only when I was driving.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post

Economy - if you are running it full time expect to get a week-10 days or so out of a gas cylinder assuming normal cooking, cuppa tea making. Life can be extended by having ice-packs in the fridge, turning fridge temp to minumum, turning fridge off overnight etc.

Excellent advice from Brian, as always!

Also, if you happen to have enough space (!!) a coolbox with ice blocks and frozen food in it, considerably extends the range of 'fridge food' you can take. The frozen food thaws very gradually and helps to keep the other food cool. So, for example, the frozen casserole / soup comes out for consumption on about day 2 or 3.

For decades the coolbox was all I had when camping in tents with my family of five, and we managed just fine!
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I use a 2 ltr lemonade bottle filled with frozen water.
              Put it in the fridge the day before you go. Then put a couple of ice blocks in with the food.
              When running on gas I put the ice blocks in the freezer compartment (if you have one) to refreeze them.
              Gas consumption is very low. Though I didn't leave it on all night.

Comment