Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge help

hi all

my fridge was working on gas but lately the button keeps popping out? Is it meant to do this?

any help appreciated. I have a dometic fridge in a 2004 hylo.

thank you

helen

Just to say hello and welcome Hel .

Have you looked through recent posts as there has been quite a bit on about fridges lately. Which button do you mean. Any chance of a photo of the offending article?

Comment

Hi and welcome, Hel!

Which button? We could do with a photo. And what happens when it pops out? Does it switch off the fridge, or the gas?
      There are a few manuals for fridges on the main website available for download, if you can find out the make and the model.

Comment

Thank you.

i switch on the rocker yellow ignition switch then turn the knob whilst holding it in, the fridge makes popping sound like it’s lighting but when I release the knob the yellow light starts flashing again?

Comment

So the gas is coming through. That's the popping sound. The gas isn't staying lit, that's why the yellow light starts flashing again. Before you try anything else, just try holding in the knob for a bit longer, to let the thermocouple warm up. The thermocouple has to get warm enough to stay lit and let the gas through. Do you have a little window (usually at floor level, just to be irritating). Look through the little window right to the back of the fridge. The gas side, when lit, should burn with a steady blue flame and you will be able to see it through the little window. I hope this helps, let us know.

Comment

Thank you.

yes there is a steady blue flame whilst I press the knob in and keep it pressed in but flame goes out when I release knob. I’ve tried pressing it in for 2mins? Is that long enough?

Comment

Is this a new thing happening or are you lighting a new to you fridge.? Look outside the Fridge, possibly floor level and to the left, and you may find a switch (looks like a light switch). This needs to be off if you want to light the fridge on gas, or on if you are on 240V (well it seems it works like that on ours)

Comment

Yes, that's long enough. It sounds like a thermocouple problem. It's either not quite in the right place, or it needs a new one.

There's an explanation here in the link below, and the remedy. It might be easier to get a mobile engineer out to fix it!

https://www.hunker.com/12610390/how-...s-refrigerator

ETA - Sandra posted at the same time as I did, so note what Sandra says as well.. might be a switch somewhere which needs to be in the right position in order for the gas to light, and which might have been switched on by mistake.
                Last edited by jayjay; 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for your help really appreciated.

its a new thing happening, no switches on so think the thermocouple has gone.
                  should a mobile campervan engineer be able to fix it?

Comment

I would google mobile caravan/campervan engineers in your area and ask the question. It should be possible, and should take no longer than an hour, I would have thought, for a replacement. The part itself isn't expensive, it will be the time it takes that adds to the price.

It's possible that the thermocouple has just moved slightly and needs adjusting. If you know anyone who could follow the instructions in the link I put in earlier, (Step 6) it might only need a slight adjustment.

Comment

Hi Hel. Just pull the knob off, pack a bit of tissue paper inside the knob and refit it, you should find all works as it should. What has happened is the fridge has moved slightly and is pushing the top cover towards the knob preventing it from being pushed right in, the tissue paper holds the knob out a bit and counters the new fridge position. Thermocouples very rarely die so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                        Hi Hel. Just pull the knob off, pack a bit of tissue paper inside the knob and refit it, you should find all works as it should. What has happened is the fridge has moved slightly and is pushing the top cover towards the knob preventing it from being pushed right in, the tissue paper holds the knob out a bit and counters the new fridge position. Thermocouples very rarely die so soon.
                        Thank you for your help, Ant! I had completely forgotten about this, but I remember you talking someone else with the same problem through it, now you've mentioned it. So its probably a really easy fix! hel try this first!

Comment

Definitely try Ants advice Hel. That's exactly what happened with a fridge we had many years ago in our Duo, it was still under warranty so a service engineer came out and did just what Ant said. Worked perfectly thereafter.

Comment

Ant that’s amazing!!! Thank you soooooo much.

This forum is incredibly helpful.

thanks all for your support, now working

xx

Comment

Originally posted by hel View Post
                              Ant that’s amazing!!! Thank you soooooo much.

This forum is incredibly helpful.

thanks all for your support, now working

xx
                              Brilliant. Bet that saved you a bob or two that can now be spent on camping! ant is amazing.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X