This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgins

We are getting our very first Romahome20 in 2weeks any hints and tips very welcome. Big thanks. Lyn

Hi Lyn

Glad you have made it on to the forum, thanks for your perseverance patience.

You will love your R20, drives just a like a car and brilliant for camping in, they are like the tardis.

Lots of tips and information if you have a look round the forum and on our main website www.smallmotorhome.co.uk , enjoy your van.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Virgin trip

I have just returned from my first mini adventure in a courtesy Romahome R20. I took it to Chester Folk festival, where the bodywork gave rise to many interested comments, especially the notion of a van being driven around with its measurements plastered across the outside!

Overall, I was impressed by the van – good acceleration and brakes, easy enough for a car driver to handle, though I was nervous about reversing such a long vehicle and was glad to have reversing sensors.

The van was warm and cosy at night, with plenty of room for one person though two people in the van would perhaps find it a bit of a squeeze. An awning / overflow tent would be useful to provide additional living space for daytime use. Organising the storage of basic equipment, clothes, food etc. needs considerable though, the items needing less regular access to be stored in the cupboards under the bed(s) being used. Plastic boxes and the stronger long-life carrier bags from the local supermarket seem to be particularly useful as they can easily be lifted out of the cupboards for rummaging through. Also it is important to only carry the bare essentials in the way of cooking / eating equipment as space is at such a premium. Perhaps a zipped up pencil case would have been better for all the cutlery, rather than the fancy case the cutlery came in.

The portaloo was worth its weight in gold for late night ‘comfort visits’ – so much better than a visit to those dreaded festival loos. But it was tricky to remove later (have to lift it over a door). Having running water inside the van was really useful. The fact the it was only cold water was no problem (you do have a cooking hob for a kettle if hot water is needed.) I could even wash my feet in the sink, thanks to the split level floor providing a handy platform to stand on!

Taking my own version of a duvalay was great, as I didn't feel any of the joins between the cushions at night, though it was rather bulky to store during the day if I wanted to put it away.

It took us quite a long while to work out how to light the fridge and there does appear to be a bit of a knack for assembling the double bed in such a manner so one won’t put one’s knee through a gap in the seat cushions being used, in the middle of the night. It seem I should have used the table as a bed support. Duh!

Overall, sleeping in the R20 was a great improvement on sleeping in a tent, especially considering the rainy, windy conditions. It took me quite a while to load / unload all the essentials - after all, one is now taking the kitchen sink as well. But obviously, when our own van arrives, we would leave it fully equipped all the time, making preparations so much easier.

I’m now really looking forward to the imminent arrival of our own R20, due any day. We will have to compare notes!
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I dont understand the lift the loo over a door bit. The door to the loo compartment removes for emptying the loo

Comment

Hints and tips - try and get to a meet. Everyone is very friendly and more than willing to share their tips and wrinkles with you. And you learn a lot just by looking at what others do with awnings, internal storage etc.

Our new R20 arrived last December, although we did have a C15 a few years ago. This year, so far, we have managed to get to the Romahome AGM and this group's Spring meet and already we have changed several things about how and where we arrange and store stuff in the van, mostly through conversations or seeing other folks' vans.

We're loving our van and I'm sure you will too, a great piece of design and easy to drive - and as a bonus the 2 fuel calculations to date have yielded an average of 42 mpg.

Oh and NomadSue - I've just emptied our loo (yes, we were away again last weekend) and as Peter say's the door lifts off. You don't even need to lift the sink up.

Brian

Comment

lifting the loo

Ooh...duh...should have thought of checking out to see if the door can be removed. Thanks for this really helpful tip!!:so happy:

Comment

We are in Spain with our R20, our first major trip with the new van. There is a gale blowing here at the moment, but the van is standing up to everything. I am just trying to picture lifting the portie potty over the door, we had a problem with our door just before we left, as I was going to fill the toilet, only to discover the door would not lift off, thought it was just me but even my husband couldn't get it off, so a hurried phone call to Ant was called for,needless to say it is now fixed. Greetings form Spain
              Last edited by Megan; 01-06-2011, 20:05.

Comment

Space saving tips

My R20 HyLo has even less space. But assuming you have the toilet option there are many ways of utilising space. There is a large gap between the loo and the folding washbasin above. We keep there a flexible Thermos coolbag to contain all our cutlery (kept in two neoprene pencil cases) and crockery, and also a Tranger (a set of pans with folding handles & kettle that all fit into eachother). At night they are taken out and placed on top of the cooker so that the loo is ready for action!

We only take with us on tour what will fit in the lockers and the luton with the lid closed. Clobber like tables, chairs, tents etc just get in the way of using the relaxing room of the campervan.

Comment

Actually I found it a struggle lifting the loo over the door in my vehicle too.... Is there an easier way then? ?? Doors off hinges am I reading this correctly??

Comment

Yes

If you open the door so that you can grab hold of it you can lift it up slightly and pull the bottom outwards and lower it the pins will leave their housingsa nd the door is off. Refitting is the reverse.

It does give instructions in the handbook

Comment

When we had a Duo with toilet option we used to lift the door off, it's a lot easier.
                      Graham
                      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Virgins

Re lifting the door - This makes an interesting variant on 'Take up thy bed and walk' , eh? Thanks for the specific instructions - I did try the other day but still couldn't lift the door off. Now, armed with the instructions, I'll give it another go.

Comment

video clips for newbies

As a newbie to R20 Hilo's, I wonder if it would helpful if someone posted 'Janet and John' videoclips for the various skills required when using these vans (easier to follow than pics and written instructions). eg Removing the loo door (!!), lowering the steadies, making up the double bed so you don't put your knee through in the middle of the night, little tricks for packing the essentials, etc. All very easy once done successfully, I expect!
                          Maybe there are already such clips in existence?

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                            Yes

If you open the door so that you can grab hold of it you can lift it up slightly and pull the bottom outwards and lower it the pins will leave their housingsa nd the door is off. Refitting is the reverse.

It does give instructions in the handbook
                            To make getting up in the night less of a fuss remove the door before going to bed.

If you intend to make up one double bed then the door will fit in the aisle beneath the beds. Also, we place the sink on top of the hob's glass cover before we go to bed incase we need to use the loo.

Andrew & Sally

Comment

Originally posted by andsally View Post
                              Also, we place the sink on top of the hob's glass cover before we go to bed incase we need to use the loo.

Andrew & Sally
                              Why do you put the sink on the hob? Ours lifts up and stays put in the drain gulley at back of sink.
                              Moya :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X