This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20: Not happy

We took delivery of our new R20 Hi on 21 April. Shortly afterwards we noticed that the rear door leaked light and air at both the top and bottom of the long side (the lock side).

I have made two trips from London to get this rectified, firstly to Godalming, and then to Southampton. Initially the adjustments appeared to work, but within a few days the light leaks have reappeared.

Moreover, I was told that it is a common issue that the curves of the rear door do not often match up with the back of the vehicle that surround it - i.e. the bottom corner of the door sticks out about 8mm from the back opening. I tend to agree with the information I was given as I also saw another showroom new vehicle with the same problem.

Any suggestions / advice please?

Andrew

R20

Originally posted by andsally View Post
    We took delivery of our new R20 Hi on 21 April. Shortly afterwards we noticed that the rear door leaked light and air at both the top and bottom of the long side (the lock side).

I have made two trips from London to get this rectified, firstly to Godalming, and then to Southampton. Initially the adjustments appeared to work, but within a few days the light leaks have reappeared.

Moreover, I was told that it is a common issue that the curves of the rear door do not often match up with the back of the vehicle that surround it - i.e. the bottom corner of the door sticks out about 8mm from the back opening. I tend to agree with the information I was given as I also saw another showroom new vehicle with the same problem.

Any suggestions / advice please?

Andrew
    we got how r20 3 month ago we are think selling going for nu venture surf as beter in side [email protected]

Comment

Andrew I know this is a new van and it is the dealers that should cope with it BUT if I wanted advice on a motorhome I would ring Ant at Avonmotorhomes because I think he would tell you the truth. Then you could approach your dealer in an informed way. I am sure he has to be careful and professional obviously but he is a very straightforward person.

Actually i think Ant is one of the main reasons I bought a Romahome! I simply do not have to worry about backup if anything goes wrong.
      Last edited by Tentpeg; 04-06-2011, 08:19.

Comment

Thanks for that. Apart from door, we are delighted with the vehicle and it will serve us very well.

Any more comments please?

Andrew & Sally

Comment

Hi Andrew and Sally.
          I can confirm that the rear doors on the R20 never have fitted flush to the body at the bottom. Adjusting the rear door can be a bit tricky, the temptation is to adjust it as tight as you can, this rarely solves the problem. The door catch has two positions where it catches ( just like the cab doors), if you over adjust the door and you're unable to get it to catch on the second position the door will not be sucured tightly and movement will lead to the seal failing. It sounds a bit odd, but I cure more leaking doors by slackening the fit so that both catches click home than I do by adjusting them to be tighter!
          If you stand behind the van and just push the door shut you can hear the "Clicks" as the door shuts. If you only hear 1 click it's too tight and needs slackening, 2 clicks it might stand further adjustment.
          Thanks
          Ant

Comment

This may account for the necessity to SLAM the rear door on our R20 hilo to ensure it closes properly. This is not too considerate to nearby campers if entering / leaving the vehicle at night.
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
              This may account for the necessity to SLAM the rear door on our R20 hilo to ensure it closes properly. This is not too considerate to nearby campers if entering / leaving the vehicle at night.
              "My girlfriend has black fingernails - I told her I thought they were sexy - now she thinks I slammed the car door deliberately"

Emo Phillips
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                "My girlfriend has black fingernails - I told her I thought they were sexy - now she thinks I slammed the car door deliberately"

Emo Phillips
                Whereas I am sporting blood red nails today

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                  Whereas I am sporting blood red nails today
                  Ive told you to open the door to get out instead of clawing your way through the walls
                  MOS xx

Comment

Originally posted by MOS View Post
                    Ive told you to open the door to get out instead of clawing your way through the walls
                    MOS xx
                    I really must stop reading the messages on this forum - you make me laugh so much!!

Comment

HI andsally
                      I don't know if the R20 has the same hinges as our R25, but the bolts kept working loose on the hinges , so i fitted some spring washers on the bolts (the door kept dropping) I got the washers from Halfords

BRIAN

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X