As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On board water hygene

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On board water hygene

Any tips please about maintaining hygene of the on-board fresh water sytem so that we can confidently drink fresh water from the tap?

Thanks

Andrew & Sally

Originally posted by andsally View Post
    Any tips please about maintaining hygene of the on-board fresh water sytem so that we can confidently drink fresh water from the tap?

Thanks

Andrew & Sally
    hi you two,
    1- fill 3/4 full and flush regularly
    2-drain down at years end,flush with a sterilizer before you do,I use Miltons tablets x2.
    3- flush with sterilizer at beginning of camping year,let sterilizer work over night.
    4 -you may get "tealeaves" in your water if you leave over winter,this is a biofilm that grows on the inside of the tank and pipes,not toxic just unsightly.
    there are commercial biocides that will scoure the tank and pipes,I dont use them.
    5- if you are really bothered,use the tank for washing and washing up and cooking,and get a 5 litre bottle for drinking.

n.b if you dont drain down at beginning of winter the pipes may freeze and you may get a disconnection at the non return valve,this is common,and then a leak when you refil,more info on this in the ask Ant section.
    you can also ask him for his advice on keeping the tank fresh.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi to you - same advice as Ian really. This year I tried the Puriclean you get in little pots from Halfords and the like. Seemed a bit cheaper and seemed to flush out any black bits in the pipes/tank really well.

In between holidays, I air dry my water carrier, not sure if you can do that with an onboard tank completely, but air drying things ensures that there is no water to produce any harmful bacteria.

To clean the sink pipe, just use a teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda and a dash of white vinegar, it fizzes up and cleans the nasty bits out of the drainpipe really well.

I agree with the draining down at the end of the season, very easy to forget with disastrous consequences!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
      Working...
      X