Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Looking

Hello,

I am still looking for a Romahome. I have seen one on ebay about 400 miles and a ferry journey away. It is a 2002 Berlingo 1868cc engine but a wee more than I want to pay. This seems to be the normal for any I see.

Could someone give any advice on sensible questions to ask or things to check before I do something stupid like go see it, fall in love, buy it anyway. I know about checking MOT advisories and that the cam belt has been done. I know that the local breakdown service can fit one on the back of their truck as I seen one there during the summer.

I dont have very much mechanical knowlege or a particularly friendly mechanic. If fact he is more likely to give me a real row about not being sensible. He is a one person business who retails fuel, coal, calor gas so is very busy and has known me for years.

Would I be able to get a red calor gas cylinder in the gas locker at that age? I think I read somewhere that at that age I might not.
    Thank you

What model of Romahome are you for? C15, R10, R20, R25, R30, ... ?

Comment

A Duo outlook ideally I hoped to get about 2004 just prior to the pullman layout. I wouldnt be able to afford any newer.

Comment

Hi and welcome! I hope you find what you are looking for. I would phone the seller and ask lots of questions before going all that way to view.
        Something a bit nearer might come up on the For Sale part of the SMHF website here, so don't be too hasty!

I can identify with falling in love and going a long way to get a small motorhome though. I went from South Cheshire to Leeds on the train to view one. Fell in love, drove it home (it broke down twice on the way home) and had to throw a fair bit of money at it to get it through it's next MOT. Having said that, I went to the Outer Hebrides and back in it!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

I can identify with falling in love and going a long way to get a small motorhome though. I went from South Cheshire to Leeds on the train to view one. Fell in love, drove it home (it broke down twice on the way home) and had to throw a fair bit of money at it to get it through it's next MOT. Having said that, I went to the Outer Hebrides and back in it!
          Thank you I am glad to know someone understands my challenges. Its on Ebay, in Louth, and Dragonville is the seller. I think if I start a conversation about it with the seller I could do something rash. Basically that's how I ended up with my Octavia. I was on the mainland of Scotland for a few days looked for a car didn't see anything I particularly liked, looked on internet when I got back, spotted the ad, phoned the garage then collected it a couple of weeks later but that was a much newer vehicle.

Comment

You'd be better putting in a search for something nearer. There's an option on Ebay (and the car trader sites, usually) to use your postcode+how many miles radius you want to look, so that the vehicles that come up are only x miles away. Although you do have to be prepared to travel if you see something worth travelling for.

If you put in a link to the ebay ad, we will all have a look for you! Photos tend to make a vehicle look better than it is, so do be aware that you need to see something with your own eyes before you start bidding. Dealer prices are a lot higher, but you do have some sort of comeback if things aren't ok.

Also you can pay for a vehicle check by an engineer from the AA or similar organisation, which will make you aware of any problems.

I'm speaking with hindsight here!!

Comment

Thinking laterally have you considered a NuSurf, there is a tidy looking one for sale on the forum listings. As someone (who apart from a leased van and car when I was a courier and mini cabbing) has always bought secondhand. I would say there are always good and there are bad. Working out which is difficult.
              My van before this one looked great even when I crawled under it - but 10 months later terminal corrossion appeared.
              This van came from a dealer, I bought it expecting it to only last until the MoT, (its a demountable so I was expecting to swap base vehicles soon. - Now 20 months, 2 MoTs, lands end to JoG and back, plus NC500, later a retruck is on the back burner, and then only because we want a bigger cab. Do not get me wrong we have done some work on her, but she is now at 90K miles. But then she cost just under £2K and I had to travel a round trip of 480 miles - yes living in Cornwall is very like living on an island without the Ferry being compulsory, but it is the same isolation. and the best deals to get what you want are always hundreds of miles away.
              Jon
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hope this link works
                Super low mileage of 49626 by 3 previous owners with comprehensive service history. Great Specification to include: Gas blown air heating system, kitchen sink with cold water tap, 2 ring gas hob, gas grill, Electrolux fridge, 240v hook up, Leisure battery, Zig unit, 240v sockets, 12v lighting, blinds/fly screens/curtains, CD player, wardrobe, lots of storage under seats and above cab, on board fresh water tank, 2 x external lockers (one is a gas locker that accepts 2 x gas bottles). | eBay!

Comment

wow good price, try this one on our forum it has a toilet

https://community.smallmotorhome.co....-surf-for-sale

hopefully i'm allowed to do that

kyran

Comment

dreamsschemes After looking for several months, just a few weeks ago I bought from a lovely couple on this site a Berlingo Romahome year 2000 with 76K on the clock, an awful lot cheaper than the one you mentioned. Mine came with the pop up tent and some extras as well and was just a couple of hours journey away. I was really pleased to discover it had been undersealed which for me is a must..Do you belong to the Facebook site Small Motorhome Forum, also worthwhile posting on Preloved..Mine has a dumpy campingaz bottle but been advised that I can use the less expensive calor gaz dumpy size blue or orange.Apparently in Europe only campingaz is available.

Comment

You can get bargains if you wait long enough and are prepared to travel. It all depends what you want and are prepared to put up with or not, and how much risk you are prepared to take I suppose. I wish i had bought a van with heating and or gaslow as it wouldnt have cost a lot more to buy but costs alot to have put in.
                      Bare in mind the berlingo was facelifted in 2004 and therefore those models are more expensive, im not sure when the R20 came out over the duo.
                      Most duo's have a 1.9d diesel (old slow but very reliable) more modern vehicles often have 1.6hdi or larger hdi engine. (much faster and better and more modern engine - some will say less reliable.
                      im not sure if this is your first motorhome/camper but it is not a cheap hobby and i would say buy one that you like/love and are prepared to enjoy!
                      nb for some people enjoyment = fixing things.

Comment