Romahome R20 Lo leaking roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome R20 Lo leaking roof

Hello my name is Suzanne and Beryl is my very recently purchased Romahome. I took her to Norfolk for her maiden voyage but sadly when I went to set up the bed I found that there were wet patches on either side of the fabric which meets the roof when down (it rained all the way on the journey and was very windy) I am devastated and would like some advice as I looked inside the other day, after having the roof up to air, on my drive and the leak has spread further towards the middle of the fabric on the left. I have contacted the company that I bought it from and they have offered to put it in their showroom with a humidifier to dry it out and also contact a Romahome dealership for advice. Please can anyone give me any advice as at the moment Beryl is not fit for purpose and I have many trips planned for her in the future. Thank you Suzanne

Sorry I can't help as I've never owned a fabric sided pop top of any sort but your post has slipped to page 2 so I am bumping it up so others will see it.

Comment

This problem has been discussed several times before but i'm afraid I can't locate the links to previous threads. I THINK Artoo0 gave sensible advice about it, for example.

When it happened on my then brand new conversion, the van went back to the factory where the top was re-built and stained upholstery replaced. Problem didn't occur again. But that solution is not an option for you!

Have your checked the sealant all round the lift up roof? Maybe it needs redoing?

You should be able to camp in rainy conditions with the roof up, without having to worry about possible leaks. Certainly, when the rain has finally stopped, it would be wise to put the roof back up once home, to give things a chance to dry out properly.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I have a fabric sided caravan, a pop top, very similar to a Romahome. The actual fabric on mine is the original 1982 canvas. I never get leaks from this, but have had leaks from the roof, which is a solitary panel. I recently had the sealant renewed on the roof, as that was where the water was coming in, from the edges of the roof, where the sealant had deteriorated. That's unlikely to be your problem though, as the roof is in once piece and is GRP, so should be watertight.

If you are getting water ingress when the roof is down, then it might be the seal between the top and bottom of the body that is causing it.
        There is little point in drying everything out, only to find that the roof is still leaking from somewhere the next time there is some rain.

What I would do (and what I have done in the past) is to get someone to train a hosepipe on the outside of the camper, while you wait for the water to come in on the inside. Then you have an area which is pinpointed as being the area in question and can investigate further to see whether it's seals or sealant or non-alignment of top and bottom, or even just a gap, or whatever. Bear in mind that where the rain is going in, might not be where it is coming out, as water can travel some distance from the point where it's coming in before it shows up on the inside. Similarly, once the water has started coming in, it will spread along, especially on fabric. Just a few drops of rain can result in a large wet patch.

It could simply be the force of the wind and rain when driving into it that is forcing the water inside, in which case you will need to look carefully at the front area and sides of the roof/join to see if that is the place where the ingress is occurring.

I hope the company you bought it from can discover where the leak is coming from. They should be able to do that, and it will probably just be the case that a seal needs replacing.

let us know how you get on.

Comment

I see Ant has responded to a post on his page now, but just for info, we did indeed have some ingress on a couple of occasions, but neither time did the water get past the GRP uprights. The first time we discussed it with Ant who pointed out that there is a small gap at the front of the fabric, and a wind in the right (or wrong!) direction can blow rain in. Likewise, parking nose-up can let the rain run down, but of course both these require the roof to be up.

The second occasion was simply due to us pinching the fabric in the seal when lowering the roof and the rain wicking through.
          Geoff

Comment

I had a very similar problem with my R20 LO 11 REG but old model. The screws the fixed the gutter which drains the water and takes the fabric when closed were not sealed during production. This was admitted by Romahome who had it back and fixed it. Hope it helps if you havnt fixed it yet?

Comment

I had exactly the same problem Suzanne it’s an easy fix... prob ant has already said...
              The storage fabric pelmets that screw into the fibreglass guttering of roof need to be sealed up so water gettin into the guttering doesn’t go into the fabric pelmets. What I’ve done with mine is remove all the underside screws goin through fabric, seal them from above in the guttering and then reattach the pelmets with screws going into both far ends horizontally.
              i would send you some pics only don’t know how to attach them on here.
              if you d like some send me your email address and I ll email you.

helen xx

Comment

Originally posted by hel View Post
                i would send you some pics only don’t know how to attach them on here.
                if you d like some send me your email address and I ll email you.

helen xx
                Helen Photos are easy. At the right top of the wrting a post form are 3 symbols a square (folder), the letter A, and a emeticon.
                put mouse pointer over square "upload attachments" Below post form under smileys 2 buttons "upload file" "upload URL" choose upload file - now click o your photo file - upload choose small or medium - then post job done.
                Jon

Comment