No announcement yet.

Worrying 'bout my baby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get one of those plastic car covers (large size, for 4x4s) or a trailer cover, and cover it over. At least that way perhaps no more water will get in, especially if it's coming from the skylight. Cover the fridge vent as well.

Is there anyone who can start it up and maybe drive it around for a bit while it's just sitting around? Even a new battery will soon go flat if it's not being run regularly... or far enough for the alternator to charge the battery.

My car was playing up this morning with the cold weather. Too many short journeys I think.

Comment

If you are leaving it / her for three months at a time you definitely either need to get a solar panel, a minimum of 50 watts should do it, or you need to disconnect the battery before you leave the van, and then recharge it before reconnecting it. I am not surprised that after three months it wouldn't start the engine. I doubt if the new one would, after it is a year old.
      Happiness is wanting what you have got.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
        If you are leaving it / her for three months at a time you definitely either need to get a solar panel, a minimum of 50 watts should do it, or you need to disconnect the battery before you leave the van, and then recharge it before reconnecting it. I am not surprised that after three months it wouldn't start the engine. I doubt if the new one would, after it is a year old.
        OK point taken.
        It's exactly the same routine as for many years with the previous 'van and oddly enough I never had any probs there, it always used to start up fine after being left for months. Hence why I hoped this one would as well, but maybe it was the exception rather than the rule (was a Merc Hymer 2.3 so a bigger battery I s'pose, also the battery was inside the van so maybe kept warmer?). Plus I leave my car for months on end while I'm off in the van, no probs there either, but that tends to be over summer. Maybe I've just been lucky to date and my luck's running out

Would the solar panel have to be fitted, or could I just buy one and plug it in and stick it on the dash so it gets sun through the windscreen?
        Away with the Fairies

Comment

I would agree with Andrew gasgas - Solar Panel - the dashboard panels are about 5 watt - really quite useless - you need a solar panel on the roof running through a controller so it will charge the vehicle battery. That being so I would suggest for a small extra amount get a 100 watt panel and a dual controller so you are charging both the vehicle and the leisure batteries.
          Jon
          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
          https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Voyageuse View Post

OK point taken.
            It's exactly the same routine as for many years with the previous 'van and oddly enough I never had any probs there, it always used to start up fine after being left for months. Hence why I hoped this one would as well, but maybe it was the exception rather than the rule (was a Merc Hymer 2.3 so a bigger battery I s'pose, also the battery was inside the van so maybe kept warmer?). Plus I leave my car for months on end while I'm off in the van, no probs there either, but that tends to be over summer. Maybe I've just been lucky to date and my luck's running out

Would the solar panel have to be fitted, or could I just buy one and plug it in and stick it on the dash so it gets sun through the windscreen?
            A quick thought in the C15 do you have a radio with clock etc - even when turned off and the ignition off the radio will be consuming electricity it keeps the station memory etc going - typically this has been found to be about 50 milli amps that is One amp every 20 hours.
            Maybe before you go - either disconnect the battery earth lead or unplug the radio connections. If you find the battery is fine when you get back you will know it was "parasetic current draw" causing the fault
            Jon
            Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
            https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

The C15 cigarette lighter socket is always on (it was on mine at least) which makes it easy to connect a solar panel. I had a small dashboard panel on mine and it was quite capable of keeping an already charged battery topped up over the winter months. Useless for much else although on one occasion it managed to put enough vots into a dead battery to get a smart charger to work.
              My neighbour also uses one successfully on his rarely used Land Rover since it's battery went flat on him.
              Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

I too have a small dasboard solar panel that keeps my battery topped up over the winter months. One thing i do is make sure the windscreen (and therefore the solar panel) are facing south. The lead plugs into the cigarette lighter and tops the battery up as a diode ensures one way charge.
                Wandering in a dazed state!

Comment

We have a dashboard one too and it works well

Comment

we almost never not use it . I think the longest is 3 weeks without going somewhere, I think the wife must have gypsy blood

Comment