This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security for R20

Having read the various comments re motorhome security on this site and seen some very useful points being raised, I wonder if anyone would like to comment re the best security measures to take without being paranoid?

So far I have purchased a steering wheel lock and wheel clamp (nice and visible). Next on the list is an alarm, especially valuable if / when I use the van on my own.

What do people think re tracking devices? Seems they are more for the benefit of the insurance people than mine. (They can get the vehicle back to you but could be badly damaged. Would it feel the same afterwards?) They are not cheap to run though do earn you a nominal discount on the insurance.
    Carpe diem! :)

security

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
    Having read the various comments re motorhome security on this site and seen some very useful points being raised, I wonder if anyone would like to comment re the best security measures to take without being paranoid?

So far I have purchased a steering wheel lock and wheel clamp (nice and visible). Next on the list is an alarm, especially valuable if / when I use the van on my own.

What do people think re tracking devices? Seems they are more for the benefit of the insurance people than mine. (They can get the vehicle back to you but could be badly damaged. Would it feel the same afterwards?) They are not cheap to run though do earn you a nominal discount on the insurance.
    have u seen the ade on page 266 in the MMM MOTORE HOME price £125 think trying on we live with in one houres drive so would go over see one fist diggdeep

Comment

Most motorhomes, even very expensive ones have the same type

Peter

Comment

Talk about making people feeling nervous at night on their own, I am glad I will have my Miniature Schnauzer with me when I'm on my own, anyone will think twice when they hear him barking, I am afraid that is the only security I have.

Comment

I didn't mean for anyone to feel nervous but if your man wanted to break in what would he do?

The windows on my C15 are going to be modified so the there will be 3 strong points that can fasten tight, like a porthole on a boat.

I have confidence that my side windows and rear windows cannot be entered again as it was in Marseille last week. And it's right to say that most motorhomes have plastic windows, just like the old fella sat next to me in Marseille police station who had his 4 berth Hymer entered and trashed in seconds.They got in through the side window.

I can only think manufactuers use plastic due to the lightness and a degree of flexibility.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what I came back to after being too complacent with security

Comment

security on windows

But where could one go to get the windows made more secure? (NW England, preferably)

A pity this matter is not addressed in the original design.

Comment

It's my opinion that a manufacturer will build the Romahomes/campers at the most economical price using plastic where ever they can. Well that's OK but the original design is so poor that the fastening points are weak. I don't mean to be telling Romahomers what they already know but it could be that every single one of us know what we would do if we had to get inside without a key especially through flimsy plastic windows on the side.

So what I will do is to make, initialy for myself, a far more stronger system that can be installed that will make it very difficult for a theif to just gain entry through force on a securing point. I'll get the prototype pics on the site tonight, hopefully.

Comment

security

Originally posted by diggdeep View Post
                have u seen the ade on page 266 in the MMM MOTORE HOME price £125 think trying on we live with in one houres drive so would go over see one fist diggdeep

Sorry but I can't see what you mean - I guess you must be referring to the previous edition magazine. What exactly am I looking for, please?

Comment

tracker

Originally posted by NomadSue2011 View Post
                  Sorry but I can't see what you mean - I guess you must be referring to the previous edition magazine. What exactly am I looking for, please?
                  in mmm page 266 thar is a gps vehicle tracking satellite tracking with no monthly fee it tex u if your vel get brock in to it is £125 pound [email protected]

Comment

So sorry to hear about your break-in Nigel. Marseilles has long had a reputation for being a dangerous area. In fact, when our car was stolen in 1985, that is where it was found.

I was wondering about the appearance of your Romahome when you left it alone. When I am a bit insecure, I do the following:

Close all curtains, so that nobody can tell whether there is someone there or not.

Turn on the radio so it sounds like someone is inside.

I am always very aware of anyone lurking about when I park and plan to leave for any length of time. In your case, taking down the kayak and paddling away pretty much says that the camper is empty, but I suppose you could pretend there is still someone or a dog inside and say good-bye as you leave

Other than a set of ugly bars across the windows, a brick can be used to get in, no matter what fastening arrangement is used.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post

SPOTTED THIS GADGET http://back2you.com/store/product_in...?product_id=75 In a Top Gear magazine. £195 gets you a self-contained (so transferrable between vehicles / camper / caravan) device which will send you a Lat / Long coordinate if you dial it up. This can then be put into Google Maps / Earth to show you its location. 60 day battery life, no monthly/annual subscription BUT it's not 'Tracker', the boys in blue don't have a gadget in their cars to hunt it down. But if the worst does happen you'll be able to tell them where to look! Essentially it's a PAYG mobile phone with GPRS which when prompted texts you back with a location.

Comment

That looks pretty usful, thanks. Hmm, now weighing up yet more expenditure for the van against what I would lose if it were stolen.

Comment

Tracker

Hi if my camper had been stolen I would feel violated and would rather not have it back how would you know if it had bee thrashed you could end up paying thousands out for new engine gearbox etc 6 months down the line.
                          I would settle for the insurance money
                          So no tracking device for me unless forced upon me by insurance
                          Alf

Comment

have to say I feel vulnerable camping alone in a C15 -none of the locks seem very secure. Don't have a dog - does anyone know where I can buy a dog sounding alarm

So I have stuck to campsites - which wasn't my intention when I bought the van. Often quite expensive for one person in a tiny van

If the van was trashed while I wasn't in it - I would be devastated cos I don;'t think the insurance would pay out anything like what it is worth to me (being an old vehicle)

Most of the suggestions for improving security are beyond what I would be able to fork out

Comment

I have been looking for a basic steering lock but they don't seem to sell them any more in these days of central locking etc. anyone know where I could get one? Even a small deterrent is better than none

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X