This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Length of motorhome ..

I have today phoned a site I have not used before to book a long weekend. They went through all the usual questions .. when you coming, ow long you staying etc .. then asked .. how big is your unit .. my answer .. about 3 1/2 metres.. I then got asked if I was sure as that is about the same length as a car .. Me laughing said yes .. and a big estate car is longer .. anyone else had that response?
    Wonder what they will think when I arrive and see I was serious as still don't think she believed me as I heard her telling her husband just before I hung up ..
    I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
    http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Yes, I've had this when booking C&CC sites (on the rare occasion I use them). I was in my 4m Kangoo Roo at the time and this is even shorter than a Romahome!

I think the shortest current motorhome is probably the Citroen Nemo at 3.86m.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
      Yes, I've had this when booking C&CC sites (on the rare occasion I use them). I was in my 4m Kangoo Roo at the time and this is even shorter than a Romahome!

I think the shortest current motorhome is probably the Citroen Nemo at 3.86m.
      will have to get the tape measure out on mine .. as the base vehicle is 3.365.. i think .. and then i added a bit for the demountable ..

Comment

I have had the problem the other way! The roma awning goes on the rear,extending the vehicle length,16 ft plus 8 ft is 24 ft,a long pitch on some sites,when I arrived at one C&CC site I was called A F*****G Liar by the warden for wasting their pitches,his wife came to see and he was forced to apologise,now I have 2 listings on the C&CC computer,one without awning,16 ft, and one with 24 ft.
        Never had a problem with C.C,their pitches are bigger anyway.
        never had a problem on certified sites either,they prefer the smaller units I find.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Why not just put the awning alongside? An awning on the back is a problem anyway at times because of driving away and leaving it behind. I mean if you are against a hedge you do not want your entrance really to face the hedge as then there are no views when you sit outside in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
            Why not just put the awning alongside? An awning on the back is a problem anyway at times because of driving away and leaving it behind. I mean if you are against a hedge you do not want your entrance really to face the hedge as then there are no views when you sit outside in the evening.
            With the awning alongside you can't open the back door in the morning whilst still in bed, drinking your first coffee and not have people overlook you ..

Comment

That's where the door is, Tentpeg. The awning goes over the back of my caravan as well, as the door is at the back. Having an awning over the back door is better, especially in wet weather, when you are otherwise walking mud and stuff inside.

Even on the big caravans, the awning goes over the door, but that's usually on the side.

Comment

yes I know that is where it is meant to go.... BUT it could be used alongside as an adaption that is what I intend to do on difficult sites as if pitched parallel would not be that far to the door to do a quick dash.

Comment

awning by campervan

I was wondering if a pup tent or 4 berth tent, put alongside the van, would count as an awning or does it HAVE to be attached to the vehicle and custom made?
                  Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I think it really depends on the site nomad..... They may do so have heard stories of that... others are more sensible. I have personally found the pricer the site the more likely they are to charge for the air you breathe!

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
                      yes I know that is where it is meant to go.... BUT it could be used alongside as an adaption that is what I intend to do on difficult sites as if pitched parallel would not be that far to the door to do a quick dash.
                      It's a compromise, but on those awkward pitches I think you'd have to pitch it alongside. With some of the smaller romahomes, it's always possible to pitch sideways on a pitch and still put it on the back, as you're still not taking up the allocated width.

Nomad Sue - an awning usually costs more than a pup tent per night to pitch - the former is attached, the latter can only be used as extra storage or sleeping space.

Comment

Goodmorning Girls,
                        I have never yet had to pay extra for an awning!
                        I guess if its attatched its ok,the wardens ask about it so they can sort Pitch size,on CC sites that is not an object.No Cs/CL has ever asked me about awnings.
                        Jenny, I have never had a problem driving away from or backing onto a driveaway awning,its just practise I guess, I picked the Romaawning because it fits perfectly and is TOTALLY stormproof, and the heavier materiel gives some insulation in winter.
                        I agree with Sonya an awning gives space and privacy,I sit outside if its not actually raining.
                        You will often pay extra for a tent as well as your vehicle, although toilet/shower tents are usually not charged.
                        The rule seems to be that if it fits on your pitch you are OK.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Ian driving away etc. Was thinking of a situation where your bonnet faces a fence and the 'driveway' is behing you running parallel to the fence. Filled pitches on either side so you have to back out leaving your awning in the front of your vehicle....

Seems to me you would have to choose either to have your awning against the fence with no views... OR alongside. Getting out you probably could manage I suspect lining up though in that situation would be a challange.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X