X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, advise needed !

Hi all, I'm back!
    We've moved, dropped out, and are very happy!

I need some advise. My HiLo has been garaged from new until moving to our new home by the sea. I now have to leave the van parked at the front of the house, on an slope and at an angle that means one of the rear wheels is lower than the other rear wheel. On lifting the roof recently, I have found that water is getting under seal and soaking the canvas. I checked the seal, which had attracted some green mould, but was otherwise sound.

I have cleaned off all the mould, and put some vasaline on the rubber hoping this would inhibit mould growth and make a slightly sticky seal, stopping the water infiltration.

We have been away for four pretty wet and windy days and no wet has got past the seal whilst driving and while parked with the roof down, but always parked level.

On return to home I have put the roof up to air the canvas, and have found the vasaline has left a very sticky grey line, as if it has taken the surface off the rubber seal. I don't know if it has reacted with the rubber in some way and if I should continue to use the vasaline?

The problem might also be caused by the van being slightly twisted parked at the front of our house, the rain running back along the line of the seal instead of down the side of the van.

Any clues? Has anyone sorted this sort of problem, or treated their rubber seal with anything? I now only use the van about once a month, should I get some sort of cover?
    Last edited by Alan; 10-07-2011, 14:15.
    Alan

rubber grease

Hi,
    You could get a tube of silicone grease, apply and wipe off leaving yourself a clean lubricated surface,
    Can you not park with the front uphill someway,
    If it is not leaking when driving, parking uphill makes sense,
    The sticky grey line could be where the Vaseline has become emulsified with the rain water
    Best Of Luck
    If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Originally posted by chocoholic View Post
      Hi,

The sticky grey line could be where the Vaseline has become emulsified with the rain water
      Best Of Luck
      Yes, I think it's probably that as well. It will probably just rub off with a dry cloth and eventually go away.

My pop up caravan has this problem and I stopped it happening by dipping the front end down a bit so that the rain doesn't puddle on the roof, but run down the sides and exit along the front. You might find if you can reverse the parking angle then it will be better. Or put a plank of wood under the uneven wheel to level it up a bit?

Comment

Roof seals

I have also got a Hylo and have to park it outdoors on a slope. I too get green slime around the seals over winter. I am pretty sure this isn't mould but algae. So what? Well, I am no biologist but I think algae is less damaging as it should wash off without staining like mould does. Last year I smeared plumbers silicone grease on the seals and this left no residues. This year I used vaseline as it is cheaper, but I am not sure whether silicone might be better for protecting rubber.

Two years ago I parked the van facing uphill, and I got black streaks down the sides near the rear where rain ran off the roof. This also made the rear door heavier, and one of us must have shut and locked it not quite tightly closed. As a result rain running back down the roof got through the door seal and we had a soaking wet carpet and mould on the roof lining and other fabrics. I am still trying to remove mould spots which are very stubborn as the spores remain in the fabric and can regrow even after you think you have cleaned it all off. Since then I park the van facing downhill. Rain runs off the roof over the windscreen and I get hardly any streaking. It is also easier to close the rear door and I havn't had any more water ingress.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X