This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20 stability

I have been pondering the type of motorhome that would suit me best and think the R20 would be just fine. Being a bit of a coward, I like to get all my worrying done in advance! My concern at the moment is just how stable the r20 would be in high winds, stationary and moving. Can anyone enlighten me? Is there anything to choose between the Hi and Lo in this respect?
    Thanks!

You will certainly feel it when a big lorry passes or if there is a sudden gust of wind but I wouldn't think it is anything to worry about, this forum has been running a number of years and no one has ever reported being blown over whilst driving or whilst stationery.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Stationery Graham? I'll bet you work in an office!
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

As stable as any other flat sided van and certainly much more stable than the old rear engined VWs

Comment

how stable is the R20?

Hi. I am a new owner of a R20 Hi lo. I imagine that, being of a lesser height than the other van, it would also be more stable in high winds. However, compared to my Ford Ka, the R20 was more sensitive to the crosswinds and passing lorries on Barton Bridge than I had expected. (Barton Bridge being a big, high motorway bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal.)

Don't know if this comment is of any use to you... but I DO love my Hilo! :so happy:
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            Stationery Graham? I'll bet you work in an office!
            Jim.
            Well spotted Jim, good job I'm not still working at DT, I would have been shot for a spelling error like that.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Honestly the best plan is to go to ai nice dealer and ask them if you can test drive one. Failing that I am sure somebody would take your for a spin to see what it like. I have found it fine so far, actually a dream to drive.

Comment

Hi Pufff

We're proud recent owners of an R20 Lo (hence Ar-too -0!) and our first tryout involved us with some gusts of fairly strong crosswind on the M56.

Yes, we were aware of them, more than we would be in our Fiat Punto, but they didn't cause us much bother. Certainly no significant deviation.

When we were deciding what to buy, we also figured that the Lo would be a bit more stable in wind. It was a factor in the decision, but I wouldn't say it was major. Height limits on ferries and the like, better aerodynamics with the effect on fuel economy counted for more with us than the extra storage space you get in a Hi - which we'd just fill up with more stuff anyway!

There's a thought, would a loaded Hi be more top-heavy?

Anyway the fact we're both 5'3'' probably helped make it an option where it wouldn't be for others!

Although I have noticed that the bed is only just long enough, even for me!

We're delighted with Artoo0 and, if you want a convenient almost car-like drive, then "this IS the droid you're looking for"!

Geoff & Sue
                Geoff

Comment

R20 Hilo

Hi again. I absolutely agree with Geoff and Sue. I'm about 5 foot six and, with the little bed extension, find the bed just long enough. Not so sure it would be comfortable for someone a lot taller though, but they would probably be ok if they don't mind dangling their feet over the end!

Being able to get into any carpark and having a nice wide double bed option, were strong selling factors for me. Haven't regretted my choice once.
                  Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I am 6ft tall and have no problem with the bed providing the extension is in place. I sleep on the drivers side with the seat pushed forward.

As for stability as I have said before we dont seem to have any problems no matter how we load it, but best advice would always to put the heaviest items nearest the floor. (I dont always heed this advice as we often carry 2 folding bikes in the luton - the space over the cab in our Outlook hitop)

Comment

Is there much difference in the fuel consumption between a R20 hylo and hitop or indeed the stability in winds etc?
                      I know being 6ft 2 I would not be able to cope with the height of the rear door, especially as I often have a bad back.
                      You loose a lot of storage in the luton aswell but if you need to garage your Roma or get in multistorey carparks then a Hylo is for you.

Comment

Beds - we don't like using the extension. First (and only) time we used it Liz, who sleeps on the side where it fits, complained of feeling the cold through the two holes in the interior fibreglass where the rubber plugs fit to locate the extension. Since then we've just left the driver and passenger seats in the driving position so they act as bed-heads.

I'm 5'10" and the bed is marginally too short, sleeping at a slight angle or just letting my feet hang an inch or so over the ends wrapped in our romalay works fine for me. I'd suspect that an inch or two taller and the extension would be essential.

One tip - we found some pillow shaped cushions in Ikea that are about 2/3rd size of normal pillows. Liz cut down the pillow cases to fit and our smaller pillows mean we sleep an inch or two higher up the van than before. They also double as back cushions during the daytime, much better than full size pillows.

Stability - just returned from 2,000 miles trip across Europe where some of the large lorries drive very quickly so probably got more side-swipe than on a UK motorway. It was noticeable but not bad at all, certainly far noticeable than when we hired a Toyate Hiace van in New Zealand, I was never worried the Hiace would overturn but on a couple of very blustery days the driving did get a bit tiring.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
                          Is there much difference in the fuel consumption between a R20 hylo ...
                          Hi Peter

I have to confess we've no concrete evidence for the assumption!

It just seemed likely that another 12 inches or so of height pushing through the wind would have an effect. Bit like a car with or without a roof-box.

However, a very cursory Google search on the subject (done just now) only brought up the one reference below, which appears to debunk that!

Just don't click on the link in the second post or you'll be going round in circles!

http://********************/CHATTER/...PagePosition=3

Geoff
                          Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff,
                            seems strange they all Hylo /Hytop seem to do the same mpg Mid 40's
                            our Hytop Duo does that and it's an automatic.
                            Must be due to the engines and similar weight and design of the overall vehicles.
                            You would think that Motorhome manufacturers would have mpg tests done to give customers an idea of what to expect , especially with todays fuel prices!
                            Our old C15 Hytop (89 reg) with the 1769ccc xud diesel did 50mpg if driven carefully and that had 137,000 on the clock. Not much progress since then uh?
                            Peter

Comment

Had a thought on stability problems.
                              If I was away in our Duo and had to get home whatever the weather (severe gales etc)
                              I would fill both fresh and waste water tanks up and make sure there was nothing heavy stored high up.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X