This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R25 bed question

Well, the R25 did us proud on a month long trip around Normandy and Brittany, the only niggle, which was not major, was making up the double bed across the width of the van.

I have already removed the legs from the big supplied table which is needed to support the bed as it was very unwieldy to move around with the legs attached, and bought a smaller, lighter table. We can use this both in and out of the van, and leave it outside at night if we want to as it isn't needed for the bed.

After a few nights of having to lift the original table top and secondary piece down from the Luton, (this involved moving a load of stuff that was on top of them), I decided to store these under the seat cushions on one side of the van so that I only needed to slide them across at night. This seemed to work quite well, but makes the small locker and leisure battery locker less accessible. Not a real problem, we don't need access that often.

Towards the end of the month I went a stage further, and left the bed made up across the width of the van, which lessened the time we needed to get ready for the next leg of our travels, and the made up bed gave us a surface to put last minute things on, like the folding chairs, with heavier stuff going underneath the bed. It also helped towards keeping the galley area clear so that we could make a drink etc when we stopped.

However, I did wonder whether any of this would put undue stress on the van body when we were actually driving. Common sense tells me probably not, but my common sense has been known to be wrong, and I'd really appreciate
    comments from others! Thanks folks

Don't know the answer to the question of extra strain, Von, but now that Jenna has discovered the luxury of travelling on the bed she's not going to be impressed if you now put it away when you're driving! Can't upset the 'Princess' especially as her 'Prince' travels on his owner's bed. She'll be wanting to join you at night soon! Fortunately my bed is far too small for the two of us- so Bracken has to sleep on the floor- in a very comfortable bed, I might add!

Comment

R25 bed

HI VON UK
      We did the same with the table and slid it under the cushions ,we found sleeping across the van a bit tite and the wife found it difficult to get out off bed as with sleeping length ways with the dauble bed we still found it difficult to swing around to get out. So i made some exstensions out of plywood for the single beds to make them wider we found them too narrow .This layout makes getting out off bed a lot easier and gives you more room to get dressed because you have the gap between the beds plus the space down by the toilet. I will take some photos and send it in

BRIAN
      Last edited by Mr T; 21-07-2011, 10:23.

Comment

Thanks Mr T I'd be really interested to see what you've done. The reason we are sleeping across the width of the van is because the dog's crate goes onto the front seats when their backs are lowered, we then pull the curtains across and the dog gets a bedroom all to herself - she has more room than us! Fortunately we're both under 5'5. However, now she's growing out of puppyhood and not chewing everything in sight, we might be able to review our sleeping arrangements, and your idea sounds really good. Really appreciate your comments

Comment

R25 bed exstensions

BED 2.jpg

BED 1.jpg

BED 3.jpg

BED 4.jpg

BED 5.jpgHI I have just made up the beds with van sitting in the driveway so it looks better when we are out We take the fold up seats out of the gap at night and fill it wih pillows its realy very comfortable If we take out the grandchrildren we remove the exstensions , just lift it out
          Last edited by Mr T; 21-07-2011, 18:54.

Comment

R25 bed exstension part 2

Hi rest of the pictures
            Attached Files

Comment

like it !Very good idea there Pipes
              Thought you may have used some 22mm with stand offs elbows and tee's,
              Suprising what you can do to make things better with a little thought:so happy:

Regards
              Pete
              If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

Although being a little bit taller than Von, we also sleep across the van in the R25 with a few inches to spare. Got the bed making/unmaking off to a fine art using Duvalays, although not sure about when we are old and decrepit (not that far away!) the process may not appeal.

Mr T
                We love eating in the van on the collapsible table, with the backrest cushions removed. How do you eat your meals in your set-up?

Tony Anchorman
                Last edited by anchorman; 23-07-2011, 10:41.

Comment

HI We are very lazy when it comes to eating , we use a tray cannot be bothered to put the beds away every day

BRIAN
                  Last edited by Mr T; 23-07-2011, 17:12.

Comment

bed extensions

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
                    HI VON UK
                    We did the same with the table and slid it under the cushions ,we found sleeping across the van a bit tite and the wife found it difficult to get out off bed as with sleeping length ways with the dauble bed we still found it difficult to swing around to get out. So i made some exstensions out of plywood for the single beds to make them wider we found them too narrow .This layout makes getting out off bed a lot easier and gives you more room to get dressed because you have the gap between the beds plus the space down by the toilet. I will take some photos and send it in

BRIAN
                    Brilliant, Mr T. Now then, some of us are not that handy, though am willing to consider going on a course! Meanwhile, do you take orders?? Could be a nice sideline for you and a gift to those of us who are kack-handed.
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

HI NOMAD SUE 2011
                      Glad you like the bed exstensions, they slide back in if needed ,but we leave them out.
                      Sorry lessons are not on the cards ,but with a jig saw they are quite easy to
                      make

BRIAN

Comment

bed extensions

Originally posted by Mr T View Post
                        HI NOMAD SUE 2011
                        Glad you like the bed exstensions, they slide back in if needed ,but we leave them out.
                        Sorry lessons are not on the cards ,but with a jig saw they are quite easy to
                        make

BRIAN
                        Ha ha . Me with a jig saw?! The last time I touched a saw was in 1967 (woodwork classes for the girls!) Well, I do know what a dove tail joint SHOULD look like, and how to GLUE pieces of wood together. Now that I am no longer working, perhaps I should try to acquire the skills that my (carpenter) uncle just took for granted. This could be fun!!
                        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X