Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome help needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Romahome help needed

    I went to see a lovely couple who are selling wha they think is a 2004 Romahome which they bought in good faith from a dealer. As a newbie could you help me dat it plse. It was registered in May 2004 and the receipt shows it as a 2004 c15 champ 600D. The serial number on the rear door hinge is 489240. It appears to be a pod. The hob is hi gear. It has no fridge. The pod appears to sit on the vehicle and I about a foot from the bottom of the sill. The plate under the bonnet says weights are 2165 and then 1. 740 and 2. 830. I thanks it's been taken off another vehicle and put on a 2002 body. Can anyone help me please to roughly date the pod/vehicle. Mechanically underneath it looks pretty solid and the pod seems nicely fited with no gaps. I am hoping someone will surprise me they did make them in 2004. Please help I would love to buy it but I dont want to buy something that could provide issues if I was involved in a serious incident and the vehicle was examined.

    #2
    The last C15 Romahomes were built by the factory in 2002 and they were built on 800kg vans as Citroen had stopped producing 765kg chassis cabs by this stage.
    Your description of the camper part tells me that it is an early C15 body transferred onto a later vehicle.
    Let your head take charge not your heart. This type of transfer was never sanctioned by Romahome, as too how you would insure it, who knows? It is not a genuine Romahome.
    Some transfers were done well, others not so well and you cannot see what is hidden but certainly the rear axle of the van will be overloaded when you get all your gear in
    If you are seriously interested then I would suggest an engineer's report but if it were me Hard as it is I would walk away and look for a genuine Romahome.

    There is a thread on this site from Brian Bailey outlining the whole situation.

    Peter

    Comment


      #3
      Brian Bailey was the MD of Romahome, read this thread about body swaps.

      https://community.smallmotorhome.co....ome-body-swaps
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

      Comment


        #4
        Just wanted to say hello and welcome Housefitter340

        It might not be the news you wanted but better safe than sorry.
        ​​​​Hopefully there is a van out there just waiting for you to spot it.
        ______________
        Guardian of the Ducks
        2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Quack!

        Comment


          #5
          Nope, please don't buy it. It has had it's body transfered from one vehicle to another. All the experts say it is a bad thing to do. We would love to have you on this forum in a genuine original C15 Romahome, not a mish mash of C15/Romahome bits.

          Please take head of the warnings and have a look on eBay to get an idea of what is around.

          Panda
          These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

          Comment


            #6
            I thought the idea of a pod was that you COULD remove it from one vehicle and mount it on a different one, as kernowjon has, if I remember rightly, told us in the past. The theory being that if your base vehicle suffers a terminal breakdown or serious rust issues you can transfer the pod onto another vehicle of, hopefully a more reliable one. What part of this procedure am I misunderstanding? And why would I want to know, being a mere caravanner? I have, as some may remember, been pondering the idea of a move to camper/microcampering. (Except I was put off somewhat the other day by reading that the minimum road tax for a camper van was £250 pa. Double what I pay at the moment for my little Skoda!)

            By the way, welcome to the forum Housefitter340 ! I'm sure we will both learn the answer to these queries, and many more besides!
            Cynthia.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
              I thought the idea of a pod was that you COULD remove it from one vehicle and mount it on a different one, as kernowjon has, if I remember rightly, told us in the past. The theory being that if your base vehicle suffers a terminal breakdown or serious rust issues you can transfer the pod onto another vehicle of, hopefully a more reliable one. What part of this procedure am I misunderstanding? And why would I want to know, being a mere caravanner? I have, as some may remember, been pondering the idea of a move to camper/microcampering. (Except I was put off somewhat the other day by reading that the minimum road tax for a camper van was £250 pa. Double what I pay at the moment for my little Skoda!)

              By the way, welcome to the forum Housefitter340 ! I'm sure we will both learn the answer to these queries, and many more besides!
              Cynthia.
              Kernowjon has a demountable with a pod on a truck which can be demounted and which can be transferred to another base truck, the C15 is a van which is built by Romahome as a self contained unit and some people cut off the pod and put it on another van this is not good practice unless it is really done professionally.

              Thinking about it perhaps the original poster is talking about a demountable Housefitter340 can you clarify is it a C15 which you have seen or a demountable pod on a truck?
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                I thought the idea of a pod was that you COULD remove it from one vehicle and mount it on a different one, as kernowjon has, if I remember rightly, told us in the past. The theory being that if your base vehicle suffers a terminal breakdown or serious rust issues you can transfer the pod onto another vehicle of, hopefully a more reliable one. What part of this procedure am I misunderstanding? And why would I want to know, being a mere caravanner? I have, as some may remember, been pondering the idea of a move to camper/microcampering. (Except I was put off somewhat the other day by reading that the minimum road tax for a camper van was £250 pa. Double what I pay at the moment for my little Skoda!)

                By the way, welcome to the forum Housefitter340 ! I'm sure we will both learn the answer to these queries, and many more besides!
                Cynthia.
                That's the de-mountable pod Cynthia, specially designed to be removed, this is just a normal Romahome back that sounds like it has been cut off one vehicle and fixed to a new one.
                ______________
                Guardian of the Ducks
                2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Quack!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Pauline View Post

                  That's the de-mountable pod Cynthia, specially designed to be removed, this is just a normal Romahome back that sounds like it has been cut off one vehicle and fixed to a new one.
                  Thanks Graham and Pauline . So it sounds a little as though the C15 Romahomes were never meant to be demountable, and that trying to do so is not recommended?
                  So how do gullible, uninformed folk like me tell the difference? Looking at the information our OP has provided it might be quite easy for the inexperienced camper buyer to get caught out. I'm not sure I would buy a C15 as they're all now getting on in years. I have been looking more at the likes of the Suzuki Carry vans with pods, or the Chinese ones, DSFKs?

                  Cynthia

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

                    So how do gullible, uninformed folk like me tell the difference?
                    It's very hard and that is why Peter, Brian and others try to get the information out there in the hope folks find there way here and read it.
                    ______________
                    Guardian of the Ducks
                    2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Quack!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7891560356404/
                      C15

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hi and welcome to the forum, Housefitter340!
                        I hope you find the answers here that you are looking for.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          As the base vehicle is 2004, it definitely has been moved from an older C15 to a newer one. The very very last of the C15's used were 2002 and NOTHING after that is genuine Romahome built.

                          Panda
                          These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

                          Comment


                            #14
                            And all those that appear on vehicles that are newer than 2002 have been put on 600kg vans because that is all that was built in a Citroen factory in Poland. They must have absolutely no payload at all. What happens when they are pulled in when DVSA are doing roadside checks and weighing vehicles?

                            Peter

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                              And all those that appear on vehicles that are newer than 2002 have been put on 600kg vans because that is all that was built in a Citroen factory in Poland. They must have absolutely no payload at all. What happens when they are pulled in when DVSA are doing roadside checks and weighing vehicles?

                              Peter
                              I guess then that there is no legal requirements to put the payload on the vehicle or log book?
                              ______________
                              Guardian of the Ducks
                              2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Quack!

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X