As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

roof cover.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roof cover.

I'm having problems with water getting under the rubber seal on the roof of my HYLO. Does anyone know if you can get a cover that just covers the roof. I don't use the van much, so it's parked on our sloping drive most of the time at the mercy of our great British summer.

Alan.
    Alan

roofcover

Originally posted by Alan View Post
    I'm having problems with water getting under the rubber seal on the roof of my HYLO. Does anyone know if you can get a cover that just covers the roof. I don't use the van much, so it's parked on our sloping drive most of the time at the mercy of our great British summer.

Alan.
    We were on a camp site in Devon last year and spoke to a couple who had a roof only cover to keep their van watertight stored in winter.
    They said a caravan cover firm had made it them ,sorry don't know name
    Think most firms doing full caravan covers would do the same thing .

Comment

Hi there - I think that a tarp might do the trick, or one of these, but placed over the top!

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=c....c0.m270.l1313

does it leak when you are away in it? You might need to replace the seals.

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys.
        We went to Mersea Island for three nights and four days of heavy rain and gale force winds and no rain got in as far as I could tell. It mostly rained when we were travelling around and I can't remember seeing any signs of damp canvas when I put the roof up back at camp. Where we now live the van is always going to be parked on a slope, and I think that is where the problem lies. The rubber seal seem to be in perfect condition.
        Alan

Comment

It could well be that where you have it parked it's slightly twisted and that is letting in the water. I know it sounds daft, but just try parking it the other way around, reverse it in if necessary - you never know it just might work!

Another thing I though of was to check that the wheels are level with each other, whether sloping or not. As in use a leveller on one wheel if the roof seems to dip slightly in that direction.

Which led to my third idea, which is to use levellers (or even a couple of big thick planks, or ramps) to get the van level on the drive - or at least not so sloping as it would be without them.

Although it might just be easier to get a cover! I'd worry about it being permanently on the twist in case it 'sets in' and warps the roof.

Comment

You can get custom made roof covers, at a cost!!

http://www.motorhomecampercovers.co....homecovers.htm
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Thanks glenw, that looks interesting, I've been searching for something like that online, but to no avail.
              Alan

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X