This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 or Demountable?

I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time now, and have learned so much from all you experienced Romahomers, but now I need some advice.

I have a (very) limited budget to spend on a motorhome. It will be used for travelling to and staying at dog shows, both in the UK and Europe. Just me and several small dogs - the Romahome is ideal, not just cost-wise, but because I can secure travelling crates easily. (Some of the posher motorhomes have surprisingly little room inside!)

My budget is around £4000. Would I be better going for a C15 base vehicle or a demountable on a Suzuki/Daihatsu pick-up? And will the latter fit on a more modern Piaggio if I come into money? I've read some pretty scary things on this forum about C15s that aren't what they seem - I'm no mechanic and wouldn't recognise a van that had been cobbled together from separate parts

For the price I would appear to be able to buy a newer demountable - but is the C15 more reliable, even if older? I've had Citroens in the past and been very happy with them.

Any help gratefully received

Sheila

its the other way round Sheila,the demountables are older,much.the C15 is a good van as long as you stay out of low emmision zones,`cos it has an older style engine.
    £4000 will possibly buy you a 10 year old Berlingo! Look at the prices on Ants website.
    If you come into money you can always trade up with a Romahome dealer like Ant,or Freeborn.

Hope this helps
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I had a demountable but wished I had saved up for the C15. Not speaking for all demountables, mine was a very old D reg, it was hard to drive for long periods of time as you can't adjust the seats and are sitting in a very small cab. I also think there's a bit more room in the C15's - a longer platform to stand in upright at the door end and maybe more stable on the road (and a bit faster) as not quite so high up in the wind from the lorries. JMHO.

Comment

Hi Sheila,
        welcome to the forum.
        I thought I would give you the benifit of what I know until more learned advice is forthcoming.
        We had a 89 reg C15 hytop for 4 years and you could drive 100's of miles in reasonable comfort, they are slightly noisy at motorway speeds but very economical 50mpg if you keep about 60 ish. Mechanically they are generally reliable if serviced. The main thing to look out for (as on other older motorhomes ) is rust.
        Sills, floor bulkhead (which is area under windscreen inside engine bay) inner wings near headlights. Cosmetic rust by this I mean not structural is usually doors, bonnet and outer wings . These are easy to change or get changed and make a big difference to smartening up an otherwise sorry looking C15 .
        We spent about £400 over the 4 years on welding so aslong as the rust isn't to obvious and hasn't been hidden by filling and having it undersealed/ resprayed ,it should keep going for years at reasonable costs.
        It is fairly easy to spot a C15 that has had a old roma back put on.
        Firstly if C15 is newer than 2002 it must have had an old back put on.
        This should be stated when adverised so that you know what you are buying.
        Try to find out which company did it as some and Broadlands in Norfolk come to mind have a good reputation even with Romahome. Although they (Romahome) don't as such approve of C15's being rebacked.
        The suspension needs to be from a 765kg C15 to cope with the weight.
        On the whole its probably better to get a proper C15 Romahome as this has been converted properly by one of the most respected companies in the buisness.
        To drive long distances and get good economy the C15 wins hands down on a demountable I think.
        There are advantages to demountables though.
        Firstly alot have newer pickups fitted.
        Probably means more years before rust becomes a problem and might have low milage on clock so mechanicals should last longer before needing replacement.
        Even the new 1.3 efi engine only gives high 30's mpg as it is dragging alot of weight around.
        The diesel engine is best avoided as it has a bad reputation for reliability and is very underpowered.
        The cabs are very compact on most of the pickups but that depends on your body size. I'm 6ft 2 and 18 stones so would be very uncomfortable on long journeys for me .
        Alot to think about and alot more could be said about the pro's and con's .
        I'm sure more people will give you there opinions shortly.
        Good luck with the search and only you can decide what is right for you ,so research and try out as many as possible before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          its the other way round Sheila,the demountables are older,much.the C15 is a good van as long as you stay out of low emmision zones,`cos it has an older style engine.
          £4000 will possibly buy you a 10 year old Berlingo! Look at the prices on Ants website.
          If you come into money you can always trade up with a Romahome dealer like Ant,or Freeborn.

Hope this helps
          Ian
          Hi Ian,
          where have you seen a Berlingo Romahome for £4000 let me know please I would love to get another one .

Comment

Wow Guys!!!

Many, many thanks for your prompt replies - especially Peter for all that information.

Lots to think about, and I'll doubtless be back with more questions - I want to buy something for next March/April, so have time to look around and hopefully get exactly what I want.

Sheila

Comment

sheila, loads of Romahomes and Berlingos and others are much much cheaper if you wait until the end of the season. The prices are higher in the spring as everyone sees a bit of sun and wants to get out there, which a lot of sellers are aware of! As the Autumn approaches, the prices go down quite a lot. And there are a number who don't want them for any more than one season and don't want them sitting on their drives or paying out for winter storage, so that's when you get the bargains! The end of summer and winter is the right time to buy - and sell in the spring!

Comment

Originally posted by cesky2000 View Post
                Wow Guys!!!

Many, many thanks for your prompt replies - especially Peter for all that information.

Lots to think about, and I'll doubtless be back with more questions - I want to buy something for next March/April, so have time to look around and hopefully get exactly what I want.

Sheila
                No problem Sheila,
                don't forget to try as many as you can before buying.
                If youbuy from a dealer pick a cold wet miserable day and don't look to keen and you should get a good discount.

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
                  If you buy from a dealer pick a cold wet miserable day and don't look to keen and you should get a good discount.
                  LOL!!!

Best advice of the day

Comment

We love our demountable, but it is a bit on the small size and when the bed is made up only the kitchen end is free to stand in.

But I need a van for work and being demountable we switch it for a luton body when its not used as a camper.

This suits us as we only use the camper pod about once a month and dont have to pay out two lots of tax and insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                      We love our demountable, but it is a bit on the small size and when the bed is made up only the kitchen end is free to stand in.

But I need a van for work and being demountable we switch it for a luton body when its not used as a camper.

This suits us as we only use the camper pod about once a month and dont have to pay out two lots of tax and insurance.
                      Just wondered if the new Suzuki carry such as yours is a slightly bigger cab than say a Rascal /hijet. It seemed to me it was when we had a short test in one a few years ago.
                      Liked the idea of a bonnet in front for safety and to get at water,brake fluid rarther than having to lift seats .

Comment

Hi Peter

We had a rascal van about ten year ago and what a great little versatile van it was! You wouldn’t believe what we fitted in it or how much we towed behind it (it must have been illegal and well overweight) for a little 998cc engine We also had a Bambi a year ago and that was great.

The new Suzuki carry with the 1.3 engine is like a rocket in comparison and stops on sixpence. How engines and brakes (especially brakes) have improved over time.

But you are right on the pick-up the cab is a bit on the small side, but there seems to be more leg room and head room than in the rascal, but unlike the rascal that is also built on a pick-up, the seats are fixed to the bulkhead and cannot be adjusted (whereas in the bambi the bulkhead is removed)

I had a transit untill i got the carry so the size is even more noticeable.

Comment

SORRY, i meant to say the BAMBI is built on a pick up base !

Comment

[QUOTE=Donk's Dad;23636]Hi Peter

We had a rascal van about ten year ago and what a great little versatile van it was! You wouldn’t believe what we fitted in it or how much we towed behind it (it must have been illegal and well overweight) for a little 998cc engine We also had a Bambi a year ago and that was great.

The new Suzuki carry with the 1.3 engine is like a rocket in comparison and stops on sixpence. How engines and brakes (especially brakes) have improved over time.

But you are right on the pick-up the cab is a bit on the small side, but there seems to be more leg room and head room than in the rascal, but unlike the rascal that is also built on a pick-up, the seats are fixed to the bulkhead and cannot be adjusted (whereas in the bambi the bulkhead is removed)

I had a transit untill i got the carry so the size is even more noticeable

Know what you mean about carrying too much.
                            We have a farm and years ago we had a Simca 1100 about the size of a Punto, One day we went to the market towing a 10cwt trailer incase we bought something. There was a machinery sale on and we bought a small potatoe digger it would't fit in the trailer so we bought a 16ft car transporter trailer , put the 10cwt trailer on and the digger and drove very carefully down the back roads home./QUOTE]

Comment

I have fitted a tow bar on the Carry so i surpose this will get used and abused as well.

Comment