Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roof configuration for Dimension

Hello to all,

I'm about to become the owner of a 2006 Dimension (not an R30) and am discussing the fitting a solar panel with the dealer. I would like to have the largest rigid panel with the highest power output possible however the flat roof space available for fitting is severely restricted by the two Heki rooflights.

I was hoping that It would be possible to mount a Phaesun Sun Peak SPR100_small transversely across the rear of the van. It measures 1302mm long by 416mm wide and I was hoping that it could be fitted with fixings brackets turned under the panel at either side rather than outwards. Alternatively, perhaps the brackets could be mounted on the long sides i.e. front and back. These are the dimensions for the bare panel not including the fitting brackets. If this isn't possible a smaller alternative panel (or panels) will have to be found that'll fit in the limited space.

My problem is that as I haven't yet taken delivery of the van, I'm unable to nip out and measure the roof layout.

Can any Dimension owners out there help me by filling in the dimensioning blanks?

Romahome roof layout_small.jpg

osyangus Welcome, sorry, but I cannot help with the missing sizes.

However, I have fitted a solar panel to my caravan by bonding homemade aluminium brackets to the roof, with the brackets turned under the panel, giving the smallest footprint possible.

Three years later, they are still there !

Comment

Originally posted by John miller View Post
      osyangus Welcome, sorry, but I cannot help with the missing sizes.

However, I have fitted a solar panel to my caravan by bonding homemade aluminium brackets to the roof, with the brackets turned under the panel, giving the smallest footprint possible.

Three years later, they are still there !
      That is how I fitted my panel when I had a rigid panel - we now have a flexible panel stuck on the roof solely using Geocell The Works PU - strips of sealant / adhesive following the longitudinal lines between the individual cells the lateral lines (except the front one) are unsealed this allows heat expansion to escape from the rear.
      You could consider fitting 2 smaller panels wired in parallel. Personally I would not go back to rigid by choice - they are heavier than flexible - and require fixing brackets.
      Jon

Comment

Thanks John and kernowjon for your responses. I'm reassured John, that you've fitted a panel with the brackets turned under and all is well - it seems to me to be a no brainer as it will (obviously) reduce the footprint.

The dealer has suggested supplying and fitting two x 40w panels measuring 660 x 457 x 57mm however they haven't specified how they will be arranged. If they're to be fitted either side of the rear rooflight, with the long dimension fore and aft, I calculate that 2 x 456mm + say 400mm for the width of the rear Heki = 1302mm presumably with brackets front and back i.e on the short side. Given that 1302mm is the width of my chosen panel I don't understand why they claim it would be too wide unless there is not enough flat area to the rear of the van to mount it transveresly - hence the reason for my request for dimension info.

I have realised since posting that I haven't asked for the dimension (F) between the two Heki's. Maybe that's where they intend mounting my panel? Before I get back in touch with them I just want to be sure of my dimensioning facts so we can have a constructive conversation.

I'd be really grateful if someone out there could break out the step ladder, tape rule, pencil and paper and post the sizes. It might even be a useful bit of info for future solar panel installers?

Osy.

Comment

I've just realised that the rear Heki is offset so I thought I better update the drawing to reflect this.

Romahome roof layout.jpg
          There's more flat space to the rear offside of the van than I had first thought but I still can't make the the numbers stack up.

Osy.

Comment

Can't help with the dimensions but when I fitted my flexi panel taking measurements off the curved roof was not easy. The only certain way of ensuring a fit was to make up a card template.
            Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

John has just measured our Dimension and 'f' measurement is 36cms. Hope this is of some help.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                John has just measured our Dimension and 'f' measurement is 36cms. Hope this is of some help.
                Well done John and Wendy whom I'm sure ably assisted

Comment

Thanks Wendy for holding the ladder and John for risking life and limb and doing the thing with the measuring stick. 36cm tells me that there's no room to mount a panel across the van between the two Heki's.

So, do I conclude that the best available space is either the area to the rear offside quarter between the front Heki and the rear curve of the roof with the rear Heki on the left and the offside curve of the roof on the right or perhaps, as I originally thought, across the van between the rear Heki and the back curve of the roof?

Jondxxx, I realise you fitted a flexible rather than a rigid panel but where did you locate it? Was it either of the above two options?

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Comment

osyangus My van is an Outlook Duo. I ws just making a point about the difficulty of getting accurate measurements.
                    Sesquipedalianism:-The overusage of long words.

Comment

Hi All,

Finally plucked up courage to phone the dealer for an update. They tell me that the available flat space at the rear is 1100 x 500mm across the van and 1200 x 500mm at the offside rear quarter. I've accepted their suggestion of two 40w panels, 660 x 456mm from Vision Plus, one mounted to the rear of the rear Heki with the long side parallel to the rear and the other effectively between the front Heki and the rear of the van with it's long side parallel to the offside of the van. I think my difficulty in arriving at this configuration was that I didn't know how much width (i.e. the 500mm dimensions) I had to play with. Anyway, all sorted now.

It's a bit of a clunky solution visually, but unless you're over 8ft tall you'll be none the wiser.

Thanks for everyone's contributions and I hope this post might be helpful to others that are considering fitting rigid solar panels to a Dimension.

Osy.

Comment