X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting blown all over the motorway

dear all,

just thought i would share an idea with you.

After discovering how 'blowey' my Romahome is, have they ever overturned ? i found a dramatic improvement by weighing it down with :

1) always keeping a full tank of petrol 2) placing 2 portable leisure batteries in the pit between the fridge and the cooker.

any thoughts, ideas or contributions please ?

Originally posted by RomaDenizen View Post
    dear all,

just thought i would share an idea with you.

After discovering how 'blowey' my Romahome is, have they ever overturned ? i found a dramatic improvement by weighing it down with :

1) always keeping a full tank of petrol 2) placing 2 portable leisure batteries in the pit between the fridge and the cooker.

any thoughts, ideas or contributions please ?
    you dont say what sort of romahome you have but judging by the post i would presume a honda or suzuki demountable , the weight thing will certainly help keep your roma on the streight and narrow but i am a bit unsure about the batteries in the well ,if the worst happens you have just invented the 10 kg electric missile ,and sods law will guide them towards your head at great speed ,better option is water containers under the beds and other things that you can secure ,the water is also good for making TEA when you get there with your nerv's shot.
    the down side of extra weight is the petrol you burn lugging it around , better to just slow down a bit and take more side roads (they are also more scenic )and you see more cake shops on the way ,(can you see a theme forming here
    MOS

Comment

in answer to your question, yes - its demountable onto a 1.3 diahatsu hijet. Dont you just hate it when a juggernaut flies past you very quickly and you have to fight the steering wheel to stay on the road ?

Comment

We, too, have a demountable ... on a Suzuki ... and we know all about rocking, rolling and being sucked in by passing juggernauts! Scary, isn't it? Our worst trip was coming back to Stockport on the M62 and the wind whipped up something shocking. I think I slowed down to about 25 mph at one point! Other drivers were none too pleased but I really didn't care!
        I would also like to know whether one has toppled over in the wind. Anyone?

Comment

In all our years of running this forum we have never heard of any Romahomes being blown over but there is always a first time I suppose.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks a lot, Graham, that's made me feel a lot better!!

Comment

My demountable felt so unstable that I only ever went on a motorway once in it, for just one junction. I was overtaken by a lorry doing over 60mph (as a lot do) and went into a snake - the only way to stop it was by braking. It also happened on the dual carriageways as well, although it's easier to slow down/brake on duals without so much risk of being rear-ended and causing a major pile-up! So I just stuck to A and B roads after that... and even went to the Outer Hebrides without a motorway to be seen (well I could see it, but I wasn't on it - that was the A6 where Shap is!) It took me three overnight stops to get there, but I wasn't in a hurry and saw sights/villages etc. you never get to see on a motorway.

It was a very old D reg, and also really slowed down on hills, long slow hills slowed me down to around 15-20mph, which is madness on a motorway unless you are a tractor with a little light on top!!!!

I used to think to myself 'Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down' when lorries went past, I never actually turned over, but felt as though I was going to a few times.

I found it was most stable when overladen! All the heavy things went into the middle aisle between front and back axle/wheels and that kept it steady. If you keep the weight down low and in the middle, you'll find it quite stable. Use the luton bit at the front for lightweight stuff, like sleeping bags and pillows and any lightweight packet foodstuffs.

A caution against using water to balance - it slops from side to side and can actually add to the unstable feeling of the vehicle.

You do get used to the wobbles after a while though, and learn to anticipate those heavy fast lorries!

Comment

How about STABALISERS or an OUTRIGGER

Comment

or on a seriouse note make sure the tyre presures are rite
                  all the sooty vans i have known turn over have had spongy tyres
                  3 in total (non with campers on the back )all vans and all clipped a curb or an island
                  MOS

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    ..... I think I slowed down to about 25 mph at one point! Other drivers were none too pleased but I really didn't care!
                    I would also like to know whether one has toppled over in the wind. Anyone?
                    The problem with going too slow on motorways is that other drivers don't think you are going that slowly until they are nearly on top of you, then have to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident with your rear! If it's so windy you need to go at less than 40mph, use the A roads instead, it's much safer! I bought myself a sat nav (TomTom Go) which has an option to 'Avoid Motorways' but still use the fastest route, (the A roads) and it works very well (except in Wales - but that's another story! LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                      The problem with going too slow on motorways is that other drivers don't think you are going that slowly until they are nearly on top of you, then have to brake hard or swerve to avoid an accident with your rear! If it's so windy you need to go at less than 40mph, use the A roads instead, it's much safer! I bought myself a sat nav (TomTom Go) which has an option to 'Avoid Motorways' but still use the fastest route, (the A roads) and it works very well (except in Wales - but that's another story! LOL)
                      It was fine until we got to the summit and we had been tootling along at a fair old speed up to then. The wind just whipped up as we reached the top and it was really scary. By that time it was too late to go off onto an A road, otherwise we would have. It will have to be flat calm before I go back on the M62!!
                      We have found the van to be a lot more stable since the mechanic fitted us with commercial tyres and we always make sure they are at the right pressure. We keep to the inside lane as much as we can and watch out for big vehicles coming top, so we can be ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                        It was fine until we got to the summit and we had been tootling along at a fair old speed up to then. The wind just whipped up as we reached the top and it was really scary. By that time it was too late to go off onto an A road, otherwise we would have. It will have to be flat calm before I go back on the M62!!
                        We have found the van to be a lot more stable since the mechanic fitted us with commercial tyres and we always make sure they are at the right pressure. We keep to the inside lane as much as we can and watch out for big vehicles coming top, so we can be ready!
                        I noticed a big difference when I had new commercial tyres put on mine as well!

Picture this: The M62 just going over the moors, typical horrible weather, misty and windy.. I was bringing my (new to me) old Bedford Rascal demountable Romahome over from Leeds (well a mate was driving, I didn't dare!) and there was no weight in it whatsoever, so really wobbly. We broke down just right by an exit due to overheating, right on top of Saddleworth Moors, pushed it off the slip road, and after sorting that out, had to go through all the little towns into Manchester, where we broke down again (electical probs this time!)... Fixed that, all the while slapping my forehead in time-honoured "WHAT have I gone and DONE, buying this THING???" and so on to home sweet home - where I took it to the nearest garage! LOL!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            ... Fixed that, all the while slapping my forehead in time-honoured "WHAT have I gone and DONE, buying this THING???" and so on to home sweet home - where I took it to the nearest garage! LOL!!

I know that feeling of the sore forehead from all that slapping ...
                            think my garage lock the doors when they see me coming now ..

But I find keep the awning and poles in the space between the seats .. make sure the tyre pressures are right .. and keep the speed down .. (or slow up)

I also avoid motorways like the plague .. and enjoy all that countryside you miss when speeding along in a car on a motorway ..
                            I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                            http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for all the good advice.
                              what is the difference between 'commercial tyres' and normal tyres ? A romahome is pretty heavy so, what tyre pressure is correct ?

i also normally park in a place which is the corner of two walls (often with another small van parallel to my romahome), if there ever is gale force winds i reckon its the safest place.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X