This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registration Certificate

We've just got our V5C from DVLA for our 2008 R20 Hilo. Bought it 2nd hand from Avon Motor caravans on 1st July.
    It says there are only 2 seats, including driver, but Romahome provide 2 seatbelts in the back and so I assume these are "designated passenger seats".
    Should the V5C say 4 seats? I can see there could be a problem if I had a claim on insurance whilst carrying back seat passengers. Knowing insurance companies they would look for any excuse not to pay out!
    Also it says the Body type is Car Derived Van and I reckon it should be Motor Caravan but I can't see that there would be any gain in changing it, except for speed limits, but in practice if I keep to posted speed limits I won't be stopped or photo'ed.
    Anybody got more thoughts on this?
    I am aware that there is another thread on a similar subject and have read it, but it got so complicated that I threw my teddy out of the cot!
    p.s. What the 'ecks a "tag"? I can add 5 of 'em if I want!
    :jump for joy:Jimish

Your reg document should state that you have 4 driving seats, not only for accuracy, but also for insurance purposes etc. We had the same problem with our R25, which was also classified as a car derived van. You should be able to solve the 4 seat problem by taking photos of your van to show the passenger seats and their seat belts, if possible with a glimpse of the cab seats too. Dvla will also need to see that it is your van, so you also need to get the number plate on the photo - we did this by taking several photos, from the rear of the van with the door open so that you could see the back of the rear passenger seats and a bit of the seat belts. You then fill in the change of details bit on the VC 5, and if possible, take it to your local dvla office with the photos. It is likely they can approve the changes, and it is just a straightforward matter of waiting for the new doc to be posted to you.

The change of body type is more complicated as it can only be done if the vehicle was wrongly registered at first registration, which it will have been in your case. You will need more photos showing the beds made up, the cooking area, and photos of the vehicle showing what it looks like from front, rear and side, again showing the number plate where possible.
    You also need a copy of the certificate of conversion from Romahome, you will get this by contacting them directly, with the build and chassis number of your vehicle. A brochure from Romahome about your particular vehicle will also help - I printed ours from the website. Then it's the same procedure as before - fill in the change of detail bit on the VC5 and take everything down to your local dvla office, who will send it off to Swansea on your behalf. You will probably then end up in a rather long dialogue with Swansea, who might need more details. Take the name of anyone you talk to on the phone and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you you need to contact Citroen to confirm the body type, they can only confirm the Berlingo chassis. It is confirmation of the conversion that is required.

Good luck, and persevere, once we were in direct contact with someone who knew what they were talking about, DVLA couldn't have been more helpful!

Comment

Thanks Vonuk, It's good to hear from someone who has done all this. I'll have a go at it and let you know how I get on. Did the reclassification to Motor Caravan result in cheaper road tax, or am I hoping for too much?
      I was talking to another Ciroen owner the other day, he has a car with the exact same engine as mine and he only pays £50 road tax!!!
      :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

You are welcome road tax is £210 for the R25, so it will probably be much the same for the r20 - I think our R20 might have been £200, but I'm not sure. Wish it was £50!!
        Last edited by VonUK; 31-07-2011, 17:55.

Comment

Just looked and I have the same problem.. Why is this not sorted at first registration for goodness sake.

Comment

It's a mess isn't it! I think it is because currently there is no definitive class for a motorhome, and it needs a visit to the local dvla office along with all the proof in order for the vehicle to be classified as a motor caravan. It is quite a long process, which has to be done separately for each vehicle - dealers just don't have the time to do this, and are put into a very difficult position by the dvla's lack of classification, particularly when eager buyers want their vehicles, and don't want to wait months for the dvla to sort it out.

One of the threads recently seemed to indicate that things are changing, which I gather is good news for those of us with coachbuilt vehicles, less helpful for those whose vehicles are not.

Comment

surely if you go to buy motor caravan get the dealer to do it or walk awaythey soon move if they thought that they would lose sales and do it before the camper goes on sale

Comment

It took us 2 months to sort out our registration document, and that was expedited because the DVLA knew we were going to France and needed the VC5 to take with us. The time the process takes isn't in the dealers hands, so I doubt that the customer walking away would influence them, unless they are less than honest, agree to do it, but don't tell you until after the sale is agreed about the extra months you need to wait for your vehicle.

I'm not sure, but I think the first registration is tied in with the first tax, as on a new vehicle, the dealer pays the first year of tax, which is more expensive than subsequent years. If this is the case, a dealer would not want to register and tax the vehicle until near the point of sale, if the sale drops through they are left with a vehicle with an earlier reg number than current, and would have to discount it to sell.

It is a mess, and certainly not transparent that's for sure. The points I am making are really from my own thinking and may be totally wrong, if they are I hope someone will come along and put me on the right track!

Comment

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
                  dealers just don't have the time to do this, and are put into a very difficult position by the dvla's lack of classification
                  It was the same when we bought our VW Leisure Drive conversion. Our vehicle did in fact start off life as a van - the motorhome conversion was done when the van was 3 years old. (This meant the purchase price was within our budget!).

I think it has become standard practice for owners rather than dealers to deal with any necessary changes to the V5C

Leisure Drive were very helpful, they gave us all the necessary inofrmation on how to get the details changed at the DVLA. We took some photos and sent them off with details of the conversion. It helps if the conversion has been done by a recognised company. The new documents arrived without any problems.
                  Mary

Comment

When people are parting with eye wateringly large sums of money that are involved with a motorhome I think the dealerships have a responsibility to ensure that the documentation is correct.

Comment

I agree that this whole business re registration is a mess, and particularly annoying for the customer who as you say may be parting with eye watering sums of money. However, for reasons as stated before, the dealers are in a very difficult position. As Vanderella pointed out, they CAN help by supporting us with the right documentation to support our requests, and that was certainly our own experience with Freeborn. It would be very interesting to hear Ant's views on this!

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems to me to lie with DVLA negotiating body type with the manufacturers before the vehicles even reach the dealers, and I would imagine that would open a whole new can of worms.

Comment

I am concerned that if I have understood this correctly, there is a danger in the advent of a claim that you may not be covered because the paperwork is not correct and this has not been drawn to your attention!

Anyway the situation is what it is and nothing will be acheived by throwing the toys out of the pram... it just looks like it is another problem to sort out.
                        Last edited by Tentpeg; 03-08-2011, 19:41.

Comment

Thanks VonUK for your useful info,I rang Romahome two days ago and recieved a certificate of conversion this morning so far so good, tomorrow a visit to the local dvla office to sort out the seating then to do battle with Swansea over the body type. We are going to France for September so hope I'm not been to optimistic about them sorting it out by then I'll see what the local office thinks before sending the log book off.Its most annoying I'm not a fussy person but I do like things to be right!
                          Joe
                          If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

Hello Joe, if you are going away early in September, I think you are probably right about it not giving you enough time for sorting the body type out. DVLA were very good with us, because they knew we were off to France within about 7 weeks, but it was a close run thing.

I believe there is another option if you did want to get the process started, and your local DVLA office might be able to give you more advice - for a small fee you can have a temporary document which verifies your VC5 and changes of seating etc, (not body type however) whilst you are waiting for the newVC5 to come. I know Anchorman (Tony) had one of these to take to France when he was going through this process because his actual VC5 was with the DVLA awaiting approval for body type. If you are off to France very early in September it might be worth a belt and braces job and getting the temporary cover anyway, to be absolutely sure you have a document to take with you to France.

Whereabouts are you going? We would love to be going to France in September, as the weather etc is supposed to be very good, but we've a holiday booked in the UK. I'm not complaining too much as it is the Scillies we are going to, and then a few days in Cornwall when we return!

Comment

Hello VonUK,Don't have any real plans for France just a vauge idea of drifting about in Brittany for a month When we make plans we rarely seem to stick to them!
                              The local DVLA office were helpful today but weren't impressed that my nice certificate of construction didnt prove that the conversion was done before the first date of registration,so after speaking to Romahome again I will have another foray armed with the paper work fom the original purchase tomorrow.There seems to be no problem about changing the seating but the said not to send my log book if I needed it for September, they didn't seem to sure about a temporary onebut I find out tomorrow
                              Joe
                              If you feel life is uncertain always eat your pudding first!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X