This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for novices in choosing awning

Hi, all you experienced campervanners! We're embarking on our first foray into the realms of motorised camping. Tried out the 1996 Romahome C15 Hytop this last week at a festival, discovered we really will need a driveaway awning to help with space issues when the bed's up. As the camper has a rear door and awnings we've seen fix to the side, we can't get our heads around what we need! Anyone out there who can advise? Please?!

You need a drive away awning. Caravan awnings won't fit and there's no rail....

Type awning into the search engine on here and study the threads on the subject.... Google and there are plenty to buy - you might even get a bargain at this time of year, try our Amazon link! I have a Movelite small (now called a Square) and I've had it for three seasons and used it on both a Romahome and a caravan!

Comment

Outdoor Revolution Movelite Square is ideal for C15's, small, relatively easy to erect and you can drive away and leave it on site.

It fixes to the back door easily, an elaticated tunnel pulls over the top of the van and two straps hold it down.

They aren't available through our forum shop at the moment but if you click the link below the forum will benefit from a small commission.

Outdoor megastore sell them CLICK THIS LINK
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Awning solution

Thank you, jayjay and Graham. We now understand...! :so happy:

Comment

Hi, Chris'n'Sue, Welcome.
          I have a 1998 C15 Hytop and also a Movelite Square.
          It's a nice size awning and very easy to put up with two people although I generally manage it on my own. I'm delighted with it.
          Maria

Comment

I have a C15 and a Movelite too. It does the job, and gives plenty of extra room. One word of warning though, it's not great at coping with high winds. I would advise extra pegs and if you know the wind is going to be really high, don't put it up. One of my bendy poles broke in a high wind. I was able to repair it myself though. Overall it's a good value awning I think, especially if you get it in a sale as I did.

Good luck and happy travels,

DJSooz.

Comment

Still unsure...

Hi, following the trail im still not sure reading the posts if the awning is easy or hard to erect. Im pretty much going to have to put one up myeslf as my wife is not to well, im 6ft so can reach above the rear of my 2003 outlook. Anyone out there who can reasure me im buying the right awning by purchasing the Movelite?

Comment

Hi Alex

I have done a video of how to erect a Movelite awning, you can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Smallmot.../0/MA16a0B7LWE

I would say it won't be easy to put up yourself, the worst part is putting the pins into the poles, you have to really bend the poles to get the pin in, it takes a bit of physical strength, having said that any awning is going to be hard for one person but a lot of single campers do put them up themselves.

There are usually people around who will be willing to help.

The big plus side for me with the Movelite is the size it packs down to, it doesn't weigh much and takes up very little room in the van compared with other awnings we have had.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Graham and Alex.
                  I don't have any problem putting the pins in the ends of the poles. (I'm only 5ft 2ins and not built like a weightlifter). My only problem (if you can call it that) is keeping the awning upright to get all the corners reasonably square before pegging. I sometimes wish I had three arms about four foot long!! Or maybe I should train the dog to hold the guy ropes

Comment

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                    Hi Graham and Alex.
                    I don't have any problem putting the pins in the ends of the poles. (I'm only 5ft 2ins and not built like a weightlifter). My only problem (if you can call it that) is keeping the awning upright to get all the corners reasonably square before pegging. I sometimes wish I had three arms about four foot long!! Or maybe I should train the dog to hold the guy ropes
                    I found that if I got the pins in and the structure upright, pull away from the van at the back (to get the hoody flap taut) and put a peg in at one corner at one pin. Then straighten out and go to the next corner and peg that pin down, then the two at the back, furthest away from the van. That takes care of the square bit. Then I peg the guys out, then back to the mudflaps, then the stormstraps.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X