As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romahome on a Diahatsu

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome on a Diahatsu

Hey there !!
    I have a diahatsu 1.3 diesel (1996) with a romahome on...... I bought this about a month ago and I love it we have been the Lakes and Anglesey so far !!!
    However a few questions to all you experienced Romahome owners !!

Is it natural to go about 15 miles an hour up a hill ??!! (I don't carry anything heavy)
    Also I have had loads of problems with the electrics... my lights keep blowing and I have to repeatedly change the fuse :-o
    Any help and hints would be appreciated

Thanks Heidi xx

Hi Heidi!

We have a Romahome on a 2004 Suzuki pickup. Our uphill speed is very dependent on whether we get a good run at it, but I don't think we get as low as 15 mph! I think something is amiss there and probably Ant will give you some answers. Try posting on the 'Ask Ant' section. With regards to your electrics, it sounds as though you need to get them looked at by someone as you certainly shouldn't have to keep changing the fuse.
    You'll have loads of good times in your van once it's sorted - we may see you in Wales as we go there often.

Happy campervanning!

Comment

My uphill speed in my old Bedford Rascal romahome was an embarrassing 10, sometimes down to 5mph if it was a long slow one! I did used to take a run at them if I could see them coming! Mine was only a 970cc engine, and very old. Top speed on the flat was only around 45-50mph.

I was told by my garage that the romahome pod itself was heavy for the size of the engine.

Re the fuses, I agree with Dolly - post as much info as you can about when where these fuses are blowing, maybe Ant can help so post in the Ask Ant section.

Comment

Hi Heidi. I have a C15 and it's very slow going up hill sometimes. Of course it depends on how steep the hill is but sometimes I'm down to second gear If I can get a good run it's a bit better. There's only me and my little dog and my camping stuff in it but it sometimes does get a bit embarrassing especially when there's a big lorry up my backside
        Maria

Comment

heidee hi hiedy !!!!!!

i drive the identical vehicle to you and am loving it. My one performs much better than you have described, so it sounds like your one needs some tender loving care.
          Have a look at my other thread about getting blown down the motorway, its a great romahome but can be a bit blowey out there.

happy camping

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Lady Heidi View Post
            Hey there !!
            I have a diahatsu 1.3 diesel (1996) with a romahome on...... I bought this about a month ago and I love it we have been the Lakes and Anglesey so far !!!
            However a few questions to all you experienced Romahome owners !!

Is it natural to go about 15 miles an hour up a hill ??!! (I don't carry anything heavy)
            Also I have had loads of problems with the electrics... my lights keep blowing and I have to repeatedly change the fuse :-o
            Any help and hints would be appreciated

Thanks Heidi xx
            No its not natural,the last person to have this problem was diagnosed by our resident expert Ant,to have a stretched accelerator cable and was told how to shorten it to make it work properly,and came back reporting that the vehicle was now "nippy". Ask Ant for details. Ian
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I can just echo this. I had a C15 Hylo that was painfully slow on any incline. Since I wasn't very near to Ant, I looked for a local diesel/citroen person and came up with a lovely garage that sorted my 'accelerator' problem out for £25 pounds over 4 years ago. The looked after that van, and are now looking after my Outlook too. x

Comment

Originally posted by Aileen View Post
                I can just echo this. I had a C15 Hylo that was painfully slow on any incline. Since I wasn't very near to Ant, I looked for a local diesel/citroen person and came up with a lovely garage that sorted my 'accelerator' problem out for £25 pounds over 4 years ago. The looked after that van, and are now looking after my Outlook too. x
                One of the first things we did was find ourselves a good mechanic, who came recommended. The one we got was recommended by our chap who does the 2cv and we have been really happy with him. Ask around, Heidi, someone will know someone.\

Comment

We have a demountable romahome on an 05 Suzuki Carry pick-up and its a "pocket rocket" :so happy:
                  I also swap the romahome for a luton pod for work and even fully loaded and with a trailer full of gear it "dos'nt half move"
                  on the motorway it cruses at 70.
                  I had a Bambi and this was a bit on the slow side and you had to anticipate hills well in advance, but also you had to think well ahead if you wanted to Break ,
                  Bambis are a bit on the heavy side and proberbly almost on the vehicle's weight limits.
                  The electrics on my romahome originaly pluged into a 12s trailer socket on the pick-up and used the vehicles power, but this was not fused, so i isolated the incoming cable (under the romahome seat) from the trailer plug (Blue wire) and installed a lesuire battery. From this I ran it through a six way fuse box. I then connected the electric equipment in the romahone to individual fuses. Now if a fuse blows i know what has tripped out.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X