As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three on holiday with an R20

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it was really my first real week away and it certainly rained! We had an awning and a pop up for my two adult children. My son drove down separately so that we did not compromise the payload too greatly. The field was boggy and I did get stuck at one point on the holiday. We were in a minimal facilities site but we did have an electric hook up, but there were no loos and no showers, just the chemical dump and the tap.

What I leant was

How capacious the little R20 we were able to shelter from the storms, all three of us, and I was able to successfully produce food.

How easy it is to use the R20, how useful the ledges are that run either side of the van.

It was great to be able to drive off together and actually one of the great joys was being able to cater anywhere. So if you like a spot you can brew up and feed the troops there and then. We had a wonderful supper at Start point.

How when it is wet you really need a mat at the door.... (on the list of things to get now have been delibrately holding off)

Hook ups... cables are always in a tangle however you pack them away, and when I coil them up neatly they tangle worse then if I just bunged them in!

Electric corner steadies would be wonderful. The electric step idea, well okay but the manual step is easy enough but corner steadies require kneeling to line up the socket. This means damp muddy knees.
    Last edited by Tentpeg; 28-08-2011, 07:59.

Well done. Am glad you had fun.

I think having an awning must make a lot of difference to whether or not you find the R20 capacious or claustrophobic when more than one person is inside. But it certainly is great to be able to stop and cook up basic food, wherever you wish / need. Also to be able to shelter in relative comfort from the rain / wind. We use those little shelves for the oddments, do you? eg playing cards, little games, bks, 1st aid kit, head torch, etc. Do you?

Personally, I still haven't bothered using the corner steadies as they take up quite a lot of storage space - did you find them worth using?

I take cricket stumps to leave by the back door, for the wellies in wet / muddy conditions. Bought from the pound shop and just the thing. I have taken up the original carpet for the entrance, instead using a cheap carpet mat, and matching ones cover the floor in the ...er...lounge / bedroom area (she says, pretentiously!!) Also insist on no shoes beyond this point! i.e. beyond the entrance.

One thing I have found a godsend is the external handle that we had fastened to the outside, by the back door.

All in all, I have never regretted buying this little van and it sounds as if you appreciate yours as well. :so happy:
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

wet feet

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
      Well it was really my first real week away and it certainly rained! We had an awning and a pop up for my two adult children. My son drove down separately so that we did not compromise the payload too greatly. The field was boggy and I did get stuck at one point on the holiday. We were in a minimal facilities site but we did have an electric hook up, but there were no loos and no showers, just the chemical dump and the tap.

What I leant was

How capacious the little R20 we were able to shelter from the storms, all three of us, and I was able to successfully produce food.

How easy it is to use the R20, how useful the ledges are that run either side of the van.

It was great to be able to drive off together and actually one of the great joys was being able to cater anywhere. So if you like a spot you can brew up and feed the troops there and then. We had a wonderful supper at Start point.

How when it is wet you really need a mat at the door.... (on the list of things to get now have been delibrately holding off)

Hook ups... cables are always in a tangle however you pack them away, and when I coil them up neatly they tangle worse then if I just bunged them in!

Electric corner steadies would be wonderful. The electric step idea, well okay but the manual step is easy enough but corner steadies require kneeling to line up the socket. This means damp muddy knees.
      do as we do keep some pieces off off cut of carpet on top in cab as the one at door gets wet put a nother down hadey to nell on as well and if u get stuck in mude

diggdeep

Comment

Like the multipurpose carpet pieces idea. We carry a couple of rubber door mats in the passenger footwell, to use in case we get bogged down in mud. Problem is that some poor soul has to wade back to pick them up again once the van is free
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I am a great fan of Turtle mats. The one at my back door is 18 yrs old and still going strong!
          I used them at my tent door - much to my friends amusement - but it saved having to clean off muddy footprints on my groundsheet. It now sits permanently in my R20 kitchen footwell and is very effective at keeping the carpets clean.
          I also use Kilm rugs - bought from a stand at Shepton motorhome show - which like the Turtle mats are washable. Mats and rugs wash up like new.

Lizzie

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
          Working...
          X