This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimension Mods

Hi All a few more of my Dimension Mods as we normally wild camp and have done for above 40 years

1 Drinking water is at a premium we treat our water with Elsil and have always run a Nature Pure to a separate tap ( this time we are using a Pozzani Filter http://www.pozzani.co.uk/systems.html
    in order to conserve our drinking water we carry a 3ltr container of clean water in the biggest container to fit between the cassette door and the cassette see photo.

2 As we have always had a PVC conversion space at night is at a premium so we fit wardrobe hanging rails to allow clothing to be hung on hangers at night or even during the day if it does not interfere with the rear vision see photos 1 & 2. note the blue nylon cord this is a drying line for towels etc.

3 Control Panel I hate leaving the pump turned on when not in use we came back to a wet van once when the pump emptied the water tank in the van when a pipe joint sprung a leak. I always fit a 12volt 3mm led to the switch output in this case red for the pump, green for the 12volt lighting and yellow for the auxiliary switch we only leave the lighting switch on all the time.

4 Wobbly Table Leg. as Graham noted the floor in the Dimension is a lid for the underfloor storage area and as such the lid moves when the table is in use I have made a 100mm disc with finger holes to turn it is carpeted to match the seat base an offset centre fixing allows the disc to be twisted and locks the lid closed when rotated to its upper position the lid opens without fouling the disc. I left the rim of the disc I had not decided whether to paint or stain black I think stain will be better.
    We have been motor caravanners since 1969 we have always had PVC conversions as we prefere to go places the big coachbuilts and their generators and towed cars cannot go we are not anti social but prefer peace and quiet so a lot of the adaptions have been in a lot of our vans ( exept the wobbly table thats a first )

Alf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alf39; 06-09-2011, 21:59.

Great adaptions Alf! Maybe romahome should be talking to you about what's needed in the build!

Couldn't help noticing a great big wash and wax container in there - you could save space by decanting a bit into a smaller container? Then you could carry another drinking water container!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      Great adaptions Alf! Maybe romahome should be talking to you about what's needed in the build!

Couldn't help noticing a great big wash and wax container in there - you could save space by decanting a bit into a smaller container? Then you could carry another drinking water container!
      jayjay
      you miss the point the container is holding 3 litre water to top up the toilet flush to SAVE our drinking water. This is in the spare space in front of the Toilet cassette the fresh water is in a tank under the motor caravan
      Alf
      Last edited by alf39; 07-09-2011, 12:01.

Comment

Hi Alf

An ingenious solution to the "wobbly leg syndrome" does it really keep the table from wobbling?

I like your mats with the hole for the leg, we haven't got those we have to move the mat before we put the leg in place. Also noticed you have table leg hole covers too, were they with the van?
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We did not even get mats with our van let alone hole covers. The chap at Freeborn said they did not make mats for the Dimension. Never mind we have some cut to fit from B & Q, I have fitted them around our new swivel table leg floor holder and under the seats so we are really posh.

Our new table will get its first use this weekend and we are hoping that it will be good. We bought the kit they use in German vans and it looks good but was expensive.

Terry's skills at building have come in handy and whereas I would just have screwed it to the base he has fitted strengthening wooden struts so it is firm and won't fall apart if we press on it - hopefully.

I love to see folks' other innovations and well done alf you have some really good ideas there. If our table hole had been somewhere else we would have managed but it is in the way in the door.
          Last edited by Flo; 07-09-2011, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
            jayjay
            you miss the point the container is holding 3 litre water to top up the toilet flush to SAVE our drinking water. This is in the spare space in front of the Toilet cassette the fresh water is in a tank under the motor caravan
            Alf
            He he he! And there was me thinking you were a bit OTT on cleaning!! I stand corrected.. marvellous idea. I take an empty fabric conditioner bottle to rinse out the luggable loo if there isn't a hose!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Hi Alf

Also noticed you have table leg hole covers too, were they with the van?
              You can buy them, Graham, from any motorhome/caravan accessory shop. Fiamma make them - I expect that you could probably get them from Amazon, but haven't checked.

Comment

Flo, that's strange about the mats...ours came with them. Have you not got metal press studs in the floor where they are attached?

Comment

Hi All
                  Graham the carpets and Fiamma bungs came with the van, but beware the Desmo ones do not fit.
                  With the storage box lid secure most of the table movement has gone but the Fiamma does not seem seem to be as good as the Desmo there is slight movement between the leg and the table.
                  When sliding the rear seat forward a slight mark appears on the carpet which means either lifting the seat bases on the seat box or taking a bit of the front of the rear seat support legs.

Flo do you not have a table leg on the offside behind the drivers seat ? could you not use that

Alf

Comment

Hi Alf

We can't use the table behind the driver's seat because we leave the bed set up that side permanently when we are on site. T has to sleep during the day so easier to leave it set up. This means the only place the leg can go is in the doorway and it gets in the way as we go in and out frequently.

We saw the swivel version on a van at the Freeborn weekend and have seen several more in the newer vans as we travel around. the swivel table is perfect for us as it is just so versatile. It can be left in position all day and just swings out of the way with the flick of a lever. The lever makes it stable so the leg is fixed or free and the top swivels too.

In fact it is perfect.

Comment

Flo the only fault in the design of the dimension is being unable to use the rear door with ease if the shower and wardrobe were on the nearside and the kitchen on the offsde the opening rear door could be used ( when the folding table is not in use ) otherwise for a SWB van the design is brilliant we are well pleased.
                      From one of our previous vans we have a small table I made with thr leg socket set about 1/3 from one end this allows a certain amount of swivel
                      Alf

Comment

I have found all this dimension talk fasinating being a big fan my self. Some brilliant ideas. As mine is only a one man/woman van theres more than enough room for moi, but if on sight I make up a lounging area across the front cab using one of the cushion inserts.Then nice throws and pillows along the dash but would like a removable steering wheel.It is useful though for drying damp towels (when the suns shining)!All this enables me to leave the table up behind the drivers seat.A friend added 4inches to the leg which is now a joy to get my knees under.Other leg stored under floor for guests etc..I love this set up.No mats came with mine but good old morrisons mats have done the job and look very smart.Happy camping every oneZoe

Comment

Talking about lounging in a Dimension, we usually leave our back seat headrests at home but one particular camping trip we didn't know what to do with them but we came up with the idea of using them for settee arms.

See our video.

http://youtu.be/rJVKhLbVOfM
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Graham the blank for the able leg socket are available from
                            http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/...les/tables.htm

the item no is 029767 - Fiamma Cap its worth noting this firm for the range of items stoked and the speedy service

Alf

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              Hi Alf

An ingenious solution to the "wobbly leg syndrome" does it really keep the table from wobbling?

I like your mats with the hole for the leg, we haven't got those we have to move the mat before we put the leg in place. Also noticed you have table leg hole covers too, were they with the van?
                              Graham, ... the table is now firm, with the floor now secure with my locking rings I found the table nearest the sliding door still had slight movement investigation found that 5 of the fixing screws for the floor socket were not tight and were just turning I replaced the existing 4 x 20 screws with 5 x 25 chipboard screws and both tables are now fine
                              Alf

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X