Arrived at Ebury Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrived at Ebury Hill

Well, I've arrived at Ebury Hill. It's a lovely little site, mostly just grass and trees. My pitch is a bit naff, not particulalrly level and more cramped than some, but I'm not complaining. I've settled in nicely.

The plan is tomorrow to try out the Harrison awning, which I believe was specifically designed for the Romahome C15. At the moment I have slung up my Easy Camp sun canopy on the newly fitted awning rails which seem to hold it much better. Success there.

I am also experimenting with a rear sun canopy, made from a 1.5metre x 2metre £10 tarp and £10 poles from Go Outdoors. It seems a great success. More on that in a future post.

To get the Harrison awning to fit and stay within my pitch, I think I'm going to have to go diagonally on the pitch, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Done enough for today as I had a six and a half hour nightmare journey to get here and I'm knackered. Note the fabulous Safari loo tent as well.

Oh and I've put this thread in the Romahome section as an awful lt of it is going to be technichal or useful stuff particularly relating to the C15 Romahome/Hylo.

IMG_3731.JPGIMG_3728.JPG

Panda
    https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Good for you Kevin Pandabloke ! Two sun canopies.... Your inventiveness knows no bounds! Looking forward to seeing the awning going up, hope the awning rail works.

Re: your journey time: Now so many people are holidaying in the UK I think traffic jams are here to stay! Crossing the motorway bridge yesterday I could see the traffic on the M5 back almost to giant car park mode. It was moving, (slowly) but you only need a slight hiccup and the whole thing just grinds to a halt. She said cheerfully.
    Cynthia

Comment

So, up bright and early erected the Harrison awning.

Very pleased! It is hilarious, as you can see. I was greeted with comments like 'when's the ringmaster turning up' and 'has Lawrence of Arabia arrived then?' and other such comments from the jealous peasants on site, but it has been accepted with general admiration and amusement.

I have to say, I was reluctant at first because it doesn't have any side windows and very little through ventilation because it only has the opening rear door. The other door rests up against Hettie, obviously. However, it has grown on me during the day, to the extent that I think I am going to keep it up all week. It has provided a draught proof space this evening, a fine gallery for viewing the grand prix this afternon and the additional space is proving proper handy like. I am now completely sold on it.

The little tunnel fits really well when the roof is up, but now I've dropped the roof for bedtime, it is not so tight, so a little work is needed there. Also I have found one very small 10p sized hole that will need darning and the roof is filthy if you look up. However, none of these things detract from the usefulness and most of all, the comedic impact of a stripey Harrison awning.

Also, just because I can, I have erected Hettie's Romahome fibreglass table in the awning. I think this is possibly the first time I've used that table in anger, despite dragging it everywhere with me.

All in all it is a successful addition to camping in Hettie. And just to think that the blessed thing has been sitting in my spare room for 2 years!

IMG_3735.JPGIMG_3743.JPGIMG_3741.JPGIMG_3736.JPGIMG_3739.JPG

Panda

Comment

Wow, that looks great Kevin Pandabloke! I can see what attracted the amusing comments - it certainly does fit the 'retro' description perfectly! It's also really useful having full height through every inch of the thing. One thing that can be a bit galling when using the Caranex: the long slopey bit at the back, although you can park a table there to make use of the space available.
        Cynthia

Comment

That's a good set up and in bad weather it comes into it's own.Very warm in cold weather as well, but it was just too heavy for me.I bought mine new and paid hundreds for it but sold it with the van. They are a good design,mine had the internal compartment for a shower or loo. Very useful indeed.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Pandabloke I am intrigued by your comment "dropped the roof for bedtime" - why? Surely you just bang your head on the roof when you get up? I agree it can get draughty but so what, no worse than a tent.

Edit: When does the Punch & Judy show start?
            Last edited by JimBro; 03-08-2020, 15:07.
            Too old to know everything!

Comment

Hi Jim,

Yes, I always lower the roof at night. It does indeed keep the draughts out. I can sit up without banging my head ok, so that's how I have it. And crucially, I can sit on the portaloo in the night without banging my head too! So that's my night time set up. Horses for courses I suppose.

And yes, I've never thought of the punch and judy, lol!

Panda

Comment

When we had a canvas sided pop-top we used to to close it overnight too. Much more cozy.

Comment

I do the same, except in very warm weather.
                  Claire

Comment

I've spent 4 years tracking down all the draughts in C15 Romahomes and I think I finally have stopped them all. The last one eluded me for a long time and it was a eureka moment when I finally traced it.

I'm going to do a YouTube video on C15 Romahome draughts in the near future.

Panda

Comment

With our R20 Lo we would lower the roof at night in cold or windy weather, but otherwise it stayed up.

It helped that both of us are 5' 3".
                      Geoff

Comment

Welcome to Shropshire, Panda. Love the awning, very retro. I would leave it up all week, it's what it's designed for. You don't need the loo tent with that.

Comment

Hi Caz. I use the loo tent as a shower as well, so I might as well leave the loo in there too! But I bring it in to Hettie at night.

My awning hasn't got the loo compartment that some had, either.

But yes, I love the awning and not only will I leave it up this time, but it is definitely going to be used in the future, too.

Panda

Comment

I've had a bit of time to fiddle with me canopies and tarps today and it has been an extremely productive day.

It has led to me finding a simple method to attach a tarp or a sun canopy to Hettie in this thread here: https://community.smallmotorhome.co....-safe-and-easy

Sometimes you just need a couple of hours of sunny weather to play about a bit and you get those eureka moments.

Still thoroughly enjoying the site and the nice weather that Shropshire is throwing at me.

Also drove away from and then backed on to the awning for the first time ever and after a couple of minutes of juggling, I got there. I'll get better with time!

Panda

Comment

Well, I intended to do some videoing today, but the weather was nice so I thought I'd just have a couple of hours or so by the pond. Which produced this!

IMG_3763.JPG

A rather nice big old tench! Caught, believe it or not on a 5 ft, £13.00 telescopic rod and reel from Go Outdoors. I caught nothing else, but it was worth every minute of the time I spent there. Many thanks to a chap called Dave who gave me handy hints on depth, hook size, baits etc.

Caught at about 6ft, (on the bottom), on a size 12 hook on sweetcorn. A little loaded waggler as the float.

Quick picture and back in to the oggin for the next fool to catch.

So nothing technical today, unless you count tackle advice!

Panda

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X