This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet option

We are thinking about changing our Duo Hylo for the Hi roof Outlook. If we do change we are debating about having the toilet option - the one with the flip up sink.

Does anyone have this option and if so do they think it is worthwhile having it? All comments appreciated as we can't make our minds up.
    Moya :)

Originally posted by Moya View Post
    We are thinking about changing our Duo Hylo for the Hi roof Outlook. If we do change we are debating about having the toilet option - the one with the flip up sink.

Does anyone have this option and if so do they think it is worthwhile having it? All comments appreciated as we can't make our minds up.
    Hi Moya

We had the toilet option in our Duo when we had it and we found it ok, it was nice having the toilet handy but the downside was that we lost the cupboard space under the sink and in a small van with limited storage that can be a problem.

Not sure if the layout is the same now but there was a curtain to pull across to give privacy from the main van and you could pull the blind down on the back door window.

Previous to that we had a Duo and had to have the toilet in the awning which was ok but it was a bit nippy sometimes for a nocturnal visit to the loo.

The Dimension was the next step which is lots better, a private cassette toilet and sink inside the van.

Best of luck in what you decide.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Moya,

We have had our hi top Outlook with the toilet option since September and are more than pleased with her (Annie van). We changed from an Autosleeper with a cassette toilet and sink because we wanted to have just one vehicle. Whilst I agree with Graham's comments, for us we have made the right decision. It does have the lift up sink and curtain etc and we find it to be quite adequate and hassle free to use.

We thought we would miss the extra cupboard space but with careful planning we find we have plenty of storage space. There is masses of space in the luton, especially as there are no cushions to store in the daytime. We do have a drive away awning that allows us to spread out a bit when we are away. This stores in the space under the table when travelling, or stays at home if we're not staying away.

Another big factor in our decision is that we regularly go out for the day and cook our meal in some beautiful location. And beautiful locations rarely have a loo nearby, and if they do you can bet they're closed for the winter!

I hope this helps you to make your decision. Mary
      :sunshine:

Comment

We have an Outlook with the toilet option. We hardly use all the space we have anyway and certainly don't need any more usually. We even have a magazine and wine rack on back of drivers' seat!

The loo can be curtained off if necessary but as we usually stay on a site with facilities it is only used at night to save the dash across the field to the loo.

We too sometimes pitch up for lunch somewhere and it is nice to have a loo on board. A dedicated shower/loo cubicle would be very nice if camping with no facilities but it would take a lot of space and for us the TINY size of the van is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Hi Moya

Previous to that we had a Duo and had to have the toilet in the awning which was ok but it was a bit nippy sometimes for a nocturnal visit to the loo.
          We have always managed with the loo in awning or utility tent or just nipping across to the shower block when close to it. Last time I "nipped" across in November as you may remember the step gave me flying lessons and I broke my wrist. This is one of the reasons we are thinking of this option. We also thought about the fact that you do lose the cupboard under the sink but maybe the loo is more important. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your comments ScapaFlow and Annie Van. I think you are right about finding room elsewhere for things when losing the cupboard space. We had thought that about the extra space in the luton.

ScapaFlow "the TINY size of the van is more important." This is the same for us as we can't park anything bigger in the layby outside of our house.

We are going to Freeborn tomorrow to have a look and hopefully make a decision.

Another thought have either of you got the heating? We haven't in this van but again wondering if it is worth the extra cost etc.

Thanks for your help.
          Moya :)

Comment

Hello, Moya,
            We switched from an old Hylo to an Outlook with the toilet option. For us this is much better than having the porta potti under the bench. Lifting the porta potti from under the bench can be tricky, so we find the toilet option easier on your back. As for space, there's loads of room in the luton, so I don't think you'll find it an issue at all.
            Aileen

Comment

Hi Moya,

We do have the blown air heating system that runs off the diesel fuel. We stopped away mid Oct and didn't need to use it, it was so cosy at night. We've not actually needed to use it yet so can't really comment on it. I'm sure someone else will be able to.

We hope you find the right van for you at Freeborn tomorrow.
              :sunshine:

Comment

I'm curious. I'd like a Romahome in the future and it must have a loo because I wild-camp and rarely use campsites. If they don't have the designated cupboard under the sink, is it possible to fit one under one of the bunks instead?

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                  I'm curious. I'd like a Romahome in the future and it must have a loo because I wild-camp and rarely use campsites. If they don't have the designated cupboard under the sink, is it possible to fit one under one of the bunks instead?
                  Yes there is a porta potti that fits under the seats but I can't remember the number of it now, someone else hopefully will know.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We have the Roma Duo and have a porta loo which travels in between the bench seats, then it lives in the awning till night time, then it fits snuggly in between the fridge and the sink for night time use. It is really handy for us oldies who need a helping hand to get off it so thats where the sink or the cooker come in handy. We dont have the luxury of a curtain, at our age we have nothing to hide.

Comment

We have the toilet option and it is brilliant. My wife has got to the stage that she would not go camping if she couldn't have her own loo

Comment

Hi Moya

As prev post we have the Outlook with the portaloo option and we also have central heating. Would not do without the heating as it is so good and means we can camp any time of the year. Even in Summer it can get cold and damp and a 10 mins boost and the van is warm as toast. Then we put on the elect oil radiator to keep it warm if we need to.

The Outlook is small but perfectly formed.

Comment

toilet option

We also have the toilet option in our R20, best move we've made.

It is "convenient" when out for the day, I sewed velcro on to the
                          curtain and stuck camel velcro on to the vehicle near the press
                          stud you should use, it is a lot quicker and it means you are not
                          always pulling and pushing the stud which is sometimes a bit tricky.

We find that there is more room with the toilet option and curtain
                          than there was in the dedicated toilet/shower we had in the Trigano
                          Tribute. Even more storage in the Romahome than the Trigano Tribute.

Seems like most folk are giving it

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by pendel View Post
                            We have the Roma Duo and have a porta loo which travels in between the bench seats, then it lives in the awning till night time, then it fits snuggly in between the fridge and the sink for night time use. It is really handy for us oldies who need a helping hand to get off it so thats where the sink or the cooker come in handy. We dont have the luxury of a curtain, at our age we have nothing to hide.
                            I used to have the same arrangement as Penny and Derek in my demountable Roma, except I had a 'luggable loo'. I've kept this for in the little Kip van. Just lives outside/in awning until bedtime, then find a space within. It came with a little portaloo, which I sold because of having to part-fill the two tanks which I knew would be hard work on my back. Wouldn't be without my luggable loo! Im thinking of ways i could maybe hang a privacy curtain for the night time.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                              Im thinking of ways i could maybe hang a privacy curtain for the night time.

How about this jayjay?????
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X