As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the weight of a calor gas cylinder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the weight of a calor gas cylinder?

I wonder if anybody can tell me the weight of an empty calor gas propane (red one) cylinder please?

Running out of gas is a problem for me with the Romahome because there is no easy way to carry a spare cylinder so it makes sense only to take one when you know the situation is borderline. But then it is impossible to be sure how near the cylinder is to empty other than by weighing.

The plan is to use one of the digital scales that are used to measure airport luggage that you can buy on amazon. That way I can just check the weight of the cylinder. It would be also useful to check that you have been given a full cylinder when buying.

Thanks

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
    I wonder if anybody can tell me the weight of an empty calor gas propane (red one) cylinder please?

Running out of gas is a problem for me with the Romahome because there is no easy way to carry a spare cylinder so it makes sense only to take one when you know the situation is borderline. But then it is impossible to be sure how near the cylinder is to empty other than by weighing.

The plan is to use one of the digital scales that are used to measure airport luggage that you can buy on amazon. That way I can just check the weight of the cylinder. It would be also useful to check that you have been given a full cylinder when buying.

Thanks
    Good idea - it was REALLY frustrating when we ran out of gas at the rally, though other people were very helpful. I've been contemplating storing a single burner camping gas stove in the outside supboard where we put the electricity lead, for just such an emergency.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Thanks
      don't all gas cylinders have the tare weight stamped on them look on the collar that protects the valve
      its then easy to add the weight of gas
      weigh a full one then an empty one

we use a gaslow gauge this gives a rough guide to how much gas you have but also doubles up as a leak detector
      Alf

Comment

Can't weigh and empty one as disconnected my old gas cylinder as felt empty rather than risk running out on last trip.... So my old cylinder will not be completely empty... Tare weight I take is the empty weight Alf?

Comment

Can't weigh and empty one as disconnected my old gas cylinder as felt empty rather than risk running out on last trip.... So my old cylinder will not be completely empty... Tare weight I take is the empty weight Alf?
          Yes the weight of the cylinder with no gas
          I will look at one of my cylinders later for you

Alf

Comment

Not sure if this is any help to you. When we purchased our cyclinder we asked the seller. 14lb full ..... 8lb empty, we have a digital hand held scale. (luggage) Handy little things. Seems pretty accurate.
            Jessie

Comment

Gas Cylinder Weight

Hi Tentpeg I have just checked 3no 3.9 KG part empty Calor Propane cylinders none now show the tare weight but my 6KG does give the tare weight this is stamped on the ring at the bottom that the bottle stands on

Alf

Comment

No just gone out and checked myself and had the same problem... no indication.

Comment

We have room for a spare so don't have the problem of running out but there is an indicator on Amazon if it is of any interest to you.

GAS LEVEL INDICATOR

I can't recommend them as I haven't had need for one.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I have looked at the gas level indicator and the opinion generally is that they are not very good. The only way really is weighing the dratted thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      We have room for a spare so don't have the problem of running out but there is an indicator on Amazon if it is of any interest to you.

GAS LEVEL INDICATOR

I can't recommend them as I haven't had need for one.
                      Graham we have used a Gaslow Propane Gauge for some time now (on the last 3 vans ) they give a rough guide to bottle contents and can be used as a leak detector both bottles connect to it you just turn on the one you require and there is a non return valve to stop feeding into an empty bottle so you just remove and swap the empty as easy as that.

The amazon type gauge has been around a long time every body I have ever spoken to about this type of gauge has said they don't work I have never heard anyone give it a good report there was a post on another forum not long since and no one gave it a good word there either

At present I have a bottle problem in the Symbol you could use 1- 6KG and 1 - 3.9KG the Dimension will only take 3.9 bottles we had 2 full 6KG propane no one wants to swap full 6KG for 3.9KG I have swapped a 6KG for a 1/2 full 3.9KG ( poor swap but !!! )

Alf

Comment

Gas Bottle

Hi Tentpeg Full 3.9 gas bottle weight = 10 KG
                        Bottle stamped tare weight 6.1 KG ---- 13lbs 6ozs

This afternoon I tried my local Calor agent not a Caravan outlet he swapped the 6kg for 3.9kg problem solved

a very good gas gauge / safety device is this

http://www.bes.co.uk/product/63~LPG~...y-Fitting.html

it shuts gas supply shoulkd a pipe come off or a major leak occur plus the gauge for bottle content indication or leak tesring
                        for £12.98 plus VAT it seems cheap at the price
                        Alf

Comment

Has anyone tried the gas savers ?
                          http://www.presentsformen.co.uk/gas-.../?src=webgains

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                            looks good all we want now is someone to try it

Alf

Comment

Had looked into these before, the reviews i found were pretty bad, so I didn't bother. Will have a look for the reviews if I get chance.

EDIT:- found them on amazon
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B00...rstars_kitchen
                              Last edited by glenw; 17-10-2011, 21:01.
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X