This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duo parts buying..and a few quirks

Well after a month of owning our 'new' Duo - despite being overseas for two of those, I have been able to give it a good going over.
    Seems to be pretty problem free and I've finally worked out that bed extension thing (??).
    I definitely need to replace a couple of things though, the waste outlet has been dinged (Very vulnerable there - I guess its a common replacement) and the rear door seal is shot from boots catching it - Wheres best (this means cheapest to me) for parts, Romahome factory or talk to Ant on here?

Also, my Duo has grey front seats not interior fabric matched. Did they have a sort of 'loose' cover fitted at the factory that has gone missing, or a proper trimmer-fitted factory seat replacement?

Finally, I mentioned in an earlier thread about exhaust soot coming in to the vehicle. As Ant dignosed, the very tip of the exhaust is perforated. Is the best fix an aftermarket down-turned exhaust tip, or running a metre of flexi to the rear?
    Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Waste outlet pipe is standard sized pipe available from most caravan dealers.

Doorseal - someone on the forum will be along shortly to tell you where to get doorseals from.

Those Romahomes with cab upholstery that matches the camper part are fitted covers, ours are and we cover them with loose car seat covers.

Exhaust exits from the side just behind the rear wheel so an after market chrome thing is probably the way to go. Our Outlook has a Romahome fitted stainless extension to the tail pipe. It is possible to buy and have fitted - in fact Romahome advise in our manual that if you have a new exhaust fitted make sure the extension is removed and fitted to the new exhaust. Please dont go along the rout of extending the exhaust to the rear, you will end up with exhaust fumes coming in through the vent under the back door.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
      Waste outlet pipe is standard sized pipe available from most caravan dealers.

Doorseal - someone on the forum will be along shortly to tell you where to get doorseals from.

Those Romahomes with cab upholstery that matches the camper part are fitted covers, ours are and we cover them with loose car seat covers.

Exhaust exits from the side just behind the rear wheel so an after market chrome thing is probably the way to go. Our Outlook has a Romahome fitted stainless extension to the tail pipe. It is possible to buy and have fitted - in fact Romahome advise in our manual that if you have a new exhaust fitted make sure the extension is removed and fitted to the new exhaust. Please dont go along the rout of extending the exhaust to the rear, you will end up with exhaust fumes coming in through the vent under the back door.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Peter
      Hi Peter, thanks for that. Just a few clarifications, The waste pipe on ours has a white T-piece with a plastic knurled knob along with the outlet protruding from the camper shell floor rather than the caravan type flexi waste pipe, I guess to allow waste to either be stored in the tank,or dropped out into an external tank (with a foot of added flexi) or dropped into a service waste dump. This has been bumped backwards and split.

I guess there was a cost saving option to delete matching seat coverings, If they are not a semi-loose fit then i'll stick with these a it will cost a fortune to get our local trimmer to make up the seats from bought in fabric.
      Time for some funky covers!

I can't see evidence of an exhaust extension on this one, so I guess the perforation at the end of the exhaust as I see it was caused by the extension pipe rotting across the joint. The extension itself is probably on a roadside somewhere. Is the extension an available accessory from Romahome? If not, I could add a short flexi to bridge the gap to the side. At the moment, the gas locker looks like a bomb has gone off in it! - maybe the injectors need a bit of fettling too as its a bit sooty.

I should add pictures I guess - What pic format does this forum recognise? - is it best to add [IMG] via photobucket?
      Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

The tap is a standard tap as used on homebrew beer kegs, mounted on an ally mounting bracket. Her is a photo of ours turned through 90 degrees and with a little handle fixed to make it easier to turn.

We have knocked it off once and I have had to remount it.

As I understand the exhaust extension is available from Romahome but it is only a piece of stainless pipe with a bit of a bend on it. There is a picture in the Romahome manual (picture 40, page 7 of the photos).

Peter
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
          The tap is a standard tap as used on homebrew beer kegs
          Yes, that's exactly what I have got on my home brew barrel, if you have a home brew shop near you they will stock them or you can get them on line from Amazon amongst others click link below.

HOME BREW TAP
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Updating the waste tap

Interesting! My waste tap must have been refitted and raised because it was impossible to fit it vertically, the way shown in the photo, too close to the 'van floor. So it was laying horizontal, not very convenient to use, in fact dead difficult. I solved the problem by fitting another type of tap, a direct swap, with the tap "handle" on the end of the pipe so it faces outwards. It is fitted to many motor homes, available from Amazon for, I think, £8.20. It is well worth updating with this tap, so convenient. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Originally posted by rubberrat View Post
              Hi Peter, thanks for that. Just a few clarifications, The waste pipe on ours has a white T-piece with a plastic knurled knob along with the outlet protruding from the camper shell floor rather than the caravan type flexi waste pipe, I guess to allow waste to either be stored in the tank,or dropped out into an external tank (with a foot of added flexi) or dropped into a service waste dump. This has been bumped backwards and split.

I guess there was a cost saving option to delete matching seat coverings, If they are not a semi-loose fit then i'll stick with these a it will cost a fortune to get our local trimmer to make up the seats from bought in fabric.
              Time for some funky covers!

I can't see evidence of an exhaust extension on this one, so I guess the perforation at the end of the exhaust as I see it was caused by the extension pipe rotting across the joint. The extension itself is probably on a roadside somewhere. Is the extension an available accessory from Romahome? If not, I could add a short flexi to bridge the gap to the side. At the moment, the gas locker looks like a bomb has gone off in it! - maybe the injectors need a bit of fettling too as its a bit sooty.

I should add pictures I guess - What pic format does this forum recognise? - is it best to add [IMG] via photobucket?
              my local garage welded me a piece of bent exhuast pipe to the box and fitted a support bracket etc...£25
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                my local garage welded me a piece of bent exhuast pipe to the box and fitted a support bracket etc...£25
                Ian,
                This very thought came to me today on my way home...bizarre coincidence!
                Next on my task list is the dreaded cambelt. I can never leave that job to a garage for some reason and give everything a good going over so I need to allocate some time.
                I'm also thinking of colour coding the rear bumper as it has two small dings and needs to come off for repair. May do the front too.
                I did this on my VW T5 and it made a huge difference to the styling. The black bumpers make the Roma look a little unbalanced in my view.
                A tricky job, the plastics needs to be completely smoothed of moulding textures and filled, then painted with a plasticiser before giving three coast of shiny white 2-pack.

Last edited by rubberrat; 24-10-2011, 19:51.
                Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Very smart.

Di.

Comment

Cheers Di - that camper was built as a high speed Euro express. Unlike my classic aircooled VW's I could clear France & Italy in two & a bit days rather than a week...or even more!

Now, I've just got the exhaust issue sorted, a princely £10 from my local independent exhaust centre (No, not Quick fit - can't get thicker than a Quick-fit fitter) So I still need o deal with the rear door seal, any clues where I can get one? I can't imagine Romahome had a moulding specially made, so is it available off the shelf anywhere?
                    Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Try looking at seals direct for the doorseal

Peter

Comment

Yes, seals direct have been recommended by people on this forum before.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppin...DepartmentId=8
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Brilliant. I'll spend a little time trying to identify the correct seal from that huge list and i'll post the result for others.
                          A 20 mile journey in the romahome yesterday has proved the exhaust mod works. I can drive and breath at the same time!
                          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

They will send sample. It may be a seal they have supplied before, give them a call.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter, Will call on Monday.
                              Thought I'd put up a picture of my new toy.. smaller this time to preserve your bandwidth!

Should have all the odd jobs done by the end of November for its first proper trip - to Cornwall.
                              Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X