This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicycle between front seat Romahome

Have asked about bikes before ... but WITHOUT adaptions such as martin has done ... can you fit a bicycle in the aisle of a Romahome?

How do you protect the seats etc? How do you secure it properly?

Sorry to bother everybody again. Thanks

If I take my bike out with me I have a couple of old towels I throw over the seats, wheel the bike in backwards then put the rear wooden bed support across between the frame and the front wheel of the bike. Seems to do the job.

Works for my 1993 C15 HyLo anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloeman View Post
      put the rear wooden bed support across between the frame and the front wheel of the bike. Seems to do the job.

Works for my 1993 C15 HyLo anyway.
      That's a handy tip....
      Jessie

Comment

Cycle quick release straps are always handy. A strap round the bars and a brake lever will help to keep a bike stationary. As will a strap round the down tube and the front wheel.

Someone mentioned 2 bikes. They may fit in the aisle if you put one in front first, and the second in back first, but I have not tried it. Two bikes strapped together are quite stable.

Comment

Do you fasten the bikes down to the van? I'm just thinking that the weight of a bike or 2 being thrown forward if you were involved in an accident would be massive and put the driver and passenger at big risk of injuries, especially as the cab/rear is open in a hylo (isn't it??) maybe a strap or 2 holding it down would be a prudent precaution??
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Fair point, Glen. You could just use the bed extension board standing on edge across the rear seats, or better still bolt or rivet a bracket on the riser of the step and run a strap from there to the bike(s) to stop forward movement.

Comment

I use a waterproof heavy-duty cotton motorbike cover (hardly used so clean) upside down in the aisle and overlapping the seats. It protects the seats and the carpet if the bike gets wet and muddy. I can't remember why but I wheel the bike in front-first. It goes right to one side and leans over at 45deg. If I need room in the back when parked I roll the bike forward upto the dashboard.

If not using an awning at night the bike is 'U' locked to the towing loop at the front bumper. I also found that using the m/bike cover the bike will actually fit across the cab. I've tried that at home but never done it whilst camping.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Roamingsue View Post
                Have asked about bikes before ... but WITHOUT adaptions such as martin has done ... can you fit a bicycle in the aisle of a Romahome?

How do you protect the seats etc? How do you secure it properly?

Sorry to bother everybody again. Thanks
                I have tried to explain how we did this this on the thread in this section about "bike racks and silverscreens"

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=392

Hope this helps

Barry

Comment

Bikes in Duo Outlook

You can put two bikes in the aisle of the Outlook. The method we use is as follows:

1. Use a 2x3metre tarpaulin to cover the seats and the floor of the aisle. Wrap the tarpaulin around the bikes after fitting them inside.

2. Remove pedals or fit MKS Ezy quick release pedals which are extremely easy to remove and refit.

3. Put the two bikes ,front wheels towards the front between the driver and passenger seats, as far forward as they will go. We fit a bar across the front of the bikes to stop them slipping forward incase of emergency braking.

We have been using this method for years and have never done any damage to the upholstery or the bodywork. The panniers etc are carried in two large supermarket shopping bags on the bench seats at the back of the drivers and passenger seats.

I admit this a little irksome but it works for us. I would say thay it is easier if one person assists whilst installing and removing as it saves any mishaps and back strains. Using this method also allows us to sit at the back to have our tea stops.

We also had a bike carrier fitted to a special towbar which we had made for us but we could not access the rear door and it also made the back end a little low.

Good luck,

Jim Connachan

Comment

I know of an couple years ago in a c15 used a wooden slatted square which they used outside to stand on out of the mud, and reversed it when placed inside the door well, this then held the wheels in place.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X