This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Belts

Pardon for the dual posting but I put this in the technical section too but think it will get a larger audience here.

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of getting a Romahome. We would like to be able to carry other passengers in the back. Is it possible to fit seat belts in the back of models with just the side facing benches or do we have to buy a Duo plus or one of the more recent models with two seats and table to one side (Pullman style).

I realise that the belts will probably only be lap belts but are there suitable points for these to be fitted.

Thanks

Ivor
    Last edited by Ivor3648; 16-02-2010, 10:01.

Hello, Welcome to the forum!!

As far as I'm aware, you won't be able to fit seatbelts to the side facing seats, they aren't safe.

As for passengers travelling in the back, the basics are covered here and more in depth here
    Last edited by glenw; 15-02-2010, 22:37.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

having done the research for this particular question........

Lapbelts for sidefacing passengers are not safe in an accident. it results in damage to internal organs etc.

The legality is another question and went no further once realised not a safe option. I would never forgive myself is something happened to one of my children as a result so went no further.

Comment

Recommendations for a 2 + 2

Roamingsue and Glenw,

Thanks very much for your very helpful replies and thoughts. I thought the legal requirements were complex but the safety issues pretty damning - and the pointers given are just what I needed. Thanks

Looks like we need to seek out a Duo plus or perhaps a model with the pullman seats - which have seat belts already fitted and face fore and aft. The position is that although there are only two of us who will regularly use the van we would like the option to sometimes carry a passenger or two.

Any thoughts?

Ivor
        Last edited by Ivor3648; 16-02-2010, 10:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor3648 View Post
          The position is that although there are only two of us who will regularly use the van we would like the option to sometimes carry a passenger or two.

Any thoughts?

Ivor

I highly recommend you buy the van we are selling, 2 seats up front 4 lap belts in the rear, 2 forward, 2 rear. I could even suggest a company that retro fit 3 point belts using the existing anchor points ( you can't blame me for trying can you!!!!!)

Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Nice try

Glenw,

Can't blame you for trying but we are looking for something a little lower so that we can get it into car parks and multistoreys. Looks like yours will loose its roof pretty soon if we tried

Cheers

Ivor
            Last edited by Ivor3648; 16-02-2010, 10:03.

Comment

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you won't regret buying a small motorhome! Have you owned a motorhome before or is this a first venture??

There are lots of very help people on here so if you do need any more help or info, ask away and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

As for other suggestions for your proposed purchase, I'm afraid I can't be much help to you. We originally joined here when we bought a demountable romahome, with 'bench seats' in the back so no rear passengers. We then bought the hilux as per my last post and now own 'a not so small' motormome. Try as they might, we won't leave here!!

Some on here own mazda bongo's / ford freda's. I think they can get into car parks ok but not sure about rear seat belts etc.

Glen

Comment

First time owners

Glen,

This will be our first time owning a motorhome although we have hired one years ago for a holiday. We think we ought to do a hire again before committing to buy just to see whether we can cope (we are both pretty active and fit 60+ year olds). Most hirers however only hire the all singing all dancing massive machines.

We don't want a massive machine as we think we would like to use the motorhome as an every day car and so save on insurance/road tax etc etc as well as not having to find space to park two vehicles.

This is the beginning therefore of our search and we are trying to gather as much info as possible before taking the big step,

Cheers and thanks again

Ivor

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor3648 View Post
                  Most hirers however only hire the all singing all dancing massive machines.

These hire out a relatively small motorhome, a toyota hiace. I have never used them, have nothing to do with them, haven't owned the vehicle etc but it maybe of use to you???

There is also someone who rents out their nu-venture ( similar to romahome) in scotland. The same website has a couple of other 2-3-4 berth to rent.

A different site has a mazda bongo if thats of interest??

Comment

Have also found a romahome duo thats available to rent, although the ad was listed in 2008 here and a dimension here

Comment

Glen,

Thanks for all the pointers. Certainly worth looking in to,

Cheers

Ivor

Comment

Looks like you need a Romahome HyLo Plus

We had one for two years, purchased for precisely the same reasons as you set out, - low height to get in garage, height barriered car parks etc (Duos and Outlooks are too tall) - normal camping use for two people but with ability to carry extra passengers.

The rear passenger seats are a modular unit complete with their own individual 3 point seat belt and clamp to the floor after taking out the front "storage box" part of the sofa/beds. Easy to change over, but the seats weigh a ton. You can leave them in the van full time, they fold down to make the beds, but storage in the van is reduced accordingly. One plus point we found in the Plus version is that the floor behind the cab seats is lower than the standard Outlook/HyLo (to give footroom for the rear passengers) and so if using the van without the passenger seats there is increased space for carrying bulky camping junk.

I am not sure about the pullman seating arrangement. We looked at one and it did not seem quite right for us. It might, however, tick the boxes for you, in which case a HyLo with pullman is what you need.

Be careful about buying a brand new HyLo (not even sure if the Plus is still being made) as the remaining Berlingos being built have a lower payload than the earlier ones, so certain reductions in spec have become necessary - at least that was what I was told by a Romahome sales person.

Go for the newest you can afford and you should find the answer to your needs.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by barry5 View Post
                          One plus point we found in the Plus version is that the floor behind the cab seats is lower than the standard Outlook/HyLo (to give footroom for the rear passengers) and so if using the van without the passenger seats there is increased space for carrying bulky camping junk.

Barry
                          Thanks very much for your very useful reply Barry. Good to hear from someone with direct experience and the same sort of needs as us.

Regarding what you say in the quote above, if you take out the rear passenger seat(s) can you still make up full length beds in the back? I thought that the passenger seat folded flat to give the base of the beds so if you take them out to go camping where do you sleep - in the tent you have stored in the extra space provided?????

Cheers

Ivor

Comment

Hello Ivor

Welcome to the forum, I see you have got lots of advice already from our friendly band of motorhomers.

Not sure whether anyone has mentioned this but Ant at Avon Motor Caravans used to do a "Try before you buy" scheme, whereby you could hire a van at a cost and if you bought one then the cost would be taken off your purchase. Might be worth asking him if he still does it, he is a member of this forum.

Best of luck with your search.
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Graham,

Thanks for the welcome. I must say for a members of less than 24hrs I have gathered a great deal from the various postings and congratulate you on a vibrant forum.

Ant did reply to my post regarding seatbelts in the technical section of the forum but did not mention a "Try before you buy scheme" and their website does not mention it - perhaps I will email the company direct.

Cheers

Ivor

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X