As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barmouth

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barmouth

This might sound like a silly question, but I am staying in the caravan site at Barmouth and I came down a very steep hill, I wasn't taking the van (R20) out today but will be tomorrow, do I go up this hill in first gear, have other people stayed on this site, I am a little bit concerned about the hill.

HI MEGAN
    If you mean Hendre Mynach. We stayed there this year in our R25 no problem in 1st gear we picked the wrong time charged us about 30 pound a night
    BRIAN

Comment

Thanks for that, I'm paying £16.00 for the first 2 nights then £13.00 for the next 2 nights, £30.00 seems an awful lot.

Comment

COUGH splutter cough splutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttter

HOW MUCH??!! did I hear £30.... my good that is bed and breakfast levels

Comment

Seems very expensive on the Barmouth side of the coast these days. It didn't used to be though. If you go further along, to Harlech, there are a few campsites there that don't charge what they do! Or back to the toll bridge and stay on the Fairbourne side, getting a ferry if you want to go to Barmouth itself. My son wild camps on Fairbourne island (which is not an island, by the way) to go fishing quite a lot. Campervans are also allowed on Shell Island on the way to Harlech, and not nearly as expensive there either.

I've been going to Barmouth since I was a child, first in Dad's towing vehicles, then in Dad's static caravan, then in our own caravan later on with our own family!

Now my children and mys sister's children go there in their own tents/campers! And they stay at Hendre Mynach! We used to stay a bit further down the coast, at Sunnysands. Hendre was shut last year for refurbishing, so it might be better than it was, the ground there used to flood regularly.

Lovely memories of Barmouth. Before they blocked off the island into the harbour with a walkway/wall, the tide used to come right up to the prom, now there are sand dunes and the sea has receded quite a way off. My favourite place to hang out as a teenager was in the little Lobster Cafe next to the harbour. I think there are approx 12 churches!...most seem to be 'pounds shops' now.

Enjoy your stay - while your there, just have a look at the other sites, there are lots down that stretch of coast. The cheapest are up in the hills on the farms.
          for eg: http//www.merthyrfarm.co.uk/rates.html

I don't understand why the campsites around Barmouth charge so much! Still - you're there now, so have a lovely time! I hope the weather stays good for you!

Comment

Hendre Mynach was one of our regular haunts when our children were young. Really handy for the beach, small fun fair, shops etc and near to beautiful countryside. It is steep in terms of fees, but is always full over the summer.
            We've always managed the hill out no problem, so I wouldn't worry about that, we've been in our van, in an old Type 2 and towing a folding camper, all without problem.
            The Mawddach estuary is a really gorgeous area, have fun.
            Aileen.

Comment

[QUOTE=jayjay;29040]

Enjoy your stay - while your there, just have a look at the other sites, there are lots down that stretch of coast. The cheapest are up in the hills on the farms.
              for eg: http//www.merthyrfarm.co.uk/rates.html

QUOTE]

-------------------------------
              ooh. Looks lovely - pity it isn't open now for winter camping. Know any similar places in that area that WOULD be open, by any chance, please?
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X