This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

google maps

I have been planning a trip to Scotland. I like to plan in intense detail, working out directions through a town to my destination, using street view. Imagine my suprise whilst negotiating through the streets of Oban, I found myself following a C15 Hightop. I almost waved !!
    Alan

C15 aside, which is certainly a coincidence, though not unique as evidenced on a thread posted elsewhere. Navigating the streets via Google Earth is very much a help in finding places. You can even read the street signs and signposts at most junctions.
    Before I left for the Tiverton Meet I did likewise and was able to identify landmarks along the way confirming I was still on track. Even being able to identify the not very visible site entrance as I approached it. I consider it better than my Sat Nav.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I use Google Earth and street view a lot.
      One thing that did amuse me though, I know they blur the faces of anyone in the pictures but there was an advert for Kentucky Fried Chicken on a phone box and their facial recognition program had blocked the face of Colonel Sanders.

Peter

Comment

Haven't used Streetview to navigate yet.

I did use GoogleMaps back in September to check my route to a friends place out in the sticks in Aberdeenshire.

I laughed aloud when I realised that, for the last half-mile to their croft, I was being directed along what may have been a cart track in the past, but certainly hasn't been passable (or even visible!) for the twenty years they've lived there.
        Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
          Haven't used Streetview to navigate yet.

I did use GoogleMaps back in September to check my route to a friends place out in the sticks in Aberdeenshire.

I laughed aloud when I realised that, for the last half-mile to their croft, I was being directed along what may have been a cart track in the past, but certainly hasn't been passable (or even visible!) for the twenty years they've lived there.

No different to my Sat Nav then! Which, by the way, I no longer use!

Did you see the lorry on television yesterday jammed between two houses by his Sat Nav? Well, by the directions of his Sat Nav anyway. Not sure how much the idiocy of the driver contributed though.
          Apparently it took hours to remove it, and not without more damage.
          Jim.
          Last edited by Twolitre; 03-11-2011, 21:19.

Comment

Google

I have Google Maps with Street View and Google Earth on my phone, and find this a great tool to have compared to a satnav.
            It has a navigation option too.
            I used this to pinpoint a holiday home my parents were staying in, so I could pick them up, and I described the house, the street it was on and the pub that was nearby
            Home is where you park it :laughing:

Comment

I have been studying Google maps and street views for round my area, which I know so well being an ex-taxi driver (among other things). Since ArtooO,s comments about lack of update (or errors?).
              It is obvious that airiel views are well out of date in many cases, which is hardly surprising when you consider the vast amount of data which had to be amassed and collated for the whole world. However, views change radically over a very short space of time.
              The maps though are sometimes 3 or 4 years or more out of dates in quite important respects as regards new roads and road junctions etc.
              Even junction 29A of the M1 completed at least two years ago is not shown. Though there are some vague, unexplained yellow lines on the airial view which disappear as you zoom in. Perhaps they represent furure roads?
              Not good for relying on for route planning.

Yes, I know I have spelled "Airial" in different ways. Just try looking it up in the dictionary!
              Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                I have been studying Google maps and street views for round my area, which I know so well being an ex-taxi driver (among other things). Since ArtooO,s comments about lack of update (or errors?).
                It is obvious that airiel views are well out of date in many cases, which is hardly surprising when you consider the vast amount of data which had to be amassed and collated for the whole world. However, views change radically over a very short space of time.
                The maps though are sometimes 3 or 4 years or more out of dates in quite important respects as regards new roads and road junctions etc.
                Even junction 29A of the M1 completed at least two years ago is not shown. Though there are some vague, unexplained yellow lines on the airial view which disappear as you zoom in. Perhaps they represent furure roads?
                Not good for relying on for route planning.

Yes, I know I have spelled "Airial" in different ways. Just try looking it up in the dictionary!Jim.

Jim The yellow lines as far as I am aware are the route of the camera van/car doing street view
                ie no yellow line no street view there is a date at the bottom of the maps in rural areas this can be as much as 5 years old.
                I must admit if I have time when going to a strange area / destination I will consult Google earth and street view for directions or more importantly stopping places it is a boon in those circumstances

Alf

Comment

I think Jim was referring to this thread

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2774

Still can't believe it!
                  Where would I be without all those hundreds of poi's (points of interest) of French Campsites on my Google Earth map with Streetview pictures of their entrances.

Tony Anchorman
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by anchorman View Post
                    I think Jim was referring to this thread

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2774

Still can't believe it!
                    Where would I be without all those hundreds of poi's (points of interest) of French Campsites on my Google Earth map with Streetview pictures of their entrances.

Tony Anchorman
                    Yes Tony I did refer to that thread in the second post here. Referring to the coincidental capture of two Romahomes.
                    That picture has the type of yellow lines (and often white). To which I think Alf 39 is referring. And which I know you can "navigate".

The yellow lines I was referring to related to the MAP of J29 M1. They were just yellow lines superimposed across grassland from the nearby road to the M1. As I zoomed in on the map they disappeared long before "street view" was reached. They did follow the approximate line of the now extant slip-roads.
                    Jim.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X