removal of body shell from c15

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert25910
    robert25910
    • Feb 2010

removal of body shell from c15

Hi can anybody advise me on the procedure for removal of fibreglass body off one rusted c15 romahome to refit on a 04 c15 van any advice will be gratefully received many thanks Bob
  • barry5
    Silver Poster
    • Oct 2007

There have been many threads about this in the past. The general impression I have gained from reading them is that it's not a good idea; Romahome apparently fixed the bodies to the C15 so that they cannot easily be removed whilst retaining their strength; Romahome used a C15 chassis/cab rather than a cut down van (apart from the very early ones); the later C15 vans had less payload than those used by Romahome; Romahome disowned all responsibility for any such re-mounting and demanded that all branding be removed; etc etc.

Perhaps Graham can track down the past (archived?) discussions and include them in a post.

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but others on this forum may be able to give more detail.

Barry

Comment

• robert25910
      robert25910
      • Feb 2010

thank you barry for your reply it certainly makes me think that it is not an option

Comment

• Graham
        Admin
        • Apr 2006

I've found THIS THREAD on our old forum, when Pendel asked a similar question of Ant.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

• robert25910
          robert25910
          • Feb 2010

Grahamm, thank you for forwarding thread many thanks regards Bob

Comment

• jayjay
            Diamond Poster
            • Sep 2007

It doesn't mean to say it can't be done though, does it? I remember KiwiDave and a few others who had no choice but to swap vehicles or scrap the whole thing, which is an awful shame for the Romahome body.

Perhaps you could find the thread from KiwiDave about how he did it. However, I am talking about the demountable versions here. I think they might be different from the non-demountables.

Comment

• Graham
              Admin
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              It doesn't mean to say it can't be done though, does it? I remember KiwiDave and a few others who had no choice but to swap vehicles or scrap the whole thing, which is an awful shame for the Romahome body.

Perhaps you could find the thread from KiwiDave about how he did it. However, I am talking about the demountable versions here. I think they might be different from the non-demountables.
              Indeed, in the case of Dave, it was a demountable, they are meant to be taken off the back of the vehicle, so for Dave it was a simpler task of finding a new host vehicle.

I think what robert25910 is talking about is a fixed Romahome i.e. a normal C15 Romahome Hitop a totally different kettle of fish.
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

• barry5
                Silver Poster
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Yes they are totally different.

By definition, demountables are meant to be demounted. The clue lies in the name

C15 and Berlingo based Romas have the body very firmly fixed to the base vehicle. Major surgery is required to separate them.

No doubt it can and has been done, but Romahome Ltd disown any such rebodied C15's, no doubt since they would not wish to be associated with one that goes "wrong".

From memory, on the old forum I seem to recall that one member became quite good at spotting such examples for sale, usually on e-bay. (No come back against a seller of a dodgy van! ;) ). I also recall seeing several threads about this, in addition to the one hauled up by Graham.

Does any one else recall this, or am I losing the plot :confused:

Barry

Comment

• Graham
                  Admin
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by barry5 View Post

From memory, on the old forum I seem to recall that one member became quite good at spotting such examples for sale, usually on e-bay. (No come back against a seller of a dodgy van! ;) ). I also recall seeing several threads about this, in addition to the one hauled up by Graham.

Does any one else recall this, or am I losing the plot :confused:
                  Yes, I think it was Peter Holden who has highlighted several of these vehicles on ebay.

Peter is still around and I'm sure he will be along to give his advice on this as well.
                  Graham

Comment

• Nu Venture, Cleethorpes
                    Bronze Poster
                    • Nov 2009

Re cabbed c15..............

Hi there, having full professional,workshop facilitys been in the motor trade, most of my life, we did one for myself some years back,and i must quote NEVER again,its just not worth the hassle, of getting it ALL right,and believe me there is absolutly, loads to do which you cannot see.As you may know, the floor of your roma is grafted onto to the chassism ie, glassfibre,d..you almost have to wreck the the floor to part it", even with all the right tools/cutters, ect it took us about 3weeks, it was for myself so no problems regard time sspent on it ect,there is a heck of a lot to it when you start,plus not forgetting to get the right chassis,cab, ect, id strongly recomemd looking into it very closly, loads of"hidden exras"...and iff your not doing it your self well the cost would be too much to make it viable, i would say.But, dont let me put you off thats just my opion, but 5 c15,s later.... i do like them!and can see were you are drawn to doing it, but think hard!!!Taaake care , bob.
                    Rob,:thumbsup:

Comment

• robert25910
                      robert25910
                      • Feb 2010

once again many thanks to all replies much appriciated regards Bob

Comment

• lizzie
                        Gold Poster
                        • Nov 2008

Do you think we should be eco friendly and return old romahomes to their birthplace on the IOW to be ' born again' ? I suppose the demise of the smaller chassis rules this out but it does seem a shame when you see an old C15 with a rusty base but an almost perfect Roma body. All credit to Island Plastics for their quality manufacture but it does leave those who love their Romas with a dilemma!

Lizzie

Comment

• Ian.C.S
                          Diamond Poster
                          • Jun 2009

recycling romas

Originally posted by lizzie View Post
                          Do you think we should be eco friendly and return old romahomes to their birthplace on the IOW to be ' born again' ? I suppose the demise of the smaller chassis rules this out but it does seem a shame when you see an old C15 with a rusty base but an almost perfect Roma body. All credit to Island Plastics for their quality manufacture but it does leave those who love their Romas with a dilemma!

Lizzie
                          Hello Lizzie,
                          nice idea, but the cost would be higher than making a new one. Disposal of fibre glass is a problem,it cannot be recycled, buried or burned. The East Germans had the same problem with the old Trabant car.Many trabbie body shells were crushed and used in "light" concrete for housing block.
                          Dont think Health and Safety would like that today.
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

• peterholden
                            Diamond Poster
                            • Dec 2006

Hi

Yes I have been watching this thread with interest.

Indeed there is one on ebay at the moment item 270533396055 being advertised by Broadland Leisure Vehicles and this is their reply when I asked about the camper shell not matching the van

"Yes we have re-shelled many of the C15 style
                            Romahomes over the years and have had many
                            inspected by Romehome themselves and always been
                            given a glowing report.

The vehicle in question is in super condition and
                            the body is off a 1990.

Many Thanks
                            Broadland Leisure"

Interesting given that Romahome say that it is a complete no no and vehicles should not be sold as "Romahomes"

By the way the price is £8,495.00 - I would have expected a genuine one for this price

Peter

Comment

• barry5
                              Silver Poster
                              • Oct 2007

Just a thought ...

Since the Roma body is so tough and long lasting, has anyone approached the problem from the other angle, that is to spend the time and money in restoring the C15 around the existing 'van body.

Are replacement wing panels, door skins etc available? How difficult would it be to weld repair a rusted chassis beneath the retained 'van or weld in a new main bulkhead?

Would it be more or less expensive than buying a Roma on a rusted C15 PLUS buying a replacement solid C15 and then spending time and morey to move the 'van body with all the hassle involved?

Just a thought ...

Barry

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X