As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first ever small motorhome?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first ever small motorhome?

A BIG thank you to diggdeep for sharing this copy with us, could this be the first ever small motorhome.

So now we know where Romahome got their ideas. Did Brian Bailey's grandfather make this?

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/thefirstsmallmot.html
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Kampers and Kars in parkstone poole have a 1936 pontiac in the showroom,complete with underfloor bath, and all accessories of the period

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      A BIG thank you to diggdeep for sharing this copy with us, could this be the first ever small motorhome.

So now we know where Romahome got their ideas. Did Brian Bailey's grandfather make this?

http://smallmotorhome.co.uk/thefirstsmallmot.html
      WOW what a beauty,thankyou for sharing this Tom.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Now, that IS beautiful! But I'm afraid nothing will quite beat my father's 'arrangement', shall we call it ...

Get up at three oclock in the morning. Put three children side by side in car, still asleep (apart from the oldest one ...). Drive hundreds of miles before motorways were invented to either Cornwall, or Scotland, stopping for breakfast at a passing hotel. Drive even further down roads with grass growing down the middle, then on to muddy tracks. Stop. Ignoring thundering rain, remove front passenger seat to make a further (!) sleeping space for wife. Sleep upright in front driver's seat. Later ... let wife cook for three children and husband on errant primus stove in pouring rain. Repeat for a week.

We did progress on to a Dormabile and tent eventually. It still rained every time, though.

Comment

Wow! I've never seen anything quite like that! Thanks for sharing, Tom!

Comment

Originally posted by maid of soay View Post
            Now, that IS beautiful! But I'm afraid nothing will quite beat my father's 'arrangement', shall we call it ...

Get up at three oclock in the morning. Put three children side by side in car, still asleep (apart from the oldest one ...). Drive hundreds of miles before motorways were invented to either Cornwall, or Scotland, stopping for breakfast at a passing hotel. Drive even further down roads with grass growing down the middle, then on to muddy tracks. Stop. Ignoring thundering rain, remove front passenger seat to make a further (!) sleeping space for wife. Sleep upright in front driver's seat. Later ... let wife cook for three children and husband on errant primus stove in pouring rain. Repeat for a week.

We did progress on to a Dormabile and tent eventually. It still rained every time, though.
            Well it's funny now, I bet your Mum wasn't very happy!

Comment

I like the note about the cedar wood hanging in the corners for the scent. Must have been the original 'Magic tree' air-fresheners as well!

Comment

It looks wonderful
                Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Thanks, Tom, it's a beauty but I wonder what it weighs! It would be free of tax now as an Historic vehicle. But I still like my Hylo. Graham and Carole

Comment

Wow - what a find and what a fascinating article. Thank you for sharing it, Diggdeep!

Comment

Very nice. I love the craftsmanship that has gone into that interior and it seems very well designed, considering the designer likely had fewer examples to follow.

This spring, I visited the Citroen Museum near Castellane, France and found the grand-daddy of the Romahome built on a Citroen chassis.

In 1949 Monsieur Jean Baert bought the first Citroen HZ truck off the production line to use as a camper.

According to French law at the time, he had to paint it green to use it for camping sauvage (wild camping).

He used it for his holidays for 25 years, putting 22,597 km on the clock and then locked it in his garage.

In 1999 it was acquired by the owner of the CitroMuseum near Castellane, a passionate collector of every model of Citroen, all in original condition and with very low mileage.

And that is where I discovered it on a Sunday afternoon.

For the technical types, the vehicle had a payload of 850kg, and was powered by a 1911 CC 4 cylinder engine putting out 50 BHP at 3800 rpm. Top speed was indicated at 88 kph.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X