As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've just bought a Romahome!

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just bought a Romahome!

Well, almost!

Yep, after years of longing and a final year of deliberating after selling my Roo, I've now splashed out on a Romahome - at least I have reserved one from a dealer and will be paying my deposit tomorrow subject to confirming a few things including service history and paperwork.

It's a 2005 HiLo, one owner (Shropshire, I think), low-mileage and in very good condition. I think it's been loved!

I have two questions:
    1. Could anyone advise when the cambelt should be changed for the 2005 Berlingo 2litre HDi engine?

2. Which gas bottles fit into the locker/s? I'd like to use propane if possible rather than the more expensive Camping Gaz. Will the 6kg(?) cylinders fit? (None are included and with none in sight, I couldn't judge the sizes.)

Can't wait! :so happy:
    Last edited by karenw; 02-12-2011, 00:32.

Im sure Ant will advise on the cambelt

The biggest gas cylinder is the calor 3.9 propane which when used for the fridge and hob seems to last forever. Unless it has hot water you should be able to carry a spare in the drivers side outside locker.

Hope it lives up to your expectations.

Peter

Comment

WOW. Congratulations. Really exciting.:so happy:

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        Well, almost!

Yep, after years of longing and a final year of deliberating after selling my Roo, I've now splashed out on a Romahome - at least I have reserved one from a dealer and will be paying my deposit tomorrow subject to confirming a few things including service history and paperwork.

It's a 2005 HiLo, one owner (Shropshire, I think), low-mileage and in very good condition. I think it's been loved!

I have two questions:
        1. Could anyone advise when the cambelt should be changed for the 2005 Berlingo 2litre HDi engine?

2. Which gas bottles fit into the locker/s? I'd like to use propane if possible rather than the more expensive Camping Gaz. Will the 6kg(?) cylinders fit? (None are included and with none in sight, I couldn't judge the sizes.)

Can't wait! :so happy:
        Now will you come to the spring meet? hoho, change your cambelt asap,it is not worth chancing it,the cost is modest and you will have peace of mind.
        welcome to the world of warm cosy camping,join the roma club,lots of meets and they are inexpensive, and are just like us,come to think of it,loads of us are them.
        Congratulations.
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Whoopee! Congratulations. :so happy: Enjoy and have lots of miles of safe travel and adventures.
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Excellent, well done Karen :so happy:

Welcome to the world of Romahomes, you won't regret it. You can start posting in this section now.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Well well! Fancy our die-hard-in-the-wool wildie getting a roma!

You will love the comfort! Congratulations on your purchase - and Enjoy!:so happy:

Comment

Congratulations Karenw as old Stockers says, change your cambelt asap, it is not worth chancing it, the cost is modest and you will have peace of mind. My sentiments exactly, first thing I do when I change my vehicle, happy camping,
                Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                'Live without regrets'

Comment

WONDERFUL! I think it will keep you very cosy on your winter adventures. Hopefully we will get to see you and perhaps some rabbits in 2012
                  Mary

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Peter - Thanks for your advice re the propane. I picked up a 3.9kg propane cylinder in the summer so I'm already equipped. There's a regulator fitted to the van - I've no idea what type or whether they need changing for different cylinders. I feel like a complete newbie here now!!

Re the cambelt, I'm still trying to get the service history on the van. Citroen say the changing interval is 100k miles or 10 years - the van has only done about 20k so is it still necessary? I've been trying to push for this with the dealer but I can see he's not keen (and I've already negotiated a discount plus trade-in on my van). I'm getting some quotes...

JayJay - I'm not really die-hard. I have my secret electric blanket, remember....?! ;o)

Vanderella - it's not the most practical van for transporting buns but a pet carrier will fit comfortably in the rear!

A Romahome has always been my dream but there have been so many impracticalities eg carrying hay bales, sacks of leaky rabbit poo, collecting bulk rabbit feed, business use insurance etc. Circumstances have changed slightly over the last year and one way or another, most of the impracticalities have been overcome largely thanks to my helpful husband.

I'd still like to do a van adaptation but the heater installation costs, insurance, 20% VAT penalty, depreciation and sheer quantity of vans available has lead me to rethink. Romahomes hold their value; vans don't.

It's also taken the death of a friend aged 43, another friend with a cancer diagnosis at 46 and mum-in-law, currently propped up in bed following a stroke but happily reliving old memories, to come to the conclusion that sometimes it's more important to 'live for today'.

Righto... I think I've (nearly) convinced myself now so time to start arranging that deposit!
                    Last edited by karenw; 02-12-2011, 13:04.

Comment

twin1

when we bought our duo 2005 we took in staright in for a new cambelt even though it had only done 54.000. The age told us it needed it. When we collected it they said we had had a very lucky escape. It would have shredded at any time.

When we changed it recently we made an agreement with the garage to have them put a new one on in with the deal.

So pleased for you , wishing you lots of happy travels in your new abode.

Comment

Thanks for the information about the cambelt. When I start up, most times, but not all, there is a noise which I did think was the cambelt slipping - and then it goes away. I think it's more when the engine is cold - would that be right? I've got the service history, and apparently it was changed at 70K miles, I bought it with 88 on the clock, now 89 with me.

Anyway, first thing on Monday I'm going to take it to the chap round the corner. As it's an old vehicle, well looked after, but old, I'd like it checked out thoroughly. I'd gathered Romahomes keep their value, but I want to keep it in good nick, not just for that, but preventative breaking down avoidance mainly.

I really love my new-to-me Romahome. Everyone says I've now joined the eccentric club, but I also notice pretty much the same people (err, my family) say how handy it is - for them to borrow!

I have plans to do a circuit of southern England, visiting friends and rellies, in January, and a friend and I are looking to visit N France, Paris and Monet's garden in April. Oh, and my sister has suggested we go to Scotland.

Comment

Karen - go with the cambelt change and ignore Citroen recommendadtions. Low mileage is as bad for a cambelt as high if the age is 5 yrs or more. The belt will stand for long periods bent over a pulley. look what happens to tyres when they are stood. Cost should not be too expensive as long as you keep away from the main agent. Balance that against the cost if it breaks.

You have a fixed regulator and need a pigtail to match your gas bottle - not too expensive and available from any reputable caravan dealer who should be able to show you how to fit it.

Maid of Soay - you would not hear a cam belt slipping because it cannot. It could jump a tooth and you would almost certainly have a wrecked engine. That is clearly not the case. It could be the belt that drives the alternator (commonly called the fan belt although it no longer drives a fan). When you start up the alternator works very hard to recharge the battery. If it is at all slack it will slip.

Hope all this is useful

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                            Karen - go with the cambelt change and ignore Citroen recommendadtions. Low mileage is as bad for a cambelt as high if the age is 5 yrs or more. The belt will stand for long periods bent over a pulley. look what happens to tyres when they are stood. Cost should not be too expensive as long as you keep away from the main agent. Balance that against the cost if it breaks.

You have a fixed regulator and need a pigtail to match your gas bottle - not too expensive and available from any reputable caravan dealer who should be able to show you how to fit it.

Hope all this is useful

Peter
                            Thanks for your advice (definitely useful as I have a lot to learn re 'posh campers'!)

I have cambelt quotes and will almost certainly accept your advice on this. I don't like taking gambles with expensive vehicles.

I'm a complete newbie where the gas is concerned but I have a Calor propane bottle so thought I'd simply take this along in the hope that the dealer will connect it as part of the demo that the gas etc is working correctly.

Comment

Thats a good idea

When we changed to our current Romahome Richard Baldwins asked us to take our gas cylinder when we went to collect so that they could demonstrated everything for us. ITwasnt a great hardship as we were trading in our C15 and there were lots of bits that we wanted to transfer.

If it already has a butane pigtail dont let him con you into buying a propane one. Tell him that you want the converter for the end. This gives you the best of both worlds as you can always use a butane cylinder in an emergency. We also have a fitting that allows us to connect to a camping gas connector.

We are away this weekend (my dads 90th birthday). When we are home I will try to take some photos

Peter
                              Last edited by peterholden; 03-12-2011, 07:47.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X