X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any opinions please.

Hi
    My partner is looking for a small motorhome and a DAIHATSU HI-JET Romahome has come up for sale. I already know and trust the build quality of the Romahome brand but have never had any experience of the Daihatsu brand.
    Does anyone have any opinions on whether they are reliable and what the rust situation is like?

Peter

We had a demountable romahome on an x plate hijet 1.3, it's what led us to this forum. We had it a year or so and it was fairly reliable. Things that went wrong, broken rear spring, broken passenger seat mechanism (was snapped internally when we stripped the seat down), broken window winder mechanism (turned out to be a bolt missing so easy sorted) and twice it had a loss of power whilst driving but we never got to the bottom of that!! Only other issue was a wheel hub that hadn't been tighten propery and when found was only held in place by a split pin!!! No problem with rust.
    I was lead to believe the 1.3 petrol was the most reliable engine. If you like to listen to music whilst driving, there is no provision for a stereo unless you buy a centre console or fit one in the glove box, the space that looks like a stereo should be housed isn't deep enough. No aerial as standard either. Dealers for parts are scarce. Was fun to drive though but you are sat on the engine and have little in front of you should you be unlucky enough to be involved in an accident. Also part of the engine is only accessible from the flat bed part, underneath the romahome section although ours did have a hatch so the pod didn't have to be removed.

There is a data sheet on the main small motorhome website, there isn't a Haynes manual.

Hope that helps, if there is anything, just ask.
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

HI
      I had two HI JETS 900C from new when i had my plumbing firm both had the same trouble with the head gaskets blowing witch is very exspensive to renew since the engine is underneath the van.The first van lasted 10 years the second about 15 years i left cab heating on with the second van all the time to keep the engine cool i think this helped, as for the rust no trouble. Both vans went very well with no more trouble apart from the head gaskets .Being a Plumber both vans where driven pretty hard and well loaded.

BRIAN

Comment

It depends very much on the price. Remember that the camper back will also fit on the Suzuki pickup and the little Bedford but they are a bit long in the tooth. My mother in law's milkman runs a daihatsu pickup, its either his second or third and he swears by them.

Peter

Comment

I had a demountable romahome on a bedford rascal. It was ok, needed a bit spent on it, but I got it sorted out in the end. The problem with the smaller engines is that they don't go very fast up a hill! Some hills I went up (the long slow ones) had me in first gear at 6mph by the time I had got half way up..

Another point to consider (not withstanding the engine) is whether you are short enough to sleep in the bunks, as they are only just over 5ft in length on some models. So make sure you fit before you buy!

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
            We haven't been to look at it yet but the one thing we're having trouble with is getting an insurance quote. It's registered at Swansea as being a pickup and that means that the motor home part is classed as a load because it's demountable and therefore not included should a claim be made.
            Just tried the CC&C and even they won't insure a demountable.
            I would have thought that as the body is bolted on that it becomes part of the vehicle.
            Any suggestions or should she forget this one?

Peter

Comment

http://www.campton.co.uk/ will be very helpful, it's who we used.
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I have a Daihatsu Hijetta campervan, only done 32,000 miles, as for rust, Buzz is 14 year old, i know it wont apply to to what you are talking about regarding rust, because your potential purchase will not have side windows, well it will but they will be fibreglass but the windows on mine had rusted, had them done 2 month ago, as for the rest of the bodywork, rustfree!, hope this helps, pics of BUZZ in Photo section.
                Last edited by phoenix; 07-12-2011, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                  http://www.campton.co.uk/ will be very helpful, it's who we used.
                  Thanks Glen
                  We found them very helpful and will probably go with them as their quote was very reasonable.

Peter

Comment

Well,

After arranging with the bank to collect the cash today, arranging insurance cover to start tomorrow morning and being told that as we contacted the vendor first that we had first refusal, he sold it this morning to someone else. It was also on eBay with a buy it now price and someone bought it unseen.

The search goes on!

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Mayfair Pete View Post
                      Well,

After arranging with the bank to collect the cash today, arranging insurance cover to start tomorrow morning and being told that as we contacted the vendor first that we had first refusal, he sold it this morning to someone else. It was also on eBay with a buy it now price and someone bought it unseen.

The search goes on!

Peter
                      It wasn't meant to be. All that trouble arranging insurance and so on for nowt! I would be so angry...

However, you may have had a lucky escape! TBH, after having a demountable, I would definately (if I had the dosh) go for one of the Citroen based romas, probably a Hi-Lo, as I could also use it as a car. I had to keep my car on the road as well, for when I wanted to get somewhere fast. The cost of keeping two vehicles on the road was too much for me - so now I have a diddy caravan!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayfair Pete View Post
                        Well,

The search goes on!

Peter
                        Sorry to hear you missed that one.
                        Keep your eyes out for a Romahome "freespirit" fitted by Romahome to the Daihatsu hijet themselves. Made around 1999 but some were registered as late as 2001. Interior of camper pod very nice similar to a Duo of the period. Make sure its got a liesure battery some run from cab only. 240v hook would be nice too.

Comment

Further thoughts - if someone has bought it unseen, they could well walk away when they see it in the flesh! (If that happens, see if you can contact them (the buyer) through ebay and ask why they did so... could be a really good reason why they refused the deal...)

My romahome was bought on a buy it now - then the person who hit the button said she hadn't realised it was so far from London...couldn't travel this far to get it and the deal was off. So I had to relist it at my expense... But I did say the relisting was dur to a timewaster. Plenty of those playing about with buy it now buttons.....

So the seller may come back to you yet with a further offer!
                          Last edited by jayjay; 10-12-2011, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                            Further thoughts - if someone has bought it unseen, they could well walk away when they see it in the flesh! (If that happens, see if you can contact them (the buyer) through ebay and ask why they did so... could be a really good reason why they refused the deal...)

My romahome was bought on a buy it now - then the person who hit the button said she hadn't realised it was so far from London...couldn't travel this far to get it and the deal was off. So I had to relist it at my expense... But I did say the relisting was dur to a timewaster. Plenty of those playing about with buy it now buttons.....

We've been in contact again and if the sale doesn't go through he will let us know. Could be that the buyer will be the same as yours as he is in the north of Scotland and the Romahome is in South Wales.

We'll wait and see.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

Had a phone call yesterday to say that the buyer from Scotland thought it was to far to travel to collect so has pulled out of the deal (so why did he hit the "Buy it now" button).
                              Weather permitting, we're of to South Wales in the morning to view it. Unfortunately we won't be able to bring it back if we like it as there was no time to arrange insurance cover or a pocket full of cash.
                              If June wants it then I'll get the train down and pick it up during the week.

Fingers crossed.

Peter.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X