X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winter camping in Romahome

Hi everyone,
    I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow to pick up a new dog. The weather is pretty awful and I may have to stop somewhere ovenight on the way back. Anyone got any tips for me? Anyone camped in the winter? Did you freeze to death?? Or could you put me in the direction of any other useful threads on here?
    Thanks Sue
    (on a snowy Isle of Skye!)

Welcome Sue, yes there are some hardy people on here who will come along shortly I am sure. You do not say if you have onboard heating or not. On a hook up I am sure you will be fine with a electric heater. I think I would think carefully regarding waste water and fresh water otherwise why not.

Comment

We use our Romahome all year round.

Good sleeping bags
      Hot water bottle.
      Plenty of layers
      Quick hot meals like soups

We have a diesel heater but we did not use it when we were away this weekend and we didnt know that there had been a frost. When travelling we always make sure that the heater blows into the back so Ithat it is warm to start with. It beats winter camping in a tent and am speaking from experience.

Peter

Comment

When it gets really cold, I propose to put the roof down (R20), wear thermals, have a hot water bottle and extra blankets. Maybe try out the little electric heater, maybe boil the kettle occasionally, followed by a quick open / close of the door to be sure of the ventilation. Oh, and hot drinks / hot food.

Good luck - we survived camping with heavy frost outside our canvas tent once, hawling junior into bed with us to act as a hot water bottle!

Safe travels.
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by SkyeSue View Post
          Hi everyone,
          I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow to pick up a new dog. The weather is pretty awful and I may have to stop somewhere ovenight on the way back. Anyone got any tips for me? Anyone camped in the winter? Did you freeze to death?? Or could you put me in the direction of any other useful threads on here?
          Thanks Sue
          Well done you,the dog is going to get a good home that's for sure.What model is it?

Comment

Highland Trip

Hi everyone,
            Thanks Sue
            It seems you have snow on Skye I assume you will travel via Glencoe the CCC site in Glencoe itself closed on the 5th Dec but the site at the side of Loch Leven ... Invercoe Caravan site is open you would properly need a EHU in this weather and with a new dog .... see here

http://www.invercoe.co.uk/touring-an...n-glencoe.html

If you need to wildcamp there is a good spot At the Bridge of Orchy turn on to the road that goes to the Inveroran Hotel over the bridge and on the left opposite the picnic area is a good hardstanding by the West Highland Way sign
            Good Luck with the trip let us know how you get on

ps pack a shovel

Comment

Originally posted by twin1 View Post
              ... What model is it?
              The dog or the camper??
              Geoff

Comment

Just returned from a 4 night round trip, one Brit Stop, one CL, one wildcamp and one C&CC club site. Two of those nights had EHU, allowing me to run my oil-filled radiator which did an OK job, with a few bursts of the diesel air-blown heater to help out until I was in bed under several layers + hot water bottle (radiator then turned down).

On the nights without EHU I wasn't sitting around in the 'van (in pub eating one night, late arrival after long drive the other) so not cold until the following morning at which point a mug of coffee and a few minutes of the Webasto did the trick.

Cooking or even boiling the kettle warms the van up nicely.
                Neil

Comment

I'd echo everyone else's replies. If you wear layers and keep warm it's much better than trying to get warm again. When we winter camp, we always have a hot drink before we get up in the morning. It warms both us and the van up.
                  On the way back from the Shetlands last year, we got stuck in snow just south of Aberdeen, there was total gridlock. We'd already pulled over into a layby, so sat smugly in our sleeping bags with a hot chocolate in hand. A great advantage over travelling by car!
                  Aileen

Comment

Hi skye sue, if you are living on skye you'll know as well as anyone how useless weather forecasts are!! All you can do is (as everyone else says) use your common sense and be well prepared!! Wish you safe journey - especially around Glencoe and Glenshiel!!
                    Maybe see you in passing somewhere along the way in the future--

Best Wishes from Glendale

Comment

thank you everyone for your very helpful replies Well, I have decided to postpone my trip until Saturday as the forecast is for "terrifying force" winds. I have a C15 Hi Top (I think that's what its called anyway!) and I have to confess I hate driving it in the wind...for too scarey for a wuss like me! Winds are predicted to reach 80mph in places like Glen Coe, so am hanging on till its calmer. At least I feel better about sleeping in it on a cold night now thanks to your comments!!
                      The model of the dog is a liver and white springer spaniel...1 year old rescue dog to be sister to my 3 year old cocker spaniel!!!!

Comment

I think you're doing the right thing, Sue. Nothing worse than high winds, it makes a small van really unstable. If you ever have to drive in windy conditions, put something heavy in the van to keep it on the road! In actual fact, mine was much more stable heavily laden than just packed with stuff for an overnighter. My spare wheel and awning always travelled inside the van in the middle over the axle for added stability.

A springer spaniel! Hope she settles well. If you have to stay overnight somewhere, try a local pub or hotel, ask if you can stay on their car park in exchange for a meal in their pub. You could actually phone the hotels on your route before you go to see if any of them will allow that.

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                          The dog or the camper??
                          OH SORRY ,the dog of course.

Comment

thank you everyone for your very helpful replies Well, I have decided to postpone my trip until Saturday as the forecast is for "terrifying force" winds. I have a C15 Hi Top (I think that's what its called anyway!) and I have to confess I hate driving it in the wind...for too scarey for a wuss like me! Winds are predicted to reach 80mph in places like Glen Coe, so am hanging on till its calmer. At least I feel better about sleeping in it on a cold night now thanks to your comments!!
                            The model of the dog is a liver and white springer spaniel...1 year old rescue dog to be sister to my 3 year old cocker spaniel!!!!
                            hi sue our middle son laurence has a springer spaniel and they are nic named the county dog let it off a lead and it races off in to the next county however his dog barney can run from wiltshire into gloucestershire and back again pretty quick they are really nice dogs and enjoy a lot of exercise

Comment

We had a Springer called Tess.

Her nickname was Houdini - 6 feet fences were no barrier.

Good luck!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X