As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I assume it's a Romahome.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume it's a Romahome.

If your saw my earlier thread "Any opinions please" you'll know that we were looking at a Daihatsu Hi Jet. We went to view it last Sunday and June loved it. We left a deposit and I caught the train this morning to Wales to collect it.
    It wasn't the best of days to drive across the Severn Bridge in something thats top heavy but I got home safely even if it was at under 50mph because of the high winds and driving rain.
    I'm not 100% sure it is actually a Romahome as there are no indications as to the manufacturer that I can see, but there again there is nothing to say that my Romini is one either as the only sticker on it said Bambino when I bought it.
    I'll take a couple of pictures over the weekend, it was to wet for me to take any this afternoon.

it looks like my Christmas break is going to be taking the fence down, taking a hedge out and putting a hardstanding in for it!

Peter

If it is the same one I saw on ebay, a red hijet with LPG conversion I am pretty certain it is a romahome, it looked identical to the one we owned. Glad you got it all sorted, at least the weather is going to be mild to get your landscaping done!!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
      If it is the same one I saw on ebay, a red hijet with LPG conversion I am pretty certain it is a romahome
      Hi Glen,
      You may be able to see it via this link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208024627...84.m1438.l2649

Peter

Comment

Very nice!! Looks like it has had a good renovation inside and out but I have no reason to doubt it is a romahome. Great that you got the legs and panels to make the diahatsu usable as a pick up too, the only thing I can't see that ours came with was a blanking plate to fill the hole at the front of the pod when it is demounted. It was only a flat piece of plastic with a couple of catches on the inside to secure it, possible not an original piece anyway.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Ooh, looks beautiful. Congraulations.
          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Yes it's a lovely Romahome! The interior is lovely as is the base vehicle - well done!

One thing - from the pics I saw that the car battery is in the same place mine was on the Bedford Rascal, down low on the passenger side (if I'm correct in assuming the square green thing on one of the pics is the battery). Mine was covered with a side panel, but if you had to go through a large puddle, and the connectors got wet, the engine would cut out. It only happened twice in all the time I had it, and after approx half an hour would start again! With the flooding this time of year, best to try to avoid the big puddles at the sides of the road!

See if you can find something to cover it with. The reason it's not covered is probably the same as mine (the metal box rotted) so find something as a splash shield for it.... a big plastic biscuit box might do the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

One thing - from the pics I saw that the car battery is in the same place mine was on the Bedford Rascal, down low on the passenger side (if I'm correct in assuming the square green thing on one of the pics is the battery).
              Hi
              Yes you're right, there are two batteries, one being the leisure battery. Yesterday whilst driving back I noticed that the engine management light came on every time I went through deeper water. Its something I'll have to look into and waterproof some of the connections not only around the batteries but on the engine electrics as well.

It looks as though I'll be busy looking after the 'fleet' this coming year, I've got 2 cars, 2 vans and 3 caravans (2 of which I'll sell in the spring) plus June now has 1 car and the Romahome.

Peter

Comment

Well you can always say you have all bases covered! Short stays, Romahome, longer stays, Romini, cars for the winter!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayfair Pete View Post
                  Hi
                  Yes you're right, there are two batteries, one being the leisure battery. Yesterday whilst driving back I noticed that the engine management light came on every time I went through deeper water. Its something I'll have to look into and waterproof some of the connections not only around the batteries but on the engine electrics as well.

It looks as though I'll be busy looking after the 'fleet' this coming year, I've got 2 cars, 2 vans and 3 caravans (2 of which I'll sell in the spring) plus June now has 1 car and the Romahome.

Peter
                  The engine ignition system running at anything between about 20 and 30 thousand volts is very susceptible to shorting out in water. But the rest, including the battery running at only 12 volts will not suffer even if submerged. Unless water finds its way into the battery via vented caps. Most unlikely.
                  The outfit looks very good, though I think the 70 mpg must be optimistic. I know, from running a fleet of taxis for many years the fuel consumption is about ten miles less per gallon than petrol, though still works out much cheaper. Don't be surprised though at a little power loss. Really only noticeable on hills where the need to change down is rather sooner than on the petrol version.
                  The real benefits of LPG were really noticeable on the taxis where the annual fuel saving per car was in the order of £600 at late 1970s prices.
                  JIm.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X